snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 05 June 2007, 05:38 PM

Icon13 China to Ban Catholics from Olympics?

Comment: "China to ban Catholics from Olympics" is a headline seen all
over the Web these days. For example, see:
http://cafetheology.org/2007/06/01/c...from-olympics/

The story goes that China's Ministry of Public Security included
"Catholics" on a list of those to be barred from attending the Olympics.

To me, something smells fishy about this.
Old 05 June 2007, 06:02 PM
Penguin

I suspect that the Chinese Government will rigorously prevent native members of any likely protest group from attending the games or gathering publicly to 'embarass' the State. That would likely include members of any organized underground religion. I will bet they do not try to prevent foreign Catholics from attending or participating since doing so would create exactly the sort of international bad press that the internal ban would be designed to avoid.

Much as I hate to point this out because I do believe China is a disgrace on the human rights front, Atlanta did some similar window dressing by rounding up the homeless and basically interning them for the duration of the Olympics. I remember reading some, very embarassing for the promoters, reports when the press learned that special shelter areas had been set up and the police had rounded up vagrants and relocated them. Does anyone else recall this?
Old 05 June 2007, 06:04 PM
Doug4.7

Ponder

I wonder if they will let us even visit.

Note, I will find out very soon as I am in the process of getting a visa for China. There was no question on the visa application, "Are you a known Catholic or Catholic sympathizer?"

I'll keep folks posted.

Last edited by Doug4.7; 05 June 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05 June 2007, 06:11 PM
Penguin

My earlier post was slightly inaccurate. I can find no reference to internment of the homeless. There are many articles discussing police sweeps and attempts to force the homeless to leave, but apparently the Atlanta authorities left the homeless to find there own new locations and just concentrated on forcing them out of the game's area.

not an unbiased source but quoting an article in the Salt Lake City Paper
Old 17 August 2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Much as I hate to point this out because I do believe China is a disgrace on the human rights front, Atlanta did some similar window dressing by rounding up the homeless and basically interning them for the duration of the Olympics. I remember reading some, very embarassing for the promoters, reports when the press learned that special shelter areas had been set up and the police had rounded up vagrants and relocated them. Does anyone else recall this?
My mother once told me that they set up a 'volutary' tent city to house the homeless during the '84 LA Olympics. I was 3 at the time, so I didn't notice anything.
Old 22 August 2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
There was no question on the visa application, "Are you a known Catholic or Catholic sympathizer?"
Don't you have to answer that question to get a drivers license in Alabama?
Old 22 August 2007, 11:55 AM

Detroit threw a "party" for the homeless during Super Bowl XL. Mitch Albom was kind of appalled by this idea, since he felt that it just showed people they were only worthy of being thought about when the city wanted to hide them, so he founded a charity to help house the homeless the entire winter. It's since been successful enough to help house the homeless as well as provide community resources all year long.