snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 16 June 2010, 06:20 PM

Default Putting on jeans, one stunt at a time

Comment: Is this real, because I saw the "raw" footage on You Tube, and in a Levi's commercial a while ago.

Old 16 June 2010, 07:00 PM

I suspect "I saw it in a commercial" sort of answers the question in itself.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that film, TV and ad makers use special effects to play fast and loose with reality but they do.
Old 16 June 2010, 08:06 PM

I'm usually fairly good at spotting CGI mucking about with video and these look pretty straightforward to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were real, but of course took multiple takes to get right.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:32 PM

For the back-flip one, the way that the guys holding the jeans are moving shows that they're obviously on a crash mat too.
Old 16 June 2010, 11:11 PM

There was a similar video ages ago that wasn't part of an advert, so either the footage was re-used or they got people to do the same again using this particular brand of jeans. I don't think the first video was exactly the same, but I don't remember.
Old 17 June 2010, 02:07 PM

On you tube, there's a guy doing Parkour (free running) and he puts on/takes off clothes as he's doing it. I looked, but can't seem to find it. :-/
Old 17 June 2010, 02:29 PM

It looked to me like the shots were real enoguh. However, if you watch closely, you will notice that the Jeans they are jumping into seem to be oversized. Especially on the last one. I am sure this is to make sure they slide into them easily. I think that is also why they all already have their socks on.
Old 17 June 2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoToasty View Post
I think that is also why they all already have their socks on.
I already know the can of worms I'm opening, but is it that weird to put socks on before trousers?
Old 17 June 2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I already know the can of worms I'm opening, but is it that weird to put socks on before trousers?
I almost always put my socks on first. It just seems easier that way. I think I started doing it when all jeans were tight on the calves and it was hard to pull the jeans up to get the socks to the right height. Now it's just a habit.
Old 17 June 2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Depends on how tight the trousers are and how long the socks are. For example, my kids will put their baseball / football socks on before putting the pants on because the socks go high up on the calf and the pants are very tight. I've been known to do that if my pants are tight.
Old 17 June 2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
For me it depends.

1. If I am just hanging out around the house, I don't put on socks.

2. If I am just out of the shower and my feet are damp. I will put on socks first.

3. If they are tight jeans, I will put on socks first.

The rest of the time, it is just up to what I grab first.

Now, saying all of that. My comment was about some of the locations. Several of the locations are outside, and they just looked a bit strange. Like who is going to be hanging off a ledge in there undies and socks. On the see-saw, it just looked strange the guy standing on it in his socks. If I was outside like that in shorts, I would either have shoes on or be barefoot. Not out like that in my socks.
Old 17 June 2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
How dare you? Children read this website! My underwear is my own business and I won't have you impugning my choices! Look after your own sexual morality, which I hear is quite questionable enough already!

I don't see why the socks in the advert change anything though - unless SoToasty means that not wearing socks would make them more likely to catch their toes or toenails on the fabric of the jeans. It seems sensible to wear socks in this situation, regardless of the order you'd usually put them on.
Old 17 June 2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoToasty View Post
It looked to me like the shots were real enoguh. However, if you watch closely, you will notice that the Jeans they are jumping into seem to be oversized. Especially on the last one. I am sure this is to make sure they slide into them easily. I think that is also why they all already have their socks on.
Yep, that's just what I was going to say -- this would have been a lot more impressive if they'd been jumping/flipping into pants that fit. What a fun video though, they looked like they were having the best time.
Old 17 June 2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I don't see why the socks in the advert change anything though - unless SoToasty means that not wearing socks would make them more likely to catch their toes or toenails on the fabric of the jeans. It seems sensible to wear socks in this situation, regardless of the order you'd usually put them on.
Actually, I was thinking more in the way of friction. Which is why a lot of people put their socks on first. So your feet can easily glide into the jeans. But your point about toes and toenails and stuff seem like an excellent reason to have them on as well.
Old 17 June 2010, 07:03 PM

Canada

Quote:
For years, I've been taking a page out of Jose Carreras' book (courtesy of Seinfeld) - you put your trousers on last to avoid creasing them. So the order of getting dressed (formall dress) for me is....

- underwear
- socks
- undershirt/shirt/cufflinks
- necktie
- pants
- shoes
- accessories (tie pin, watch, pocket square)
- jacket
Old 19 June 2010, 11:09 PM
redspider

Looks like an advert to me. Not "faked" just rehearsed many times 'til it's right.

There seems to be some significance to the fact that they button up their jeans every time. Maybe they're Levi's with Advanced ButtonTite Riveting for active men.