snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 19 December 2013, 04:43 PM

Canada Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'

Full, meaner headline: Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'

The 19-year-old Canadian pop star answered a question about his future with the statement: Um, Im actually retiring man.

Power 106 FM then tweeted further quotes from the Baby singer, with one reading: "I want to grow as an artist and I'm taking a step out, I want my music to mature" - @justinbieber #JustinBigBoy106."

Whether Bieber was joking in the interview remains unknown, but a video clip posted by the station this morning seems to shows him speaking with a straight face.

His UK representatives were unavailable for comment and the singer has yet to confirm the news on his Twitter account.
Old 19 December 2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
My brain's even meaner; I read it as:
Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is retiring from 'music'

(...but I can't really comment because I probably couldn't even name one of his songs.)
Old 19 December 2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
(...but I can't really comment because I probably couldn't even name one of his songs.)
Given the sales of his last couple of song releases apparently no one else can either. Is it the old "retired by the fact that he can't make a living anymore?".
Old 19 December 2013, 05:15 PM

I couldn't name his songs either, but it seems like he is more famous for his teenage shenanigans then for any music lately. It'd probably do the kid a world of good to drop out for awhile.
Old 19 December 2013, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I mostly know of him from popcultural osmosis, and most of that is all the memes and hate. Some people complain about all the hype he gets, but if it weren't for all the anti-JB hype, I might never have noticed him.
Old 19 December 2013, 05:44 PM

Would one not have to be involved in music, first, in order to retire from it?
Old 19 December 2013, 05:46 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Given the sales of his last couple of song releases apparently no one else can either. Is it the old "retired by the fact that he can't make a living anymore?"
Having chart hits is just one aspect of being an entertainer. It's not as if a lack of record sales in the last 40+ years has stopped Wayne Newton from having a rather successful career.
Old 19 December 2013, 11:48 PM

Cheer Justin Bieber Finally Forced to Move by Angry Neighbors

Quote:
The pop star has thrown loud raucous parties and drag raced his expensive cars around in his quiet neighborhood in Calabasas. He even supposedly spit in a neighbor's face when they tried to confront him.

His neighbors have been trying to get him exiled (that sounds dramatic, but it fits here) from the neighborhood and its finally happening.

A source close to Justin said that Justin IS selling his house and its all because of pressure from the neighbors.
http://www.hollyscoop.com/justin-bie...neighbors.html

Bye-bye, neighbor.
Old 20 December 2013, 03:32 AM

he's a millionaire child surrounded by parasites /people that depend on his money for their own survival and will say yes/back him up to anything.

he wil be a broken person in 10 years -- but please with the hate --- Sha Na Na isn't much better.
Old 20 December 2013, 04:58 AM

I was wondering if he actually released any actual music lately. I do think he does have another movie coming out though.
Old 23 December 2013, 08:30 PM

He's Been releasing a new single every week for a couple of months now, at least in the UK. Most of them have been scraping into the Top 40 but only just
Old 23 December 2013, 08:41 PM

No

Geez, he's 19? I thought he was 22.

...This is not a good sign for his future if he keeps up his antics.
Old 23 December 2013, 09:46 PM

While I think he can be an arrogant little shit, and am no way a fan of his music, I really feel for this kid. He has no coping skills and for sure has stunted emotional growth. From what I've seen of his mother she's very "gloves off" with him and "hopes he'll mature one day."

But while he might be "retiring," I don't think he'll drop out of the spotlight anytime soon. I think we're going to see headlines of this kid a la Lindsay Lohan for the next few years. It's sad really.
Old 23 December 2013, 10:00 PM

Apparently, Britney Spears is "thinking (not really)" about retiring as well. Even if she did, somehow I don't think that would be the last we'd hear of her, either.

~Psihala
Old 23 December 2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt Indigo View Post
While I think he can be an arrogant little shit, and am no way a fan of his music, I really feel for this kid. He has no coping skills and for sure has stunted emotional growth. From what I've seen of his mother she's very "gloves off" with him and "hopes he'll mature one day."
At the same time, though, I think that you pass an age/point in your life where your upbringing ceases to be a legitimate excuse for your poor behavior. You stop being simply immature and become an immature jackass.

This isn't directed at Cobalt, but I've seen a similar sentiment expressed about Bieber in the recent past, in regards to some of his more extreme behavior. Cracked.com, inexplicably, has become a sort of cheerleader of his of late, offering up essentially the same idea as the reason he shouldn't be criticized as much as he is. Yet I fail to see the difference between Bieber and the 16 year old recently acquitted of vehicular manslaughter because of "affluenza," other than Bieber's having not killed anyone. Maybe once upon a time he was a kid who didn't know any better; now he's just a dips--t young adult.
Old 24 December 2013, 02:50 PM

Icon86

He and Miley Cyrus both need to get dressed. Tired of seeing them.
Old 25 December 2013, 02:43 AM

I can't get behind any negative emotion for teeny bop music because of all the pop culture saturation out there I've found that genre to be by far the easiest to avoid.

I get that this is probably almost completely because I don't have children or relatives in that age group, but unlike other annoying pop culture crap that does bleed over into stuff I do enjoy, the whole preteen pop subculture tends to be rather insular.

I've not once found myself out and about having to listen to Beiber or Miley or One Direction or whatever. I am almost literally only aware of them through reaction to them.
Old 25 December 2013, 04:16 AM

I can't be sure but I don't think I've ever heard a whole Justin Bieber song or even half of one. I have heard half of a Cyrus song because I watched part of one on Youtube. I've seen parts of their performances on TV and interviews and I think Cyrus is pretty smart and really likable as a person. I can't see her, for example, peeing in a the cleaning staff bucket or something really disgusting like that. What she does on the stage is between her and her fans.
Old 26 December 2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I get that this is probably almost completely because I don't have children or relatives in that age group, but unlike other annoying pop culture crap that does bleed over into stuff I do enjoy, the whole preteen pop subculture tends to be rather insular.

I've not once found myself out and about having to listen to Beiber or Miley or One Direction or whatever. I am almost literally only aware of them through reaction to them.
I have teenage daughters, and I'm still aware of these people mainly through online gossip. My youngest loves One Direction, but I can't say that I've ever heard anything they sing because she listens to them via iPod with her earbuds in.
Old 27 December 2013, 03:54 PM

Well he made it "twitter official" on Christmas Eve. He told his fans that he was retiring. I really hope this isn't just some publicity stunt since he just released another "movie."