snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 06 November 2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
I don't even know how to respond to this. It makes no logical sense and I want it to be mocking and sarcastic but I don't think that it is.
I think what was meant was that is was careless for Obama to allow this to happen, given the reaction it has caused.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
Much like Romney's Obama/Osama comment, it shows his head isn't in the game. Letting something so simple slip at this early, critical phase of the game does not speak well for how he will do under real pressure and observation later on, when such slips could have drastic foreign or even domestic relations consequences.

There is a reason that running for President is one of the hardest jobs there is. It's still nothing compared to the actual job.
I'm not sure that I understand the correlation. Particularly because the gaffes aside, they are both doing very good jobs at running for president. Last I checked, Obama is closing the gap with Clinton and is tied for first in Iowa. Romney is, in my opinion, the Republican frontrunner because of his considerable leads in Iowa and New Hampshire.

You're saying that because a "simple slip" took place, it does not speak well for how they would perform in a high-pressure situation. But has there ever been a president that didn't slip up at some critical point? Was FDR unable to handle the pressure of the presidency because of his court-packing plan? Did Bush's inability to name the president of Pakistan when asked by a reporter in 1999 mean that he couldn't handle the pressure?

It seems that you're saying that perfection is a qualification for the presidency? (And if that's not what you're saying, could you provide some examples of campaign mistakes that are not indicative of an inability to handle presidential pressure?)
Old 06 November 2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I think what was meant was that is was careless for Obama to allow this to happen, given the reaction it has caused.
Yes, but here is what I am seeing: NOTHING. Absolutely freaking nothing. Obama not putting his hand over his heart during the National Anthem is MEANINGLESS to anybody with a freaking brain. It's being used as political capital by boldes to try and ward off dumb people, but I suspect anybody who would vote against Obama because of this picture doesn't have the requisite intelligence to find their way into one of those little curtained booths anyway.

Dukakis posing in a tank was careless. George Bush Sr. spending an entire campaign attacking Bill Clinton's morality when the best thing he had going for himself was his statesmanship was careless. This? This is nothing whatsoever.
Old 08 November 2007, 03:18 AM

Obama irritated by Internet photo

Quote:
BURLINGTON, Iowa - Barack Obama complained on Wednesday about an Internet photo that claims the Democratic presidential candidate didn't hold his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance.

"My grandfather taught me how to say the Pledge of Allegiance when I was 2," Obama said, his annoyance obvious. "During the Pledge of Allegiance you put your hand over your heart. During the national anthem you sing."
Old 08 November 2007, 04:09 AM
Garble

It was my understanding that the reason you put your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance is that your making a pledge. It's much the same as the practice of putting your hand on a bible when you are put under oath. (The Romans used to put their hands on something else they found sacred, which is where we get the word "testify").

But when the Anthem is being sung/played and there's a flag present, you stand in order to honor the flag. You aren't swearing an oath or making a promise, you're just showing respect. Like how a gentleman is supposed to stand up whenever a lady enters or exits the room.

What I notice from the photo is how he has his back to the rest of the stage, making him the only one that can't see what anyone else on stage is doing. I suspect that if he were positioned further back or if they were facing the other way he'd have seen that everyone else was covering their hearts and followed suit. It doesn't seem to me like he was defiantly refusing to honor the flag, he just didn't realize that covering his heart was expected.
Old 19 November 2007, 02:01 AM
buzzzx

I agree. Whether it's important or not, neglecting to put your hand over your heart, while running for President, is a gaffe. It's not a monumental mistake, but it gives your opponents easy ammunition to question patriotism, allegiances, etc. So in that respect it was foolish of him to do it.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:03 AM
Valitudinarius Rex

Having watched the video I have concluded that Obama simply did not recognize what was being sung as the National Anthem of the USA! I am all for individual expression and interpretation, but that rendition was peculiar enough to escape the definition of "respectful".
They really should be using America The Beautiful instead anyway.
The Star Spangled Banner was originally an Elizabethan drinking song.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:41 AM

Whalephant

His hands are over a more important organ than his heart.
Old 09 February 2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valitudinarius Rex View Post
The Star Spangled Banner was originally an Elizabethan drinking song.
Not quite.