snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 26 October 2007, 11:04 PM

*cough* Brave New World *cough*
Old 26 October 2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-V View Post
Do we really need to dedicate class time to address the fact that Heather has two mommies and that's ok, or Kyle's dad wears a yalmulke and that's ok, or Bobby Lee's dad hates Blacks and that's not ok? Is it productive class time, and is it even effective to teach morality/tollerance?

I barely trust the schools to teach math, history, science, etc. Do they need to spend time on social engineering instead? (Actually, I don't trust them to teach math, but that's another issue...) Just a question, I'm not convinced one way or the other.
If that what was going on it would be worth discussing.
Old 26 October 2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses View Post
*cough* Brave New World *cough*
Hey, good example. In Huxley's book, people are judged and socially stratified by their genetics. It's a society that gave up on tolerance, gave up on right and wrong, and just suppresses dissent and difference by any means.

Schools have always participated in social engineering, which is really just a buzzword to give a negative connotation to the teaching of values. I wonder, if you polled the people who oppose the teaching of tolerance in public schools, how many of them would be opposed to the pledge of allegiance? I don't personally think the pledge is a very good way of teaching values, but that's undeniably its intent, or else it's just the mouthing of words (which admittedly it often is, which is why I say it's not a very good method). The pledge is just as much about 'social engineering' as the teaching of tolerance is.

Kids spend a lot of their time at school. Therefore, they're going to learn a lot of what eventually become their values there, whether we like it or not. The only question is whether we care what lessons they learn, i.e., is anyone trying to steer the boat.
Old 26 October 2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Is it productive class time, and is it even effective to teach morality/tollerance?
*cough* Jane Elliott *cough*
Old 26 October 2007, 11:54 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Do we really need to dedicate class time to address the fact that Heather has two mommies and that's ok, or Kyle's dad wears a yalmulke and that's ok, or Bobby Lee's dad hates Blacks and that's not ok? . . .
Or even that Bobby Lee's dad hates Blacks, and that is okay, so long as he doesn't break the law on the basis of that hatred?

My view is...yes. Schools are where kids get some basic social indoctrination, and their earliest group socialization. Remember on your report card, being graded on "works and plays well with others?" Schools exist to mould babies into people; the family, obviously, is of the first importance in this role, but the schools are the second line of defense against the ugly side of "human nature." (The churches are generally the third line, and the marketplace is the fourth. If you can't muster the etiquette to go into a store and purchase a sack of beans, pay for it, and leave with your change in your hand, you will probably not succeed in human civilization.)

Silas
Old 26 October 2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Do we really need to dedicate class time to address the fact that Heather has two mommies and that's ok, or Kyle's dad wears a yalmulke and that's ok, or Bobby Lee's dad hates Blacks and that's not ok? Is it productive class time, and is it even effective to teach morality/tollerance?
Schools are also communities, where children interact with each other. At the very least, yes, they do need to be taught to respect each other and treat each other appropriately regardless of what stories they hear about Heather's or Kyle's or Bobby Lee's home life.

Bobby Lee, for one, is unlikely to learn such lessons at home. And not only do we need him to behave appropriately at school, but when he grows up, all the rest of us are going to have to live with him, too.

Will the remonstrations of his teachers keep him from adopting Daddy's racism? Maybe not. But I think it's worth trying. At the very least, we can enforce the expectation that he is not allowed to treat his black classmates inappropriately because of their race.