snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 31 January 2017, 03:34 PM

Default The Dangers Of White Supremacy And Xenophobia

Before shutting down my computer after a long Sunday, I read the news. News I did not imagine I would ever read, although, looking back, it was months and years in the making and clear signs were there, yet we, individuals and society tend to deny dangers till we become its victim or see blood flowing in our backyard.

Despite the hate graffiti on the walls of mosques and of Muslim schools in Quebec for years. Despite the insults hurled against Muslims on the streets of Canadian cities and the pulling of hijabs of the heads of Muslim girls, all which started decades ago. Despite Hérouxville and Pauline Marois' charter. Despite all this I never seriously considered the possibility of a murderous attack against Muslims in Canada or Quebec. In the United States, maybe, but not here. Now it is here. I did not pray at a mosque last night, but I easily could have. I am not Quebec City, but a sick minded xenophobe from Montreal could have attacked a mosque here. So close is it now and so blind I was. We were!

For years, Canadian security forces have been busy entrapping Muslim youth, following faint tracks and turning them into full-fledged criminal cases to please their political masters, over the ten dark Harper years, that they did not pay attention to protecting the real vulnerable segment of society. That segment of society that was demonized for decades and negatively portrayed by the media and by politicians. Politicians some of whom sometimes paid lip service and talked about equality, human rights and protection of minorities, but it feels now that it was all only to save face.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ehab-lo..._14508738.html
Old 31 January 2017, 06:16 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
For years, Canadian security forces have been busy entrapping Muslim youth, following faint tracks and turning them into full-fledged criminal cases to please their political masters, over the ten dark Harper years, that they did not pay attention to protecting the real vulnerable segment of society.[/url]
I'm at a loss. If this is not hyperbole or exaggeration brought out by the emotion of this past weekend, I don't know what he the author is talking about.

I'd like to know, aside from the Mahar Arar case, what instances of "entrapping Muslim youth" and turning faint tracks into full fledged criminal cases. Harper was no Mr Congeniality, but there was no hue and cry over alleged racism or human rights abuses.

Toronto 18?

Calgary men joining ISIL?

I can't google any instances.

The only ones that pop up are Mahar Arar (prior to Harper's term as PM) and Suaad Hagi Mohamud (woman detained in Kenya).

Anyone else?

Canada has over 1 million Muslims in our borders (1/35 of our population) and my daughters graduated from a high school that is 60% Muslim. I'm not hearing of these instances.
Old 31 January 2017, 06:33 PM

The only case that comes to mind were those two criminal masterminds in BC that got their terrorism convictions thrown out because the judge ruled the RCMP were guilty of entrapment. AFAIK without resorting to google the two were not Muslim (or if they were they were recent converts).
Old 31 January 2017, 06:45 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The only case that comes to mind were those two criminal masterminds in BC that got their terrorism convictions thrown out because the judge ruled the RCMP were guilty of entrapment. AFAIK without resorting to google the two were not Muslim (or if they were they were recent converts).
OK. Even given that one incident, it is a far cry from that to systemic Harper fuelled anti-Muslim institutional bias that allowed the shootings in Quebec to occur. I'm no Harper fan. However, there is a big difference between what I'm seeing and what the author is stating.