snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 18 August 2009, 09:41 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Head and heels?
Something happens and I'm head over shoulders ...
Old 20 August 2009, 01:15 AM

Crash Health overhaul myths taking root

The judgment is harsh in a new poll that finds Americans worried about the government taking over health insurance, cutting off treatment to the elderly and giving coverage to illegal immigrants. Harsh, but not based on facts.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...LJ9hQD9A6710O0
Old 20 August 2009, 05:06 AM

Driver

Comment: I read today that if you removed murders and car accident deaths
from the number of annual deaths, the United States would rank number one
in life expectancy rather than way down the list that the Democrats keep
quoting. Is this true?
Old 20 August 2009, 05:22 AM

The President now has a website responding to the right-wing rumors about his healthcare plan: Setting The Record Straight

David
Old 20 August 2009, 05:48 AM

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I read today that if you removed murders and car accident deaths
from the number of annual deaths, the United States would rank number one
in life expectancy rather than way down the list that the Democrats keep
quoting. Is this true?
According to the latest figures, it looks like accidents (of all types) account for 4.8% of deaths in the U.S., while homicides account for only 0.7%:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_01.pdf
Old 25 August 2009, 06:19 PM

Soapbox Majority of Americans Believe Health Care Reform 'Myths'

The national survey, conducted from Aug. 14 - 18, involved a random sample of 600 Americans aged 18 and older living in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C. Respondents indicated whether or not they believed 19 claims about health care reform, each of which is considered a myth by the White House.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...arereformmyths
Old 26 August 2009, 04:57 PM

Ponder Health Care Debate Based on Total Lack of Logic

Heated partisan debate over President Obama's health care plan, erupting at town hall meetings and in the blogosphere, has more to do with our illogical thought processes than reality, sociologists are finding.

The problem: People on both sides of the political aisle often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...tallackoflogic
Old 27 August 2009, 07:13 PM

No GOP fundraising 'survey' outrages some recipients

"It has been suggested that the government could use voter registration to determine a person's political affiliation, prompting fears that GOP voters might be discriminated against for medical treatment in a Democrat-imposed health care rationing system. Does this possibility concern you?"

http://columbian.com/article/2009082...259961/-1/NEWS
Old 27 August 2009, 08:39 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
"It has been suggested that the government could use voter registration to determine a person's political affiliation, prompting fears that GOP voters might be discriminated against for medical treatment in a Democrat-imposed health care rationing system. Does this possibility concern you?"
Are members of the opposition party regularly audited by the IRS, investigated for non-registration with Selective Service, denied Social Security coverage, or otherwise harrassed by the Federal Government on the basis of their party affiliation? Seems if this were a real risk, it would have been happening already, for a very long time.

Silas
Old 27 August 2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
Are members of the opposition party regularly audited by the IRS, investigated for non-registration with Selective Service, denied Social Security coverage, or otherwise harrassed by the Federal Government on the basis of their party affiliation? Seems if this were a real risk, it would have been happening already, for a very long time.

Silas
I doubt it highly. What do they do with those of us who are registered in states that do not require a party affiliation?
Old 30 August 2009, 06:13 PM

I just read in the paper the Canadians are banned from buying private insurance for things that are covered under the National Health Insurance. I have read that several Canadian Snopesters pay for supplemental insurance for prescription, dental, and vision coverage. Are those services not covered under the NHI?
Old 30 August 2009, 06:18 PM

Canada

There is no national health insurance. There are provincial plans.

As for the rest of your question, it varies from province to province, but in Ontario, those things aren't covered.
Old 01 September 2009, 04:50 PM

The newest Font o Crazy from Rep. Bachmann

Quote:
Bachmann: ‘Slit our wrists, be blood brothers’ to beat health care reform
http://coloradoindependent.com/36840...th-care-reform
Quote:
DENVER — In a fiery speech that had her conservative Colorado audience cheering, U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann railed against the dangers of health care reform and other Democratic initiatives, warning the proposals “have the strength to destroy this country forever.”

“This cannot pass,” the Minnesota Republican told a crowd at a Denver gathering sponsored by the Independence Institute. “What we have to do today is make a covenant, to slit our wrists, be blood brothers on this thing. This will not pass. We will do whatever it takes to make sure this doesn’t pass.”

“Something is way crazy out there,” Bachmann said in her remarks, billed as a “personal legislative briefing” by the Golden-based Independence Institute, which bills itself as a “free market think tank.”

“This is slavery,” Bachmann said after claiming many Americans pay half their income to taxes. “It’s nothing more than slavery
I wonder how many of those planning on slitting their wrists have health coverage? My guess is that the majority will be clogging up hospital rooms without the means to pay the bill.

Personally, I think it'd be no bad thing to let em bleed out. Tree of liberty has to be watered, right?
Old 01 September 2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Something is way crazy out there
Well, she's got that right.
Old 05 September 2009, 01:37 AM
garden lover

Icon05 I think this is a story being spread online

This saga was posted on a local chat board. Of course with the statement that is was "absolutely true" and that the poster "knew the man's family." The poster is a rabid anti-Obama, anti-health reform person who posts every lunatic fringe email and You Tube clip he gets. So I not only don't believe it for a minute, but I have been trying to find the source. I fixed the grotesque spelling errors:

"An older fellow I knew wanted to visit Italy as his parents were from there. His children booked the flight and he, his wife and two daughters with their husbands flew over and visited this interesting country. While there the older fellow became very sick.

The children took him to an area hospital for observation. The doctor there admitted him to the hospital. Now it gets "interesting".
He was put in a room alone which was not exactly up to the standard that we would expect in our own medical establishments. There was an oxygen tank strapped to the bedpost and dirt on the floor. But to real kicker was he was basically ignored. Once a day a doc would come in, give him a look over and leave. His bed sheets were not changed and he just went down hill from there. His kids tried to get some kind of attention but no one seemed upset that this man was basically dying in this Italian hospital.

The children contacted an American doctor at a Christian hospital some miles away and he was able to come in a give this dying man a look over. This doctor told the kids that they had to get him out of there right away.

The hospital would not release him and the children and this doctor, literally, had to dress him and sneak this sick man out of the building into a waiting car (like a movie) and whisk him to the American hospital.

The America doctor said plainly that if he was left in that Italian hospital a few more days he would have died. Such was the non-treatment this man was receiving.

Socialized medicine at its worst."

I don't think this is legit. Has anyone else heard this story? I'm trying to track it down. Thanks.
Old 05 September 2009, 05:41 PM

O.K. I haven't read the last several post. But, will I be able to "stream" Pres. Obama's address to the students of America on my computer at work. From what I read it will be at 9:00 am PST on Tuesday Sept. 7. I want to see if I am hypnotized and/or brainwashed and made into an Obama fascist-muslim-whatever.

BTW, My mom at age 84 would have voted for Obama, if she had lived long enough. Dang, she missed her opportunity to cancel my Dad's vote. She was a lifelong Democrat & Dad is a staunch Republican. They were married for 50 years.
Old 06 September 2009, 03:09 AM

Soapbox Sorting Fact from Fiction on Health Care

In recent town-hall meetings, President Barack Obama has called for a national debate on health-care reform based on facts. It is fact that more than 40 million Americans lack coverage and spiraling costs are a burden on individuals, families and our economy. There is broad consensus that these problems must be addressed. But the public is skeptical that their current clinical care is substandard and that no government bureaucrat will come between them and their doctor. Americans have good reason for their doubts—key assertions about gaps in care are flawed and reform proposals to oversee care could sharply shift decisions away from patients and their physicians.

Consider these myths and mantras of the current debate:

http://sbk.online.wsj.com/article/SB...143891778.html
Old 06 September 2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
From the article:
Quote:
The World Health Organization ranks the U.S. 37th In the world in quality.
It might seem like a quibble, but the WHO statistic is in performance, not quality.

Also, this:
Quote:
The World Health Organization ranks the U.S. No. 1 among all countries in "responsiveness." Responsiveness has two components: respect for persons (including dignity, confidentiality and autonomy of individuals and families to make decisions about their own care), and client orientation (including prompt attention, access to social support networks during care, quality of basic amenities and choice of provider). This is what Americans rightly understand as quality care and worry will be lost in the upheaval of reform.
Which the report actually states
Quote:
Responsiveness is not a measure of how the system responds to health needs, which shows up in health outcomes, but of how the system performs relative to non-health aspects,
meeting or not meeting a population’s expectations of how it should be treated by providers of prevention, care or non-personal services.

What drags us down to 37 is Fairness in financial contribution (we are 54)(which is a measure of how risk is shared among the population and providing financial protection), and Performance on Level of Health (life expectancy) (72). We aren't 37 because we don't have universal health care alone; we are 37 because we lack universal health care and because we are not very healthy, and we spend more than everybody else.
Old 31 October 2009, 03:38 AM

Canada

Comment: One of my friends is adament about there being wings in US
hospitals just for Canadians due to their system of health care.

Do any US hospitals near the Canadian border have wings or wards for
Canadians?
Old 31 October 2009, 05:55 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Um ... no. .