snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 28 July 2014, 02:55 PM

Forgive me for the double post, but I also thought of something else. Pizza, almost the official food of the USA usually comes cut in 8ths. but if you cut your own you can cut it how you like. Anyone should notice that pieces cut into 4ths are smaller than if cut into 3rds. I'm wretched at math and even I know these things.
Old 28 July 2014, 03:10 PM

Of course there is the unproven comment that many pizza buyers have allegedly made: "A pizza is 8 slices? Please cut it into only 6 slices. I can't eat 8 slices."
Old 28 July 2014, 03:11 PM

IME, nesting measuring cups work poorly because they can't live together for long. After you've owned them for a week or two, the 1/4 cup one decides to go live in the sugar container, the 1/3 cup one moves to the flour cannister, and the full cup one migrates so far no one is certain where it went.

ETA: As far as the full story, I find "Americans can't do fractions" plausible enough (my experience is that *people* do poorly at math, but most of the people I have in-person interactions with are American) but I have a hard time with "Americans are too bad at math to do fractions but still attempt math for comparison shopping." I would think the people who would try to compare dollar value of items would be those who had some experience with how numbers work.
Old 28 July 2014, 03:15 PM

ETA: In reply to Richard's comment about pizza slices: I've waited on some people that I suspect might think something like that. I've certainly never heard anyone make such a request, nor has anyone who takes orders from our "deli side" told such a story. And they would repeat a story like that over and over and over.
Old 28 July 2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I use a single measuring jug with different measures marked on it, not a nesting set. Is that weird?
Yes, definitely weird. Weird and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Pizza, almost the official food of the USA usually comes cut in 8ths.
Sorry, but pizza should be cut in squares; SQUARES I tell you!

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago...-pizza-chicago
Old 28 July 2014, 03:31 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustasteph View Post
IME, nesting measuring cups work poorly because they can't live together for long. After you've owned them for a week or two, the 1/4 cup one decides to go live in the sugar container, the 1/3 cup one moves to the flour cannister, and the full cup one migrates so far no one is certain where it went.
I was cooking last night and looked through the drawer. The 1/4 cup on all four of my nesting sets has gone awol. I'm fortunate that I can eyeball well enough on a 1/3 cup to get the right ratio.

Quote:
... I find "Americans can't do fractions" plausible enough (my experience is that *people* do poorly at math...
Bingo. I have family members that think that $1150 plus $50 is $2000. And as a result, have the calculator on their smartphone always in use. I also have retold here twice about a situation where two convenience store attendants could not figure out the price of two things that were on sale without the scanner on the cash register (which did not take the sale price into account).

Quote:
... but I have a hard time with "Americans are too bad at math to do fractions but still attempt math for comparison shopping." I would think the people who would try to compare dollar value of items would be those who had some experience with how numbers work.
Don't fret it. Comparison shopping? I'm teaching my kids this as they get ready to head out on their own. But I know people that look a a jar of peanut butter, 900 grams $8. And another one 500 grams $5, and think they are getting the better deal with the 500 gram jar, because it costs less.

I know if the rest was going to rot before use, good, but in this case, the dollars match the grams pretty close and it should be clear that the 900 gram jar is better, but no.

So, even though people think they can comparison shop, I know a lot that can't. And don't even get me onto going with them to do nutritional information shopping...
Old 28 July 2014, 04:28 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Pizza, almost the official food of the USA usually comes cut in 8ths. but if you cut your own you can cut it how you like. Anyone should notice that pieces cut into 4ths are smaller than if cut into 3rds. I'm wretched at math and even I know these things.
But it really has nothing to do with math. It has to do with comparing the values of numeric symbols divorced from any physical representations.
Old 28 July 2014, 04:45 PM

Yes, I suppose you are right. It just boggles me, though because I am truly useless at math, but I cook a lot so these distinctions just seem obvious to me. I see what you mean between the physical reality of pizza slicing, and the symbolic nature of the numbers.
Old 28 July 2014, 06:11 PM

I'm excellent with math, but I can totally see some confusion between a third and a quarter. If I spend ten seconds to think about it, it is obvious, but at first brush I could make that mistake.

Oddly, I don't see the same issue with other numbers (like half and third or fourth and fifth. I the fact that quarter pounder has become an abstraction has something to do with it. Similarly, I think that the term quarter and third are often used in ways that are not comparative. (A quarter is a coin, third is often representation of placing in a race or contest).

If the story is true, A&W failed in that they didn't re-frame the issue to make it clear their burger was bigger.
Old 28 July 2014, 06:49 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Nooo, you cannot square the circle, and when pie are squared, it is irrational!
Old 28 July 2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Old 28 July 2014, 07:27 PM

Pizzas are never to be cut square as it throws of the ratio crust to toppings on every slice. The interior pieces have way too much toppings and the "corners" have nothing but crust (almost). That's why all pizza should be bias cut.
Old 28 July 2014, 07:31 PM

Baseball

Some pizzerias around here advertise square pizzas for just such situations.

8 pieces, everyone has a crust, just a rectangle pizza!
Old 28 July 2014, 07:52 PM

Pizza should be in a deep pan, with no crust!
Old 28 July 2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Pizzas are never to be cut square as it throws of the ratio crust to toppings on every slice. The interior pieces have way too much toppings and the "corners" have nothing but crust (almost). That's why all pizza should be bias cut.
Donato's, which cuts its pizza in squares, makes them with essentially no crusts, and edge-to-edge toppings.

It took me by surrpise, though, the first time I ordered from them.
Old 28 July 2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But when you're eating pizza with a group, there's always someone who doesn't like crusty pieces and someone who LOVES crusty pieces. So it all works out!
Old 28 July 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
When buying meat at the deli, most people (in my observation, at least), will order a quarter of a pound, a half a pound, or a pound; not sure how common it is for someone to request a third of a pound.
I once requested 3/8 of a pound of something and the person behind the counter acted like I was some kind of lunatic. He also had no idea of how to go about determining such an exotic ratio. So I asked for .375 pounds instead, which he was able to do, though he thought it was an oddly specific amount to want.

Double the amount of something is a pretty huge increment. If people might want to order 1/4 lb and 1/2 lb, it seems like splitting the difference is a perfectly reasonable request, when they have the capability to cut off an arbitrary amount.
Old 28 July 2014, 10:51 PM

Baseball

I am watching Corner Gas and this scene came up.

Wanda: Do you want to work for me?
Hank: Sure, but I get 1/5 of all profits.
Wanda: I'll do you one better. 10% of all profits.
Hank: 10%. That's double what I wanted. I'll do it.

Very apropos.
Old 28 July 2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I once requested 3/8 of a pound of something [...]
I wonder how he would have reacted if you'd asked for 6 ounces. He may have blamed himself for not knowing the conversion but i doubt he would have thought it was oddly specific.
Old 29 July 2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I wonder how he would have reacted if you'd asked for 6 ounces. He may have blamed himself for not knowing the conversion but i doubt he would have thought it was oddly specific.
He had mentioned half or quarter pound sizes (with examples to demonstrate how large those were), and the scale was set for pounds, so I don't think the problem is that customers normally order in ounces. It was a digital scale though, so maybe there was a button he could have pressed to switch units. That's why I requested it in units of pounds, and it never would have occurred to me that 3/8 was a difficult enough concept that I should consider ordering in a different unit of measurement than the guy behind the counter originally suggested. I think he did in fact think it was an odd number, since he joked about it.