snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 05 March 2009, 07:09 AM

Vanishing Twin Towers in footage of Hudson plane landing

A friend of my husband's was going on about this video of the "ghost towers" that appear during footage of the Hudson River plane landing. Only people in comments on YouTube refute it immediately as being in the wrong location, the wrong size, missing the antenna. Someone thought it was the AOL Time Warner buildings -- not personally familiar enough with NYC landscape to know myself. Anyway, thought it was kooky so here it is. Chow with impunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9k3WWKRvs
Old 05 March 2009, 07:17 AM

The writing on the screen is highly annoying. by going on and on about the towers in the back ground it makes me think they did a little trick photography.
Old 05 March 2009, 07:22 AM

As the comments on Youtube say, it's actually the Time Warner Center in midtown, a building that splits into two towers.

erwins

Last edited by erwins; 05 March 2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 05 March 2009, 07:22 AM

I went to that location in Google Earth and it's definitely the Time Warner Center.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:26 AM

This almost exact same thing happened concerning a shot from Foxnew's website showing a shot of the city during the 2003 Blackouts where some people mistook the Time Warner Center for the Twin Towers. It's even from the same angle.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/mediagoofs/blackout.asp
Old 05 March 2009, 11:59 AM

Can't say my expectations were overly high after reading "the hero pilot who saved all them lives".
Old 05 March 2009, 12:09 PM

So umm, what exactly is the conspiracy or whatever that is being proposed here? What are they suggesting -that the towers never got destroyed and have been hidden from sight for several years by some sort of David Copperfield style illusion only to be revealed on the day of the plane ditching by an incompetent stage hand?
Old 05 March 2009, 12:19 PM

Your post made me curious so I watched the whole annoying video with the grammar challenged captions. Darn you, Eddylizard!

The point seems to be (drumroll please): "Are them towers 'ghosts'...They not supposed to be there."
Old 05 March 2009, 12:32 PM

Wanderwoman you has my respect for watching the whole thing. I couldn't. While I sympathise, I think this falls into the category of "...and if your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?"

I suppose my point was that there isn't any fun in presenting bogus evidence to support a bogus theory if you aren't going to tell us what the theory is. I think my theory is better anyway.

Out of interest to anyone familiar with the area, from the spot where the camera was, would the WTC have been in the same direction as the Time Warner buildings, or somewhere in the same line of sight?
Old 05 March 2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Out of interest to anyone familiar with the area, from the spot where the camera was, would the WTC have been in the same direction as the Time Warner buildings, or somewhere in the same line of sight?
The Time Warner Center is located at Southwest corner of Central Park. The Twin Towers were at the Southern end of Manhattan Island. The distance between the two locations is about seven kilometres. So, a very emphatic no.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ecf24f17e9e499

ETA The camera must have been somewhere in Hoboken pointing Northeast.
Old 05 March 2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The twin towers were near the battery, the southern end of the island. Looking from NJ, the Empire State Building would appear (far) to the left of the WTC, and to the right of the Time Warner Center.

However, the real issue is of perspective. The Time Warner Center tops out at 750 feet. The Twin Towers were about 1,365 feet tall, nearly twice as tall, and they really stood out in the skyline, like you could not miss them or mistake them for anything else. There was no head-scratching there due to the massive nature and proximity to the water, and the north tower had a candy-cane antenna on top.
Old 05 March 2009, 08:46 PM

This was actually discussed, well not discussed, more like mocked, in "We've Got Mail - When Tin Foil Hats Aren't Enough" back in January.

The location of the towers and height were mentioned.

I won't link because of all the other stuff in that thread, but it's on page 22 if you want to look.

Photo "New York City is just a conspiracy" Bob
Old 05 March 2009, 09:46 PM

Icon27

The REAL issue here OF COURSE is why does New York have a second set of twin towers? WHY was SOMEONE allowed to build a second, CONFUSING, set of towers unless they KNEW that the first set were going to be DESTROYED? WHY do the SECOND set look so much LIKE the FIRST? WHY are people being shown PICTURES of the SECOND towers that look like the FIRST if not to create uncertainty? ITS all part of a MASSIVE disinformation campaign so that WE the PEOPLE, are CONFUSED!

WAKE UP AMERICA!

Dropbear
Old 05 March 2009, 10:34 PM

It's the Chinese, I'm telling you.

Chimerica will soon be a reality!
Old 06 March 2009, 08:38 AM

You have to love the other vids posted by the same person:

**AMERICA UNDER ATTACK** BY THE ILLUMINATI 2009
***23 FEB 2009 Is 'THIS' an ALIEN or REPTILIAN?...
***22ND FEB 09 UFO'S AND N.A.S.A.(Never A Straight Answer)!***

... and so on and so on in the same vein.

I suspect the TW building will continue to get this, perhaps even more and more. Not only are people forgetting just how plain "towering" the actual Twin Towers were, but there is, coming through, an entire generation that has never seen them and simply doesn't know. Therefore any 'two tall tower-like buildings next to each other' in NY would be thought of as "the twin towers". The attack was 8.5 years ago. Children who probably knew nothing of buildings in other cities are now teenagers or adults, posting their surprise at the towers' miraculous reappearance on their My Space pages.
Old 06 March 2009, 06:58 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
The REAL issue here OF COURSE is why does New York have a second set of twin towers? WHY was SOMEONE allowed to build a second, CONFUSING, set of towers unless they KNEW that the first set were going to be DESTROYED? WHY do the SECOND set look so much LIKE the FIRST? WHY are people being shown PICTURES of the SECOND towers that look like the FIRST if not to create uncertainty? ITS all part of a MASSIVE disinformation campaign so that WE the PEOPLE, are CONFUSED!

WAKE UP AMERICA!

Dropbear
MiniMe? MiniTowers?
Old 06 March 2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the move to Fauxtography and all them posters who posted on this here thing.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Wanderwoman you has my respect for watching the whole thing. I couldn't. While I sympathise, I think this falls into the category of "...and if your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?"

I suppose my point was that there isn't any fun in presenting bogus evidence to support a bogus theory if you aren't going to tell us what the theory is. I think my theory is better anyway.

The WTC would have been waaay off to the right, if visible at all; I suspect that they would not have even been visible on this CCTV video. And I agree- I think this was shot in Hoboken.
Old 06 March 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recklessmess View Post
However, the real issue is of perspective. The Time Warner Center tops out at 750 feet. The Twin Towers were about 1,365 feet tall, nearly twice as tall, and they really stood out in the skyline, like you could not miss them or mistake them for anything else. There was no head-scratching there due to the massive nature and proximity to the water, and the north tower had a candy-cane antenna on top.
I haven't been to New York since I was 14, and my first thought was "these are way too short to be the WTC". Maybe I just watched too many movies and TV shows with establishing shots of New York.
Old 08 March 2009, 04:21 AM

OMG! The government has gotten to GoogleMaps, and street view, too!

Last edited by Fanatic; 08 March 2009 at 04:31 AM.