snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 14 February 2009, 07:19 AM

Icon86 Rice clogs your intestines

A co-worker mentioned this one - she seldom eats rice because frequent rice consumption will, apparently, lower your ability to absorb nutrients. The starches supposedly clog up the villi in your intestines over time.

I can't believe there's any real truth to this one (it almost has shades of that 'undigested-meat-in-your-colon' UL) - the millions of rice-eaters in Asia can't be wrong, surely!
Old 14 February 2009, 10:35 AM
LadyCrow

the only thing i've heard about rice is that it's good to eat when you have the runs, eve my doc prescribed i'd do that. so it somehow does "clog up" i guess, but not in that way?
Old 14 February 2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Galaxy View Post
The millions of rice-eaters in Asia can't be wrong, surely!
And this kind of kills it for me as well. According to the WHO rice makes up 1/5 of all calories consumed by human beings. If there was any downside to eating it, it would have made itself obvious long before now.
Old 14 February 2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
And this kind of kills it for me as well. According to the WHO rice makes up 1/5 of all calories consumed by human beings. If there was any downside to eating it, it would have made itself obvious long before now.
Not to mention that I'd be willing to bet that it forms most of the diet of a large number of people in Asia. You'd think that a group of people who subsist mostly on the stuff would have noticed these supposed effects a long time ago.

- Il-Mari
Old 14 February 2009, 07:25 PM

If it's starch that's causing the problem, you would think that any kind of starchy food would have the same effect. Potatoes, for instance, are pretty much giant chunks of starch. The average American's diet is pretty heavy in potatoes (mashed potatoes, tater tots, french fries, baked potatoes, etc.). You'd think we'd have the same problem.
Old 14 February 2009, 07:49 PM

Actually the main problem is a sensitivity to gluten (coeliacs), but although most cereals contain gluten (notably wheat), rice doesn't
Old 14 February 2009, 09:54 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Actually the main problem is a sensitivity to gluten (coeliacs), but although most cereals contain gluten (notably wheat), rice doesn't
Also no cholesterol, low fat/sodium, complex carbs and hypoallergenic. And brown rich is a superb source of nutritional fibre and as such cooked rice has been a treatment for digestive ailments for thousands of years.

Quote:
Every kind of rice has its own unique qualities, which is why it is recommended for a variety of medical conditions. Whole brown rice, for example, is considered to be a beneficial ingredient for the nervous system and it helps people to cope with depression. This is a popular belief in the West today as well. Whole rice is rich in B group vitamins that are essential for the nervous system function.
“Eat but not solely for the pleasure you find in it, eat to regain strength. Eat to preserve the life you have received from heaven.”

Confucius
Old 16 February 2009, 07:42 AM

Hell, who needs to check with those rice-eaters in Asia? The Southern US enjoys its fair share of rice*. Rice tends to replace potatoes in traditional Southern meals, especially when you want to "fancy up" the meal, especially when serving fried chicken or ham; with the ham, especially, tradition dictated pouring "red-eye gravy" over the rice.
Rice is also a main staple for eating jambalaya or gumbo; while the traditional way of eating the two is to pour either soup over a bed of rice, it's often as easy to dump a couple of cups of cooked rice into the soups. And while the nutritional value is a bit suspect, nothing beats a good rice pudding as a way of using up extra cooked rice (warm from the oven with a little bit of milk and lots of raisins).
I can remember my (most assuredly non-Asian) grandmother practically living on chicken and rice. I can hardly recall a time when I'd go to her house when she didn't have a pot of it on the stove cooking or just heating up.

*Not really surprising as rice cultivation in this country started in South Carolina and Georgia, and the bulk of modern US rice cultivation is located in the lower Mississippi River valley.
Old 16 February 2009, 02:10 PM

Rice was apparently a big part of the diet of US soldiers during WWII, judging from my father's post-Army refusal ever to eat the stuff again.
Old 26 April 2009, 07:08 PM

I would imagine you coworker is probably referring to polished white rice which has had basically all the nutrients removed from it. Same principle as bread made from bleached flour which people claim will line your intestines over a period of time.
Old 28 June 2009, 10:09 PM

Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Rice was apparently a big part of the diet of US soldiers during WWII, judging from my father's post-Army refusal ever to eat the stuff again.
Hmm, had the opposite effect on my father and he passed it on to me. My mother was convinced that we were part Oriental.
However he hated the idea of camping--he figured that he did enough of that in the Army and felt no reason to do it as a civilian.
Old 28 June 2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Hmm, had the opposite effect on my father and he passed it on to me. My mother was convinced that we were part Oriental.
However he hated the idea of camping--he figured that he did enough of that in the Army and felt no reason to do it as a civilian.
My father loathed any and every thing that reminded him, in even the slightest way, of his Army experience. He hated taking me to college at Ohio University because the crowds and the dorms reminded him of the army and barracks. And don't even get me started on how much he hated France and the French.
Old 03 July 2009, 05:55 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
the dorms reminded him of the army and barracks. .
Sounds like my father's description of a housing development that went up several years ago in the upper part of the county.

Back to the subject: where do these people get these ridiculous ideas? I'm no doctor, but I think that one's guts are quite capable of handling a wide variety of foodstuffs. Of course YMMV if you have a medical condition.
Old 03 July 2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
That's very interesting! Was your father in the European theater or in the South Pacific? My grandfather was in the Navy in the South Pacific, but I have no idea about the details of his meals. I'm wondering if rice was more common in that theater than in Europe.
Old 06 July 2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrow View Post
the only thing i've heard about rice is that it's good to eat when you have the runs, eve my doc prescribed i'd do that. so it somehow does "clog up" i guess, but not in that way?
Yeah, the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and (dry) toast. One step up from clear liquids for convalescents. Seems to me they were chosen as the things that passed through the system most easily.
Old 06 July 2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Yeah, the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and (dry) toast. One step up from clear liquids for convalescents. Seems to me they were chosen as the things that passed through the system most easily.
I think bananas are part of the diet because they contain potassium and lots of other nutrients that the body loses a lot of when it is purging. For most people, they're pretty easy to digest, too.
Old 07 July 2009, 02:51 AM

Maybe rice is a problem for diverticulitis sufferers? Although, one would think rice is soft enough to be easily digested and not get caught in the diverticula.

I've never had any problems, and DOYC knows I love rice, especially beef or veggie fried rice.
Old 07 July 2009, 03:03 AM

It's just odd how many "Rice is eeeevil" posts we've been getting lately. I'm thinking this is at least the third one in a month. Why all the rice hate suddenly?

P&LL, Syl'I love rice'vanz
Old 07 July 2009, 03:34 AM

It's all part of the vast tofu conspiracy...