snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 30 October 2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Joe View Post
Like they have some kind of grudge against the country or something.
*sarcasm* Why on earth would they have a grudge?
Old 31 October 2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
Do Americans really put that much stock in such trivial matters?
Yes. See also: lapel pin
Old 31 October 2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter108 View Post
Putting your hand over your heart is viewed more as a sign of respect but really not every one remembers too do so. Here in my military town I have been to several hockey games, most of the attendees are in the military and barely half of the stadium puts their hands on their hearts when the National Anthem is sung. At least he stood up!
It is my understanding that The Roman Empire was the only other entity to practice the "hand over the heart" thing. It didn't work out well for them.
Old 31 October 2007, 11:37 AM

Royalty

I'm looking forward to being invitated to some do with the king present so that I can show my feelings regarding the monarchy while all the others get brown-tounged singing the royal anthem.
Old 31 October 2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinker74 View Post
It is my understanding that The Roman Empire was the only other entity to practice the "hand over the heart" thing. It didn't work out well for them.
The Roman Empire did however last for nearly one and a half thousand years in one form or another (nearly 2,000 if you count the previous Roman Republic) so they didn't do too badly all things considered.
Old 31 October 2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
The Roman Empire did however last for nearly one and a half thousand years in one form or another (nearly 2,000 if you count the previous Roman Republic) so they didn't do too badly all things considered.
True, but it was a pretty bloody end.

I don't think we'll last that long.
Old 31 October 2007, 08:12 PM
PrometheusX303

I think it's more of an abomination to mangle the anthem like that singer did. Ugh...

But nobody really cares about that when a political figure is on scene.
Old 31 October 2007, 08:36 PM
Class Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinker74 View Post
I don't think we'll last that long.
Even if that's true, I don't think we'll fall during your or my lifetime so I wouldn't get too worried about it right now.
Old 01 November 2007, 03:34 AM

United States

I must admit the code about putting the hand over the heart for the National Anthem was news to me, and I'm 27. In school, we did hand-over-heart for the Pledge of Allegiance, but I distinctly remember being taught (either by teachers, parents, TV, or something else) that standing with one's hands in front or behind was "hiding" something, and for the National Anthem one should stand respectfully with one's hands flat at the side. If you're wearing a hat, remove it and only then do you place your hand over your heart. I'd never heard of hatless people doing it for the National Anthem, and thought those who did were simply confusing it with the Pledge of Allegiance, especially since the non-hand-hearters were in the vast majority.

All this time there have probably been scores of veterans at baseball games badmouthing me behind my back, and I had no idea!

(I suppose no one sees the irony in literally covering up one's heart when saluting the flag, but then, no one sees the irony in burning a flag in order to dispose of it "respectfully" either.)

-birdman
Old 01 November 2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
Even if that's true, I don't think we'll fall during your or my lifetime so I wouldn't get too worried about it right now.
I'm not worried about it in the least. Whether it happens in my lifetime or not, there isn't much I can do about it.
Old 01 November 2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to being invitated to some do with the king present so that I can show my feelings regarding the monarchy while all the others get brown-tounged singing the royal anthem.
Bring me along and we can moon him together.
Old 02 November 2007, 03:02 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Bring me along and we can moon him together.
I have a friend that I met a couple of years ago when he spent some time in Stockholm scrutinising rats' behinds. He promised to invite me when he gets the Nobel prize in medicine.
Old 02 November 2007, 03:42 PM
beejay31

Is it possible this picture was "doctored" No one was facing the flag!
Old 06 November 2007, 03:27 AM
Kutter

You know, I don't really care. I mean, if the guy next to me at the ball game doesn't cover his heart, I won't think any less of him.

However, Obama is running for President of the United States of America. Expecting him to follow a tradition so simple as where to put your hand when a certain plays isn't too much to ask. No, I don't think it makes him less of a patriot or whatever, but it does show that, to let this happen, he probably isn't ready to run for the job, much less do it.
Old 06 November 2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
However, Obama is running for President of the United States of America. Expecting him to follow a tradition so simple as where to put your hand when a certain plays isn't too much to ask. No, I don't think it makes him less of a patriot or whatever, but it does show that, to let this happen, he probably isn't ready to run for the job, much less do it.
Could you elaborate a little bit on what one has to do with the other? I always thought that being president had more to do with implementing foreign policy, running the executive branch, working with Congress to construct laws and acting as a head of state. Apparently not holding one's hand to one's heart in one demonstrable instance demonstrates that one "isn't ready to run for the job, much less do it"?
Old 06 November 2007, 04:06 PM

(this picture aside) Is it common practice to put your hand over your heart when the national anthem plays?

I never notice anyone doing that, that I recall. 'Round here, we do it when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, but not during the Star Spangled Banner. During the SPB, usually people just sing.
Old 06 November 2007, 04:11 PM

Well I go to all the Redskins home games because I have season's tickets and while I don't look around during the SPB, I do notice that there is usually, I'd guess, about 92,482 people that put their hand over their heart.

Now, if they wouldn't shout "O" at the "O say can you sing" part I would be tickeled pink.
Old 06 November 2007, 04:24 PM

Go to Youtube and look up 'game national anthem' - you'll notice by looking at the videos that often even most of the players don't hold their hands over their hearts (most of the singers don't either, though I don't know whether they're supposed to).

- Il-Mari
Old 06 November 2007, 05:25 PM
Kutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokuk View Post
Could you elaborate a little bit on what one has to do with the other? I always thought that being president had more to do with implementing foreign policy, running the executive branch, working with Congress to construct laws and acting as a head of state. Apparently not holding one's hand to one's heart in one demonstrable instance demonstrates that one "isn't ready to run for the job, much less do it"?
Much like Romney's Obama/Osama comment, it shows his head isn't in the game. Letting something so simple slip at this early, critical phase of the game does not speak well for how he will do under real pressure and observation later on, when such slips could have drastic foreign or even domestic relations consequences.

There is a reason that running for President is one of the hardest jobs there is. It's still nothing compared to the actual job.
Old 06 November 2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
Much like Romney's Obama/Osama comment, it shows his head isn't in the game. Letting something so simple slip at this early, critical phase of the game does not speak well for how he will do under real pressure and observation later on, when such slips could have drastic foreign or even domestic relations consequences.
I don't even know how to respond to this. It makes no logical sense and I want it to be mocking and sarcastic but I don't think that it is.