snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 03 July 2014, 02:44 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by htonl View Post
When I was in the US, there was one bar that wouldn't accept my (South African) passport as ID, but would accept my US visa that was in the passport.

edit: but of course as a British citizen you probably don't need a visa.
The only time I had questionable ID issues was flying out of Wichita, Kansas. I was flying from Wichita to get back to New Brunswick. There, the TSA agents had a stand on the way towards security where you had to produce ID. I suppose Wichita does not get many international travellers, so when I produced my passport (the green government issued one), the agent did not know how to deal with it. Apparently, from what I could overhear as he called his supervisor over, some of the anti-counterfeit features used in US passports are not used in our passports. The agent asked for another form of ID, which I handed over, and it was scrutinised as well. Eventually, I was let through.

I wasn't fussed as I'm certain that they were wanting to ensure that all was in order. But I stood there for just shy of five minutes when most people would hand over driver's licence and be gone in five seconds.
Old 03 July 2014, 02:52 PM

It's not the lack of teapot it's the lack of water brought to a rolling boil that I notice when I ask for tea in the States, and to be fair in many restaurants here in Canada too for that matter. Also here, I think you'd be hardpressed to find a house that doesn't have a kettle but when I've been in the US it doesn't seem nearly as automatic. When I notice someone warm water in a cup in a microwave and then put their tea bag in the cup I can see my grandmother swooning in horror.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:02 PM

There are plenty of places I can go to where, when I order tea, it comes already brewed, or they give me a teapot, or they give it to me brewed in a teapot. And I do prefer it that way myself. I do not buy tea from someplace like Starbucks, where (last time I checked, anyway) you just get hot water and a selection of tea bags.

It may only be Americans who do this, but it doesn't mean all Americans do this.

I recall reading an interview with Sarah Ferguson talking about tea. She basically said the only way to brew proper tea was with a teapot, and gave a long, complicated list of steps. I tried it. It wasn't better than the way I usually make it (boil water in kettle; pour over tea bag in cup). I only do it that way when I want to be fancy and drink out of my little tea cups, too small to really brew tea in. She made much of Americans screwing up the tea.

In the summer I prefer it brewed very strong and then served over ice, which is a whole different argument to have with horrified British people.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:06 PM

You can't really complain about stereotypes of Americans serving unbrewed tea bags and hot water when you've personally invoked stereotypes of British people sneering and getting the vapors when tea isn't served to their liking.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:12 PM

Not complaining. Americans do serve unbrewed tea bags and hot water.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post

In the summer I prefer it brewed very strong and then served over ice, which is a whole different argument to have with horrified British people.
This is Starbucks saving grace for me. It's one of the few places I can get iced tea that is unsweetened and not made from those (to me) awful tasting powders.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:24 PM

I don't like to buy iced tea out in the world very often because it tastes weird. I just had one of those realizations you feel silly about. Of course most places aren't actually brewing the tea.
Old 03 July 2014, 03:31 PM

Can you get the proper vapours whilst sneering? The facial expression of a good case of the vapours is at odds with the facial expression of a sneer.
Old 03 July 2014, 04:54 PM

Canada

Quote:
Not complaining. Americans do serve unbrewed tea bags and hot water.
As opposed to, say, brewed tea bags? I don't know what you are expecting here? Unless it is a place with a high volume of tea drinkers (like an Asian or Indian restaurant) you won't see pots of tea being brewed all the time, so you can just refill an individual's cup. Tea is best served hot and freshly brewed or steeped, and I think that tea drinkers appreciate getting a fresh and previously unused tea bag, as if the bag is already in the hot water, it's hard to tell.

There are places which serve tea in pots - loose tea or in a tea ball in a large pot of hot water. But those are large pots and typically you need a few people to share it to make it economical.
Old 03 July 2014, 05:28 PM

There must be some look of horrified disgust that combines the two...
Old 03 July 2014, 05:36 PM

"Oh la! The colonials are being repulsive again!" *fans self*
Old 03 July 2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
The only time I had questionable ID issues was flying out of Wichita, Kansas. I was flying from Wichita to get back to New Brunswick. There, the TSA agents had a stand on the way towards security where you had to produce ID. I suppose Wichita does not get many international travellers, so when I produced my passport (the green government issued one), the agent did not know how to deal with it. Apparently, from what I could overhear as he called his supervisor over, some of the anti-counterfeit features used in US passports are not used in our passports. .
UEL, I've had a similar experience with our US passport when being checked by TSA security at Jacksonville, FL.

the TSA agent pulled out the magnifying lens to scrutinize all three of our passports and paid particular attention to mine, looking for something wrong. If I had not already been on his wrong side by presenting all three of us as a traveling family, I'd have asked him what was so difficult with my passport to require such scrutiny and if there was a real problem, as soon as I got back to "home" I'd bounce over to the consular section and get a new passport to replace the "defective" one. All three of our passports were issued sequentially, same date, three numbers in a row.

Interestingly, I've have more scrutiny of my passpost when used as a boarding identification than when I've come back into the US on the very same passport. Perhaps the USCIS gets a verification on their ID system when the machine readable portion of the passport is scanned, perhaps the data from the Passport Agency along with the photo is displayed, so if I had a fake US passport, the data would not match.
Old 03 July 2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I don't like to buy iced tea out in the world very often because it tastes weird.
They probably are not moving it quick enough so it's out at room temperature too long, which causes bacteria growth that affects the taste. I notice the taste can get bitter after just an hour or so. If they kept it refrigerated it would last longer.
Old 03 July 2014, 07:00 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
UEL, I've had a similar experience with our US passport when being checked by TSA security at Jacksonville, FL.

the TSA agent pulled out the magnifying lens to scrutinize all three of our passports and paid particular attention to mine, looking for something wrong. If I had not already been on his wrong side by presenting all three of us as a traveling family, I'd have asked him what was so difficult with my passport to require such scrutiny and if there was a real problem, as soon as I got back to "home" I'd bounce over to the consular section and get a new passport to replace the "defective" one. All three of our passports were issued sequentially, same date, three numbers in a row.
You could very well be right. I don't know. It is a sample size of one and I rarely fly out of the US to go anywhere except Canada, and then the boarding agent is the only one who looks at passports.

No one else flying out that morning was using a passport, and subsequent trips out of there I used my ID cards. I was also thinking that perhaps it was a TSA agent under training which would mean that a bona fide foreign passport might very well be a wonderful opportunity to learn how other countries prevent counterfeiting. Either way, I was not bothered in the least. It was a good passport and I had plenty of time.
Old 03 July 2014, 08:50 PM

I've never had a problem using my passport as ID, but I would speculate that maybe some airports don't see very many international travelers, so when the TSA agent sees a passport instead of a drivers license or ID card it throws them off.
Old 03 July 2014, 09:18 PM

I got a surprised look when I showed my passport as ID on a local train that happened to cross the border between Germany and the Netherlands. Most people were showing driving licenses or other ID.

They generally don't even check ID for border crossings within Europe (or the free travel bits - Schencken zone?), so it might just have been a random spot-check on this occasion.
Old 04 July 2014, 03:09 AM

Back to the orginal topic, half those things in the list have been said by Australian's about Australia (especially about mmigration). So much for "only in America"
Old 04 July 2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Sue, since your description is exactly what you'd expect in a competitive market, I don't see how it provides any evidence for price fixing.
In a competitive market, People will try to sell their goods lower than their competitor, to get more sales.

In the gas market, all the sellers in the same market suddenly raise or lwoer their prices AT THE SAME TIME, to the same amount, so that people do not have a choice. The only thing that determines where you buy your gas is which loyalty card you have or if you've got coupons.

Don't tell me that's free market... because it's not.
Old 04 July 2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
In a competitive market, People will try to sell their goods lower than their competitor, to get more sales.
Gas markups are pretty low already. Lower prices mean taking a loss, which would be pretty stupid when the demand for gasoline isn't all that price-sensitive. In the long term, people can change their habits, but nobody is going to decide not to go to work tomorrow because they woke up to find that gas went up 10 cents.

Quote:
In the gas market, all the sellers in the same market suddenly raise or lwoer their prices AT THE SAME TIME, to the same amount, so that people do not have a choice.
Information travels quickly in 2014. Why wouldn't the gas stations all be notified at about the same time that the price they're paying for the stuff in their tanks went up?
Old 04 July 2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
And then the competitor makes his prices even lower than that, and soon everything is given away for free. Or of course, maybe prices for a commodity reach a fixed level quickly.
Quote:
In the gas market, all the sellers in the same market suddenly raise or lwoer their prices AT THE SAME TIME, to the same amount, so that people do not have a choice. The only thing that determines where you buy your gas is which loyalty card you have or if you've got coupons.

Don't tell me that's free market... because it's not.
I won't tell you that because things like loyalty cards and coupons wouldn't exist in a perfect free market, so those 2 things are bits of evidence that companies have small amounts of monopoly power. But using the price change as evidence of price -fixing makes no sense since companies are just getting the same information on supply and responding to it at the same time.

Do people get this way about commodities like gold, or about foreign currencies as well? Or is it just oil where price changes that aren't at all evidence of price-fixing are used as evidence of price-fixing? (And yes, I read the articles Sue posted and realize that price fixing occurs. "Companies admit to it" is good evidence it occurs. "Companies change prices at the same time" isn't.)