snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 09 January 2019, 01:30 AM

Default Weird cat behaviors

We have a ~12yo tuxedo cat named Ricky who was declawed by the owner prior to the previous owner (or earlier- we don't know his full history). He can sometimes be a bit of a scaredy cat, which makes us wonder what his first decade or so had been like.

One weird thing he does is plopping down when we try to move him. Other cats, when they walk across my lap or nearby surface and I need them to keep moving, I can apply gentle but firm pressure to the backs of their hind legs or under their tummy and they get the message and keep moving. Ricky just hunkers down. He does this other times, too- if we come to sit on the chair he's standing on, he just sits/lies down onto it; if we go to pick him up, he hangs his body weight down. He isn't losing consciousness during these moments, it's almost more like a toddler in the drop-stages of a meltdown, just, you know, minus the meltdown. I've had cats push back/dig their heels in when I try to move him, but the Plop & Drop Maneuver is unique.

Could just be a weird special thing he does; I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences or knows why he may be doing it. He doesn't answer when I ask
Old 09 January 2019, 02:17 AM

The Magically Heavy Cat? Limp, oozy, and way too heavy to move?

I'm not sure whether what you're describing is what I'm thinking of; but I sometimes get the impression that cats manipulate gravity, somehow. Not only are they liquid and can take any shape, but they can be Extra Heavy or Levitationally Light.
Old 09 January 2019, 08:49 AM

Whalephant

Immy's been known to do the limp out when I'm picking her up so I can sit on my couch. Sometimes she digs her claws into the cushion so I'm lifting up limp cat with a cushion.
Old 09 January 2019, 04:31 PM

I don't know if it's related, but I've had two cats that did something that sounds a bit similar. One of them, Brett, was bugging me when I was wrapping presents. On a lark I took a maybe handswidth strip of wrapping paper and wrapped it loosely around her belly. She stood up, but then immediately fell over on her side. It was a controlled sort of fall, so she didn't loose control of her body or anything. I emphasize that it was very loosely wrapped. But it was like a cat immobilizer.

I had another cat, Sophie, who I was foolish enough to try a harness on, with the intention of letting her out on a leash. The harness had a similar immobilizing effect on her. Not a dig in your claws, you can't do this to me, I'm not moving, reaction. Rather, huh, I'm not able to move. Interesting. I believe there are some YouTube videos illustrating this kind of phenomenon.

Not the same thing, but I also knew a cat -- not mine -- who had some kind of neurological abnormality where, if you startled him, he became essentially paraplegic. His back legs would go limp and he would drag himself under something and hide until he could move them again. I've never felt so completely horrible about accidentally startling a cat.
Old 10 January 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
The Magically Heavy Cat? Limp, oozy, and way too heavy to move?

I'm not sure whether what you're describing is what I'm thinking of; but I sometimes get the impression that cats manipulate gravity, somehow. Not only are they liquid and can take any shape, but they can be Extra Heavy or Levitationally Light.
C.O.U.P.- Cats of Unusual Properties?
Old 10 January 2019, 02:01 PM

Glasses

Cats are not alone in manipulating gravity (or their own weight, perhaps). A dog who does not want to get into a car, cage or wagon can glue itself to the ground quite firmly.

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2019, 02:17 PM

A few years back we bought a Thunder Shirt for Rin. As soon as we put it on, she started dragging her hindquarters behind her as if they were paralyzed. Fortunately Thunder Shirts are returnable.
Old 11 January 2019, 04:17 PM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Cats are not alone in manipulating gravity (or their own weight, perhaps). A dog who does not want to get into a car, cage or wagon can glue itself to the ground quite firmly.

Seaboe
This is true. Cats also become magnetic and can stick to even plastic carriers; this only happens when they're at the vet though.
I've seen dogs commit civil disobedience when they don't want to leave the dog park. It can range from not responding when called, evading everybody trying to catch them, or laying down, either in the park or the parking lot.
Old 12 January 2019, 06:41 PM

We got a 5 month old kitten last month. She has been demonstrating the fluid qualities of cats. After having elderly kitties for so long it is nice to have a snuggly kitten again. She'll wrap around my neck as I lay on the sofa or ooze herself off of a chair.

The weird thing is that she has not learned to bury her poops in the little box. The bathroom where the box lives always smells terrible. Can a cat be taught this trick?

The other fun thing about having a cat is we also have a pet rabbit. The bun is about 15 lbs and the kitten was only 5 lbs when we got her. (She a little more now.) The cat will stalk up on the bun and tag her with a paw. The bunny did some floor thumps the first day or so the cat was here but otherwise hasn't seemed to mind the new friend.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:47 PM

Hello Kitty

Some kittens can be shown that the poo needs buried. I once rescued a kitten from a home that had too many recent kitten deaths from their dogs. Shadow was the only one left. She was a bit too young to take charge of, but her mother was gone, too.

I had to show her the box and how to use it.... I put one of her messes in it and moved her paw to cover it with the litter. It only took a day or two and she only used the box.

In fact, that's how she got her name. I'd go in to use the restroom and she'd follow me in and use the box. I asked her "Who are you, my shadow?". She meowed at me, so I translated that as " Yes! ", so she really named herself.

You could try just showing the little one, Aud1.

Good luck!

Morning
Misses Ms. Shadow and all her former furbabes.
Old 14 January 2019, 10:50 AM

What about when they seem to know something is up and seem to intentionally screw it up for you.

Today as I was getting ready for work, I noticed an adorable, cute little Marmaloaf* just outside the bedroom door. I knew I had to get a picture. The Marmaloaf remained as I grabbed up my shoes and stepped over it to go turn on my phone. The Marmaloaf remained as I returned and got into position to take the picture. The Marmaloaf remained as I powered up my phone. Just as I was about to push the camera icon... the Marmaloaf collapsed onto its side and stretched out.

*sigh*

*Marmalade when he's in a "kitty loaf"
Old 14 January 2019, 01:24 PM

TGG: Cat needs to go to vet. in early afternoon. I shut cat into house midmorning. Cat hangs around downstairs, intermittently wailing at door. I stop for lunch. Cat hangs around kitchen, wondering about the possibility of treats, getting pats. I look at the clock and head into the bathroom. Cat is comfortably ensconsed on top of a chair. I come out of bathroom, ready to scoop up cat and place cat into carrier . . . cat? cat? what happened to the cat?

The cat, after considerable searching, is found under the furthest corner of the two beds which are pushed together into one corner of an upstairs bedroom. It takes some furniture moving and another chunk of time, after I've succeeded in finding him, to pry him out of there and catch him. Luckily, my vet. isn't a stickler about getting there on time --
Old 14 January 2019, 08:41 PM

Whenever I come from from work Nelson is always waiting behind the door into the door into the garage so he can bolt through it the second it opens. That's not the weird behavior; I understand wanting to go through doors is perfectly normal cat behavior. But last week he managed to get in there (again) and once in there he put his front paws on the front of the car and started licking the front bumper. It had been raining that day and the front of the car was covered with water droplets, so I guess he likes the fresh rain water better than the tap water in his dish? Years ago someone suggested that he might not like the chlorine in the tap water, as he seems to prefer water from other sources.
Old 14 January 2019, 10:29 PM

The cat who demands fresh non-muddy water in the water dish in the house (which gets muddy because the cat in my previous post, and his sister, like to paddle in it) also loves to drink out of mud puddles in the driveway. [ETA: there's no chlorine in my house water, it comes out of a well that tests clean without any.]

Cats!
Old 15 January 2019, 12:27 PM

Serenity much prefers the water in her dish on the balcony. It's water from the same tap as her indoor water, but with leaves and bugs added. Somehow that's better.
Old 15 January 2019, 12:42 PM

Bonsai Kitten

I think my cat prefers water that he catches himself, since he is a great hunter. He will snub the bowl of fresh water that I put out (our water is chlorine-free) to lap up water on the side of the sink, or on the floor outside of the shower. Of course, he prefers to drink water from my glass, so I have to be careful where I leave my water glass (and make sure it is empty if I am not drinking from it.)
Old 15 January 2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Serenity much prefers the water in her dish on the balcony. It's water from the same tap as her indoor water, but with leaves and bugs added. Somehow that's better.
It's tea! Leaf-and-bug infusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
he prefers to drink water from my glass, so I have to be careful where I leave my water glass (and make sure it is empty if I am not drinking from it.)
I've got several of those water glasses that are made like canning jars and take canning jar lids (here's an example). Lid on glass when I'm not drinking from it.

Particularly handy if you like a glass of water handy next to your bed or couch.
Old 15 January 2019, 07:38 PM

Serenity also likes to be very lazy with drinking her water. Why stand when you can lie down?

Water (3)
Old 15 January 2019, 07:45 PM

Whalephant

Immy prefers to drink out of a tumbler glass. I have no idea why, but it makes her happy.
Old 15 January 2019, 11:17 PM

Bo likes toilet water (we are traditionally a lid-down family, so this only a problem on occasion) and also likes licking the water out of the tub when someone's done with their shower. He also likes eating crunchy leaves that blow in from outside, the dirt that gets kicked up near doors, small pieces of paper, and an occasional delicacy- his own vomit.

Won't touch catnip or people food, though, bless him!

kitap- Our old cat, Joey, who passed away in 2014, used to in his elderly days enjoy drinking water out of a plastic cup if you didn't feel like finishing your drink.