snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 June 2017, 04:53 AM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
It takes a bit of effort to set up and take down - there are a lot of fiddly little game pieces - but the learning curve isn't terribly steep and it's quite fun.
I think the expansion with its addition of the corruption mechanic and extra boards is quite interesting and challenging if you've already played the base game a fair bit, but it also makes for a looser game.
Old 13 June 2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I think the expansion with its addition of the corruption mechanic and extra boards is quite interesting and challenging if you've already played the base game a fair bit, but it also makes for a looser game.
The gamer who brought it mentioned an expansion to the game, but we've only played this twice, the first time a couple of years ago, so we're not quite ready for that yet. But I can see the day coming when this, and Pandemic, and Race for the Galaxy, and Settlers of Cataan (our core go-to games that we seem to enjoy) start to pall, and we begin looking at expansions to them. But we have so many games! One of our group has been attending conventions for decades, and always buys interesting little games, so has a closet full of stuff he never gets to play and is eager to bring along. We may never get to the expansion stage....
Old 09 August 2017, 09:05 PM

I'm not playing it yet, but the next game I will buy is going to be Fallout from Fantasy Flight Games. I think FFG puts out quality products for the most part, and I love me some Fallout in about any way I can get it.
The game mechanics sound interesting, as it will be bringing the SPECIAL system, HP and Rads along. Without a mod, I think this is the first time that you can play as a Super Mutant in the Fallout universe.
Old 09 August 2017, 09:22 PM

Fallout Tactics allowed you to use Super Mutants in both single and multiplayer modes, though that game is only broad-strokes canon.
Old 09 August 2017, 09:57 PM

And that's the one Fallout game I've never played. Never been a big fan of that genre.
Old 09 August 2017, 10:04 PM

You really didn't miss anything.
Old 10 August 2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I'm not playing it yet, but the next game I will buy is going to be Fallout from Fantasy Flight Games. I think FFG puts out quality products for the most part, and I love me some Fallout in about any way I can get it.
The game mechanics sound interesting, as it will be bringing the SPECIAL system, HP and Rads along. Without a mod, I think this is the first time that you can play as a Super Mutant in the Fallout universe.
I MUST HAVE THAT GAME.

Yep, it's one my list of games that I gotta have.
Old 11 August 2017, 04:59 PM

FFG puts out great quality material, but some of the rules lack coherence, and it's gotten worse since they've been swallowed by Asmodee.

My friends and I play Descent II, and we are constantly running into quirky little rules hijinks.
Old 12 October 2017, 03:36 PM

Our last gaming session, someone bought - and brought - Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, which is it's own game and not an expansion of the original Pandemic. It uses the same basic rule set, but the board and the cards and the pieces all reflect Lovecraftian sensibilities. Instead of little cubes representing "amount of plague", you have cultists; there are also a small number of shoggoths. The board represents Lovecraft's New England, centered on locations such as Dunwich, Arkham, Innsmouth and so on. The object is to close down Gates and prevent Great Old Ones from showing up.

We goofed up the first round and won it handily, which caused us all to raise our eyebrows - no way any Pandemic game should be easy, and a Cthulhu-esque one even more so. Then we found out how we'd goofed, and played a second round of WAY harder Cthulhu Pandemic and lost, hard. That was more like it!
Old 12 October 2017, 04:08 PM

Did you have appropriate music?
Old 12 October 2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Did you have appropriate music?
Heh heh - not that one, no. But I do have a solid collection of Midnight Syndicates' first 7 collections, including the Dungeons & Dragons "official soundtrack" (game, not movie) (which is how I first heard of them).

I have to admit, while the bulk of their stuff is enjoyable and appropriately creepy, my single favorite track is on the D&D CD, of the sound of some dice being shaken and rolled, followed by an, "Uh-oh."
Old 12 October 2017, 07:53 PM

I just started a Dragon Age campaign with my group using Green Robin's Dragon Age RPG. Two sessions in and we're liking it so far!