snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 08 August 2013, 12:46 AM

Default Little things that annoy you

Grrr! The last thread has been locked! That is so annoying!
Old 08 August 2013, 01:05 AM

(From the last thread, by wolf)

Quote:
Vague or poorly written test/homework questions.

"What is used to prevent all VLANs from going across a trunk?" is very different from "How do you control what VLANs can cross a trunk?"
I have no idea how bad that is, but for one of my test questions they wanted me to assume that when they said "Sitting down" they meant "With crossed legs".
Old 08 August 2013, 01:36 AM

Armchair Lawyers. Every day on Huffington Post Crime, they post a litany of gory crime stories, and the readers eat them up like dessert. They take to the comments section in droves, posting about all the horrible things they want to do to the perpetrators, what they should be charged with, and how the judges, courts and prosecutors are all teh stoopid and they should be fired/disbarred/imprisoned right along with the perp/summarily executed.

Today's raving was about the guy who blew up a dog. The rabble mostly screamed, shouted and fumed that the prosecutors all deserved to be flayed and disemboweled for not filing animal cruelty charges and if I were the prosecutor I sure would, blah blah blah...

Oh really? There are two "animal cruelty" statutes in Washington, first and second degree. They're available for public viewing; anyone can read them. I found them after about ten seconds of Googling. Why don't (g)you geniuses go ahead and point to me the section you find applicable?

Now, let me be clear. I am not saying that this defendant didn't deserve to be charged with animal cruelty (and in fact, he later was). What I am saying is that it's not immediately obvious from reading the statute that animal cruelty charges can apply. The Washington Legislature didn't consider a provision for blowing up the family dog when they were writing the cruelty statute, I'm sorry.

In a larger sense, what I'm saying is before you flip your lid and start writing wrathful internet comments, it would be a good idea to take a few minutes and educate yourself about what, exactly, you're talking about. You can't just go filing charges because you really, REALLY, REALLY want to. Criminal charges have elements, and they can be extremely specific. You have to meet those elements before you can convict someone of a crime. But I'm sure the HuffPost readers already knew that, what with their Harvard law degrees and everything.
Old 08 August 2013, 01:52 AM

Exactly, just go for the standard internet standby of assuming the person is guilty or innocent based on the limited information and (likely) zero legal training you have as a random person rather than trust the court hearings, lawyers and judges.

Old 08 August 2013, 02:06 AM

Australia

Putting my lunch in the sandwich toaster and coming back 5 minutes later - expecting to find a lovely toasted sandwich - and finding that I'd forgotten to turn it on at the powerpoint and my lunch is just flat and cold.

Now I have to wait a whole 'nother five minutes!!!11!1

Dropbear
Old 08 August 2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
Armchair Lawyers.
I'd extend that into armchair pretty much everything.
Old 08 August 2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Exactly, just go for the standard internet standby of assuming the person is guilty or innocent based on the limited information and (likely) zero legal training you have as a random person rather than trust the court hearings, lawyers and judges.
I feel like I want to go on HuffPo and start responding by playing dumb, e.g. pretend like I'm having an actual legal discussion, with people who know what they're talking about, citing statutes and cases, etc.

"Yeah, I want to lay in an AC charge, but I can't see charging under 207, because there's no way to prove pain. 205 might be a possibility, but certainly not under Subsection 2, because the mense rea clearly wasn't negligence, and the actus reus as listed are too specific to cover what happened. Section (c) would be good, but don't know if we can prove suffering. I think our best bet is 205(1)(b), because an explosion qualifies as "physical injury."

This would force them to either A) at least try to discuss the issue with some degree of intelligence, or B) admit that they're stupid. (Or possibly C) ignore me entirely.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I'd extend that into armchair pretty much everything.
I know, but it only tends to strike a raw nerve when it hits close to home. Do you have any stories? I'd love to join you in your frustration.
Old 08 August 2013, 02:26 AM

I've been bumped off my health plan. It annoys me because they never bothered to tell me they were throwing me off. It seems that they mailed me a re-enrollment letter in June. I never got it. I've gone through all my mail etc. and it's no where to be found. DH doesn't remember seeing it either. See we both considered this pretty damn important, and I'd been sort of watching for it as I've filled them out faithfully every year. When I didn't send it "back" they dis-enrolled me with no notification. I went to fill a script today and could not pick it up because I didn't have that kind of money.

I called the health department as they are the ones who register and vet applications. She told me I needed to call the company or what ever that implements the plan. That person told me that she couldn't help and would give me the number of someone who could...yeah she gave me the number of the first person I spoke to. It seems that registration for the program is closed, and you know, just sending me the re-enrollment letter that I never received is just out of the question. However, she helpfully told me she would send me a prescription discount card yay. And she would also tell me about walk in clinics so I wouldn't have to go to the emergency room. I can't afford walk in clinics, and afaIk those discount cards are pretty lame, but I told her to send it. *sigh*
Old 08 August 2013, 02:40 AM

You may remember that back in of last year a civilian dockworker set fire to the USS Miami SSN-755 (a Los Angeles class fast attack submarine) while the ship was in dock for routine repairs. 7 people (4 sailors and 3 civilian firefighters) were hurt in the blaze, which took 12 hours to put out, and the damage to the sub was estimated at around 400 million dollars.

His motivation? He wanted a day off. Jesus Christ man couldn't you just fake a cold or something?

Well anyway today the word came back, long story the Navy crunched the numbers and decided that the cost just wasn't worth it. The Miami was already 23 years old, about 3/4s of the way through the average service life of a SSN and putting the money and 2-3 more years of yard time a ship that probably only had 5 or 6 more deployments in it was deemed more then the Navy could afford, especially in a year where we've already lost another ship to an accident. So she's being scrapped, with some of her parts being used to repair/upgrade other subs as a further cost saving method.

Hope the day off was worth buddy. At least you'll get 17 years worth of days off in a Federal Prison to think about it.

I know it seems weird and I don't want to personify it... but the ship just deserved better then to go out early because some lazy dockworker wanted to go home early on Friday. I don't know how to explain it.
Old 08 August 2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I know, but it only tends to strike a raw nerve when it hits close to home. Do you have any stories? I'd love to join you in your frustration.
I'm not a doctor, or a scientist, or Joe, but I get irritated when people act like they know more about medicine than me (without having a reason to).

In general, when it comes to their health and it involves things that have complex decisions, I am ok with it, but when it has to do with others (children for example) and they are refuting basic medicine it grates a little bit.

The best example I can think of is the anti-vaxx movement, a more generalized one would be when people who never have to make complex decisions 'under the knife' so to speak are willing to second guess a doctor (or medics) decision with the benefit of time and hindsight.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that medical folk (or anybody) can't be wrong, just it's a lot easier to say that when you don't have to make the decisions.
Old 08 August 2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Armchair statisticians is one.

On another message board I frequent there's two people arguing over... well when all is said and done about which of their respective countries is better. They've spent pages throwing various quality of life statistics at each trying to prove their respective arguments.

But here's the thing.. outside of a few weird cases here all the statistics being thrown around have one country being 1 or 2 in this or 3rd or 4th in that. Practically all the statistics they are quoting place both their countries in the top 10, usually top 5, of whatever they are arguing. There's been maybe one or two cases of one country actually being significantly and statistically lower then the other in any real fashion.

And when you go into their data and look at, the differences are just absolutely minute, probably within margin of error or standard deviation range and place both countries way, way, way, way above the global average on all these things.

I mean when you have data that looks like this:

Country With the Most Bacon:

Atlantis: 99.8 Bacon per 100 People
El Dorado: 99.5 Bacon per 100 People
Xanadu: 99.4 Bacon per 100 People
Shangri-La: 99.2 Bacon per 100 People
Narnia: 48 Bacon per 100 People
Oz: 23 Bacon per 100 People
Wonderland: 14 Bacon per 100 People

Is there really any point to a guy from Xanadu arguing with a guy from El Dorado about which place is better by using those stats? You're both so far on the end of the Bell Curve and the difference is so tiny I think we can just call it tied. Yes I get that technically on a mathematical level one country technically has to be in the "lead" but come on!
Old 08 August 2013, 03:14 AM

Sounds like something a guy from El Dorado would say... Suck it El Dorado!

Gonna get me an extra 0.1 hunk-o-bacon, peace...

-Mickey "Atlantis Forever!" Blue
Old 08 August 2013, 03:19 AM

Icon19

Armchair quarterback, lawyer, doctor, whatever. They always have all the answers. They always know what other people should do. They always know how people should conduct their lives. They always tend to be the same posters, no matter what the story or article is about.

I call them "internet tough guys."

Back before the internet, I used to call them "know-it-all blowhards" and just ignored them when they started spouting off.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:42 AM

There are just some times when 1/1000 of a slice of bacon makes a man feel more like a man.
Old 08 August 2013, 09:28 AM

Wolf

The construction "I am one who..." "I am one who recycles." What's wrong with "I recycle"? Are people aiming for a whiff of Bela Lugosi?
Old 08 August 2013, 09:40 AM
Barbara

Icon86

Not unless they also want to suck your blood.
Old 08 August 2013, 12:47 PM

DW and me have a conservation like this sometimes "Can you please turn the lights on?" "Dear, I am busy, I can't turn on the light right this minute" "But, you are closer to the switch" "But, you aren't doing anything" "Fine, I am the one who will turn the lights on" or "I am the one who will make the sacrifice for the good of the family"
Old 08 August 2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
DW and me have a conservation like ...
Aargh - I don't care about the misspelling/typo of conservation rather than conversation. That happens readily. But the use of 'me' in the subject grates on me terribly. You are generally so reliable in your grammar, I will chalk it up to having composed on the fly and then rearranging the sentence without all the needed changes being made. But given the thread theme, I could not let it pass unremarked - at least this morning while trying to avoid more serious topics, I couldn't.
Old 08 August 2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Aargh - I don't care about the misspelling/typo of conservation rather than conversation. That happens readily. But the use of 'me' in the subject grates on me terribly. You are generally so reliable in your grammar, I will chalk it up to having composed on the fly and then rearranging the sentence without all the needed changes being made. But given the thread theme, I could not let it pass unremarked - at least this morning while trying to avoid more serious topics, I couldn't.
I'm embarrased
Old 08 August 2013, 03:00 PM

Women who can't wash their hands without leaving a huge puddle of water in front of the sink, and my own inability to remember to check for said huge puddle before using the sink myself.
Closed Thread