snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 February 2007, 01:33 AM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
[url]"[...] The pix were sent to me by a friend in Massachusetts who got them through her grandmother in Maine."
Excuse me for laughing but YOMANK for the new defintion of FOAF!
Old 07 February 2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
http://schreinervideo.blogspot.com/2...-pictures.html

This one says that the moose "shot near Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada back in September. The road reminds me of the route between Greenville and Kokadjo, Maine I traveled uncounted times while shooting two documentaries in 2004: "Our Other Neighbors" and "Defending the Crown." These female twins were probably born that spring which means they are a little more than two years old now. The pix were sent to me by a friend in Massachusetts who got them through her grandmother in Maine."

If you google "albino moose new brunswick" a bunch of links come up, all with these pictures. So, the albino moose are most likely from New Brunswick, Canada. There are also claims that they're from Greenville, Maine.

Morrigan

If you check my link you will notice that it also has these pics and the poster claims that her mother (I believe) took the pics. The pics also come up on other sites under "Albino moose Newfoundland." Your link doesn't solve anything.
Old 07 February 2007, 02:59 AM

I was just posting the link I found. If you do the other thing I said to do, such as googling it, many more links come up.

Morrigan
Old 07 February 2007, 03:10 AM

Mister Ed

Quote:
I was just posting the link I found. If you do the other thing I said to do, such as googling it, many more links come up.
So far they're all contradictory and unconfirmed. But I won't bother sifting through them: my mother's boss was in the same math class as the moose on the left and he's from Brandon, Manitoba. So I know it was a Manitoba Moose. Myth solved.
Old 07 February 2007, 03:57 AM

I'm just saying that most of the links say that the moose are from two areas.

Either Greenville, Maine or New Brunswick.

Morrigan
Old 07 February 2007, 05:17 AM

The only thing I can find from Googling is that 1) White moose photos very similar to these are quite common, not rare, and 2) One or more of these photos appears in various blogs claiming differing locations and origins.
My conclusion is this: It's a photo of something that's common throughout a wide area and it doesn't really make any difference which part of that area they came from or who took them. (Edit-- deleted copy of RingKeeper's link.)
Old 07 February 2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Oh, I thought they were foxes with mange.
Not mange in this case. I read just yesterday that there is an outbreak of deer ked (aka deer fly, Lipoptena cervi) infestation in my parts of the World resulting in elks getting bald after scratching against trees to get rid of the parasites.
Old 10 February 2007, 06:33 PM
JD65

The pics are from Canada, the licence plate and the fact that the mini van has daytime running lights suggest strongly it's Canada (yeah, I know, it could be a Canadian car in the States, but the terrain is more akin to northern Manitoba or New Brunswick than MI.)
A recent Canadian news website reorted on white moose (moose is plural for moose), not albino, being seen more often in Manitoba, which could very well be where the photos were taken. There are also reports of white bears (not polar bears, which are yellowish white, and a different breed altogether than black, grizzly, or brown bears) being seen in British Columbia. The white is caused by the recessive gene, and are not true albinos.
Old 10 February 2007, 06:36 PM
JD65

Oh yeah...and the unpaved and narrow shoulders on the road make it much more likely to be in Canada, not in the States. The US in general, has wider road shoulders than most of Canada.
Old 06 April 2009, 01:29 PM
wolfwomanz

Default Marenisco Yooper responds

I live in the township of Marenisco. As far as the foliage in the pictures, it does look like ours. In answer to the question of it being on Hy 2 and that it is a major thoroughfare, we are pretty desolate in the Upper Penisula. You can drive on Hy 2 for 30 miles without seeing another car. In answer to the car with the plate on the front of the car, we are about 50 miles from Wisconsin and a lot of people come from there to work at the prison. We have lived here for 7 years and we are part of the Ottawa national forest and a few moose are spotted in the woods on occasion. I will have to ask someone who has lived here longer to find out the story. They are great pictures anyway.