snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 06 February 2007, 06:52 AM

Default Albino moose

Once in awhile there is an opportunity to take in a piece of nature that you may never see. The photographer of the following photos (unknown) was one lucky person. In these days of unrest and turmoil it is great to see that Mother Nature can still produce some wondrous beauty. The odds of seeing an albino moose are astronomical and to see two of them together is nearly impossible. We wanted to share these photos with as many people as possible because you will probably never have a chance to see this rare sight again. This is a really special treat, so enjoy the shot of a life time.

These animals were photographed just north of the Wisconsin border on a highway near Marenisco, MI. Someone asked if there is anything mystical about this sighting. I do not know but I do know that I really enjoy looking at them. I am pretty sure that if you send them to five friends nothing magical will happen except you will know that you have shared a unique experience that they will never see again... ENJOY

Old 06 February 2007, 07:24 AM

Where there is one albino the odds of another in the same population are actually rather good. Albino is a recessive gene that is carried unseen by some normal colour individuals. If a population gets inbred (not uncommon in small herds/territories) then recessive genes start showing up rather than remaining hidden. Where a male that carries the gene becomes the dominant male in the territory/herd, he'll pass that gene to (on average) half his offspring. The chances of those offspring breeding with each other (or him mating with his own daughters) gives a good chance of albinos showing up.

Unless they are disadvantaged by their colour and picked off by predators, once the albinos starting mating with each other or with normal coloured animals carrying the albino gene, you'll see lots more albinos.

There could be a whole population of albino moose in that region. Unfortunately, that would be indicative of inbreeding.
Old 06 February 2007, 09:28 AM

Mister Ed

There is an area in Sweden where there is a strain of white elks, but they are not albinos and it might very well be the same with these.
Old 06 February 2007, 11:50 AM
PrometheusX303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
There is an area in Sweden where there is a strain of white elks, but they are not albinos and it might very well be the same with these.
If they'd gotten a better views of the eyes, we could tell.

Other Snopes pages:
Albino deer
White bear cub
Old 06 February 2007, 01:11 PM

These do look to be albino - the visible skin colour is very pale pink.
Old 06 February 2007, 03:26 PM
Legion600

It's a trick. It was moose season so these two were disguising themselves as Llamas.

Old 06 April 2009, 01:29 PM
wolfwomanz

Default Marenisco Yooper responds

I live in the township of Marenisco. As far as the foliage in the pictures, it does look like ours. In answer to the question of it being on Hy 2 and that it is a major thoroughfare, we are pretty desolate in the Upper Penisula. You can drive on Hy 2 for 30 miles without seeing another car. In answer to the car with the plate on the front of the car, we are about 50 miles from Wisconsin and a lot of people come from there to work at the prison. We have lived here for 7 years and we are part of the Ottawa national forest and a few moose are spotted in the woods on occasion. I will have to ask someone who has lived here longer to find out the story. They are great pictures anyway.