snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 December 2014, 05:33 AM

Ponder Goodbye, thatguywiththeglasses.com

Hello, channelawesome.com!

http://channelawesome.com/

The long-rumored, much anticipated site update is finally upon us. In two weeks, thatguywiththeglasses.com will be gone for good and all traffic will be directed to http://channelawesome.com/.

The site is already up and running and...

Maybe it'll grow on me, though.
Old 04 December 2014, 06:15 AM

Oh my god, I didn't think it was possible for that site to get worse for design

I have to admit I don't really go anymore all that regularly, and from what some of the producers admitted over at SomethingAwful, their traffic has been way down for a long time. No idea whether the new talent pick up helped or not. I do donate to a few Patreons for producers that I like, and I watch their work on their own channels now.
Old 04 December 2014, 01:03 PM

In terms of the diminishing viewership, I've noticed that a number of the people I liked watching on TGWTG have moved on - and I haven't exactly been bowled over by the new crop. Then again, it's entirely possible that as a middle-aged woman, I fall safely outside their target demographic.
Old 04 December 2014, 04:18 PM

Wow... I'd almost forgotten tgwtg existed. He and Angry Video Game Nerd were two of my favorite time killers when I was in college... I haven't watched him for so long it's kind of amazing to know he's still around. When it was just Nostalgia Critic and Nostalgia Chick, it was a fun project. After a point, it seems the whole endeavor so big that the fun sort of dried up and it just became too overwhelming.
Old 04 December 2014, 04:30 PM

I had no idea what this was, and misread the title and thought something had happened to our friend with a (sort of) similar name. Glad he is OK!
Old 04 December 2014, 09:24 PM

I still look at some of the original members' reviews. I like Doug, Linkara, Cinema Snob, FilmBrain, MikeJ, Phelous, Obscurus Lupa, Blockbuster Buster, and the Last Angry Geek. The new batch that came in didn't really impress me.
Old 04 December 2014, 10:09 PM

I only watch ToddintheShadows any more, and I usually just cut straight to his blip page these days.
Old 05 December 2014, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I've been mostly watching through the Blip app too. Excluding SFDebris, as I've been watching his videos since he was on YouTube, Todd was the last new producer I've liked.
Old 05 December 2014, 05:11 PM

Icon18

Todd's all kinds of amazing. I really dig his One Hit Wonderland series and the Cinemadonnas he's doing right now. I like that his delivery is a deep voiced cynic and not a screechy nerd - which makes him *really* stand out.

He's also some kind of Twitter god and watching him slug it out with Gamergate made him a hero to me.
Old 08 December 2014, 12:42 PM

I'm a big fan of the site (by whatever name) and several of its producers. I don't really have a strong opinion about the new design, except for the lack of arrows on the scroll bar. I have to drag the scroll bar into position! What, do they expect me to be some kind of fine motor skill wizard?!

I like a few of the new producers that I've seen, but I haven't seen many. Rantasmo's 'Needs More Gay' series is very good and I like what I've seen of Sursum Ursa's videos. Count Jackula's content is OK but his performance is a tad abrasive. I know that it's part of his 'thing' but it can be off-putting to sit through.

The novelty of the format has worn off, but I do think the quality at Channel Awesome is overall the same. The golden age of the video review is over.
Old 13 January 2015, 03:57 PM

Didn't see a reason to start a new thread since it seems within barely a month of the new site being up, there's been a mass exodus from the site.

Just three days ago, Lindsey Ellis (aka "Nostalgia Chick") announced her upcoming departure.

As of yesterday, Phelous quit the site and the CA staff immediately removed all of his stuff.

And by the end of the night, they also straight up fired Obscurus Lupa without warning. She's also been nuked from the site.

The drama bombs are all over the place (and probably not helped by people like Spoony or JesuOtaku that were always pretty open about how much they hated working with CA stirring the pot.)
Old 13 January 2015, 04:14 PM

Yikes!

Well, more traffic to phelous.com then. I've been going to his site instead of CA for a while now because of how slow they've been to put his stuff up. His and Alison's videos would be up on his site sometimes weeks before they'd show up on TGWTG or CA.
Old 13 January 2015, 05:26 PM

I knew Lindsay was leaving, but wow. Guess they should have stuck with being TGWTG.com instead of Channel Awesome, because at this rate Doug is going to be the only guy left on the site...
Old 13 January 2015, 05:30 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by @phelous
LOL! I have all ready been removed from the site! They can actually update that site quick if it's to remove someone.
Ouch! And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice all the time!

I'm not gonna pick sides here. I don't know all the facts, and don't care. That's between the (ex) producers and the staff at CA. I like who I like. I'll go to his site to see his and Alison's videos, and I'll go to CA to watch Linkara, Cinema Snob, MikeJ, Doug, BlockbusterBuster, and FilmBrain as always. And if any of them leave the site, I'll follow them to their home sites if they have one, or blip if they maintain a presence there.
Old 13 January 2015, 09:50 PM

Brows Held High just left as well.

The shortness of this message speaks volumes.

Lupa elaborates on her firing.

These guys are scum - Allison is a really kind, sweet person to be treated like that.

EDIT: And now so has Phelous
Old 14 January 2015, 12:52 AM

Mouse

Well, geez...that's depressing...it always looked like fun to be part of the Channel Awesome crew... so disillusioning. Next you're going to tell me my lifelong crush, Jason David Frank, is secretly a neo-Nazi.
Old 14 January 2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Next you're going to tell me my lifelong crush, Jason David Frank, is secretly a neo-Nazi.
Nope, he's an MMA fighter with sick tats and he still puts on that Green Ranger outfit for fan stuff.

Jason David Frank has lived up to all my dreams
Old 14 January 2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Well, geez...that's depressing...it always looked like fun to be part of the Channel Awesome crew... so disillusioning. Next you're going to tell me my lifelong crush, Jason David Frank, is secretly a neo-Nazi.
I read what Phelan and Alison wrote on their tumblr pages, and they're pretty much saying what Spoony and JessOtaku others who've left the site also said. The reviewers are all great friends and fun to work with and remain so. It's the higher-ups who are difficult to impossible to work with.
Old 14 January 2015, 01:51 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Nope, he's an MMA fighter with sick tats and he still puts on that Green Ranger outfit for fan stuff.

Jason David Frank has lived up to all my dreams
Mine too.

Still sad I wasn't able to go to Wizard co and meet him. I follow the YouTube series "My Morphin Life" and he seems really cool. Then again what do you say to someone you've lusted after since the tender age of eight? I'd probably end up acting like Troy Barnes when he meets LeVar Burton.
Old 14 January 2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post

These guys are scum - Allison is a really kind, sweet person to be treated like that.
I must admit, I'm one of the folks who find the trend toward brief commercials that interject themselves right into the middle of the video with no warning extremely irritating. It's one thing for someone to say, "now for a commercial" during a segment, followed by an ad break; it's another for the segment to be unceremoniously interrupted. Having said that, I do sympathize with the folks who are trying to make a living with their online content. There must be a middle ground somewhere that can provide the necessary revenue while not annoying/alienating audience members.