snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 09 April 2018, 02:00 PM

Glasses

Dear plumbing,
Please keep in mind that I am not made of money.

Seaboe.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:29 AM

Throw Tomato

Dear Capitol Hill Legislators--
You're clearly out of your element with Mr. Zuckerburg! Thanks for the laugh yesterday, although it was rather pathetic listening to people old enough to be my father questioning someone young enough to be my son.
Oh yes, in case you think I'm being ageist, I'll have you know that I know people of all ages who are pretty tech-savvy. Maybe not on the same level as Mr. Zuckerburg, but who could still show you fools a thing or two.

Bemused listener
Old 12 April 2018, 12:07 PM

France

Dear TV commentators,

I know that Johnny Halliday was a star and that his death a few months ago was front page news. I know that his succession is a complicated business. But could you stop with all those hours spent discussing it ? We're getting tired of it. There are, after all, more important things going on in the world, aren't there ? Let the sollicitors and lawyers deal with that and concentrate on more important things, will you ? Thanks by advance.
Old 18 April 2018, 05:12 PM

Dear coworker with the giant pickup truck,

You're only supposed to use one parking space. If you're not able to maneuver your truck such that it only takes up one space, maybe you should be be driving something smaller.
Old 18 April 2018, 08:27 PM

Please read the instructions I left

Nothing unfixable but I came back to my room to find the work I wanted done untouched, still paperclipped to my instructions, and the room in a state of chaos.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:37 PM

Glasses

Dear person I can't say this to in real life

WTF? Why was person who knows nothing called upon to explain how this happened, while my contribution was reduced to a "she noticed" and my name as one of a dozen on a thank-you slide? PWKN's explanation is BS, and you know it.

This was MY project. I discovered the problem, I did all the prep work, I compiled the list of problems. While I realize that cutting me out was probably not your idea, letting them do this without giving me one word of warning makes me distrust you, big time.

This is the second time a major project has been taken away from me. Neither of them were given to you, but it does make me wonder...

Seaboe
Old 26 April 2018, 06:06 PM

Icon02

Dear Chrome: No, I do not want to change my personal (database) password to the reset password! One of my job duties is to unlock people whom the database has locked out, so as per office policy, I use a simple standard password that gets the user unlocked and in. Stop asking me if I want to remember that simple password.

Irritated data entry clerk.
Old 27 April 2018, 06:24 PM

Dear Universe.

Would you please knock it off with all the things and people needing expensive repairs this year?

Thanks,
!Uncle Moneybags

ETA: In the past four months, we've had to replace a whole house heat pump, radiator, front suspension components, four new tires, a big tax bill, and had to pay for two expensive medical procedures (they're fine now). A bit of spacing out is all I'm asking for.
Old 07 May 2018, 04:29 PM

Annual letter to bicyclists;

When you are on the road, you are under the same rules as the cars, including stopping at stop signs and red lights.

Don't test the resolve of drivers of cars and trucks by blowing through intersections without stopping. The cars and trucks will always win that argument.

~Psihala
Old 07 May 2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Annual letter to bicyclists;

When you are on the road, you are under the same rules as the cars, including stopping at stop signs and red lights.

Don't test the resolve of drivers of cars and trucks by blowing through intersections without stopping. The cars and trucks will always win that argument.

~Psihala
I feel like I can count the number of times on one hand that I've actually seen a bicyclist stop at a red light (and I mean truly stop and wait for the light to change, not just slow down, peer to check for cross-traffic, and then continue to advance). I understand it's frustrating to have to slow down so much only to pick up speed again, but you have to do that anyway as you slow down to approach the intersection to check the traffic so I'm not sure how much effort is being saved.

I'm willing to buy that there's good reason people do it other than "I don't feel like I have to follow that particular law," can any cyclists here (law-abiding or less so ) speak to why it's such a phenomenon?

Is it like if I go running and I stop to catch my breath I start sweating and feel horrible so it's better to just keep moving at least a little bit? I thought that was just because I have poor cardiovascular health but maybe it's just a thing that happens to people.
Old 07 May 2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I'm willing to buy that there's good reason people do it other than "I don't feel like I have to follow that particular law," can any cyclists here (law-abiding or less so ) speak to why it's such a phenomenon?
Well, sometimes a bike won't trigger the sensor that makes the light turn green. Usually it will, but you have to know exactly where the sensor is and ride over exactly the right spot. If they pave over the spot it can be impossible to know where the sensor is. In which case you won't ever get a green light unless a car pulls up behind you or if you walk over to the sidewalk and press the button for the pedestrian signal. And honestly having to get off your bike, walk up onto the sidewalk to press the button, and then get back on your bike and back on the road is kind of annoying. At a few intersections around here they've installed buttons right next to the road with a sign that says "Bicyclists press button for green light" to fix this problem.
Old 07 May 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Well, sometimes a bike won't trigger the sensor that makes the light turn green. Usually it will, but you have to know exactly where the sensor is and ride over exactly the right spot. If they pave over the spot it can be impossible to know where the sensor is. In which case you won't ever get a green light unless a car pulls up behind you or if you walk over to the sidewalk and press the button for the pedestrian signal. And honestly having to get off your bike, walk up onto the sidewalk to press the button, and then get back on your bike and back on the road is kind of annoying. At a few intersections around here they've installed buttons right next to the road with a sign that says "Bicyclists press button for green light" to fix this problem.
That idea definitely makes sense, but I've not seen a lone bike driving through a red with no other traffic going the same way, but driving up alongside cars at the red (or already starting off in front) and then proceeding through that way.
Old 08 May 2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
The electric induction loop sensors - the ones buried in/under the pavement - can be pretty finicky, depending on how sensitive the loop card has been set... and how deeply it's been buried. And that's assuming it's working at all (broken wires due to age/weather/construction). Camera sensors can help... assuming they have the software to detect bicyclists. Older cameras often do not, but the most modern stuff can distinguish motor vehicles from bicyclists from pedestrians. But they also have to have coverage zones assigned properly, or they just won't "see" anything at all.

And all that is assuming the intersection has any kind of detection whatsoever. If it's running on time only, then pbbbt. Hope there's a ped button nearby to help.
Old 08 May 2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Well, sometimes a bike won't trigger the sensor that makes the light turn green. Usually it will, but you have to know exactly where the sensor is and ride over exactly the right spot.
Back in my motorcycle riding days, I knew of one traffic intersection in the town I was living that my motorcycle would not trigger the sensor. Cars, yes, my motorcycle, no.

Most of the time, there was enough traffic that I never had a problem, but on near zero traffic days, big problem.
Old 08 May 2018, 06:12 PM

Dear L. I know you want to be the "cool mom" but there is a difference between accepting bad choices once made and moving on and actively encouraging someone to make those bad choices! I hope for your daughter's sake that you figure that out before some irreparable harm is done!
Old 14 May 2018, 05:51 AM

Dear Pro Gun bloggers:
Yes there has been a mass shooting in Australia despite the country's very strict anti-gun laws. But given that this makes the total deaths in mass shootings 26 people in 20 years, it may not be the earth-shattering indictment you are hoping people will take it to be.