snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 19 January 2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
By an odd coincidence, I was reading a novel a couple of days ago that said that Idaho was a popular place for radical anti-government right-wingers to settle. Is there any truth to that claim?
Eastern Oregon and Washington State and Western Idaho have had a long history of such groups.
Old 19 January 2013, 02:02 AM

Wasn't this already tried underwater?

Ain't poe's law grand.

I see a few possiblities:

1. It's a group of nuts who don't really understand how a society works. Essentially a gun cult (guns=god). Their financial plan (become a bigger tourist attraction than Disneyland, and make money selling arms to tourists - with a side acadamy for indoctrinating, er educating, the children of those with lots of money and paranoia, but little sense.

I am not making this up - they actually reference Disneyland as their model in their FAQs. Walt must be spinning in his grave/refrigeration unit. I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't allow any sort of weapons in the park - something the gun boards I saw in this search seem to rant against - I guess 'right to pass subjective to consent of owner' doesn't apply to devices desinged to kill other individuals (then again, perhaps some of them are against the draconian refusal to allow picnic coolers too).

But perhaps the funniest is their concept of governance:

Quote:
There is no person who can claim the title, "Leader" of the Citadel, nor will there be. The only "Leader" we have is the ideal of Jefferson's Rightful Liberty.

There are, however, motivated individuals who have accepted responsibility for various aspects of the project. This is a consensus effort by a dedicated group of individuals working toward a common goal. These people are not locked into their positions.There will be openings to new volunteers as the project evolves.
Nothing about Democratic (or even Republican) ideals. No elections. Just the assumption that whomever wants to be in charge is. With the oversite of a vaugely appointed council. Man, it really is communism. In the Citidel all men are equal, but some men are more equal than others. So, no elected government; no court or justice system; no system for objectively settling disputes; residents armed to the teeth - gee... no way that that could end badly...

Other possibilities:
2. Con artists working to seperate the paranoid and foolish from their money with 'application fees' (because we all know that is a company claims a refund guarentee that they will honor it - right?

3. Stealth parody - Poe strikes again.

4. Lennin has risen from his tomb and is trying to rekindle communism in Idaho!!!! eleventyone.
Old 19 January 2013, 04:52 AM

Bill Maher was talking about this tonight and he was like "I'm just not sure Americans want to break off from the rest of America and raise their own Cheez Doodles."
Old 19 January 2013, 05:56 AM

I saw this on Colbert a few weeks back as well. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but he suggested that shooting at person sized targets (which he said was part of some kind of regular arms qualification) could be preparation for an attack by Tony Stark/Iron Man
Old 19 January 2013, 06:06 AM

If this place is real and if they actually set it up and load it with people I'd give it a year before there is a major event involving either them killing one another or killing outsiders.
Old 19 January 2013, 08:01 AM

How do you recycle police anyhow?
Old 19 January 2013, 10:16 AM

They go in the blue bin.
Old 19 January 2013, 01:43 PM

What if I love liberty and guns AND want to recycle?
Old 19 January 2013, 02:37 PM

Apparently they don't realize that in the event of the major catastrophe that they envision that recycling would be a major source of materials for producing new items.

It's interesting there is no private ownership of land within the community but the land is leased basically leaving anyone living there at the mercy of the ruling body.

Quote:
One: Once ratified, this list of conditions may only be altered by unanimous consent of all parties governed by this Agreement, i.e. full-time Residents. Full-time residency will be defined by a select panel of full-time Residents who will also establish guidelines for acceptable exceptions for absences.
Old 19 January 2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
When I saw the thread title, I though that they were talking about the military academy.

By an odd coincidence, I was reading a novel a couple of days ago that said that Idaho was a popular place for radical anti-government right-wingers to settle. Is there any truth to that claim?
Montana is another such haven.
Old 19 January 2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
If this place is real and if they actually set it up and load it with people I'd give it a year before there is a major event involving either them killing one another or killing outsiders.
That's pretty optimistic of you.
Old 19 January 2013, 07:21 PM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Apparently they don't realize that in the event of the major catastrophe that they envision that recycling would be a major source of materials for producing new items.
The description doesn't say no residents may or will engage in recycling; it just says that there will be no authorities tasked with enforcing participation in recycling programs.
Old 19 January 2013, 07:26 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
The Citadel is a community designed to withstand natural disasters such as Hurricanes Sandy and Katrina
Because you can never be too prepared for a Category 2+ hurricane in Idaho.
Old 19 January 2013, 08:26 PM

Australia

Once the government learns where the true patriots are gathering they'll be sure to ensure the HAARP system targets them with extreme weather events - mark my words.

Dropbear
Old 19 January 2013, 11:04 PM

Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
One: Once ratified, this list of conditions may only be altered by unanimous consent of all parties governed by this Agreement, i.e. full-time Residents. Full-time residency will be defined by a select panel of full-time Residents who will also establish guidelines for acceptable exceptions for absences.
So in other words, all residents are equal, but some are more equal than others?
Old 22 January 2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Eastern Oregon and Washington State and Western Idaho have had a long history of such groups.
... says the person safely on the west side of Oregon.

(Radio ad today for a local outdoor store announced proudly, "Soon arriving 24 American-made AK-47's!" Dog help us.)
Old 22 January 2013, 06:03 AM

Roseburg is just where my mail gets delivered. I've been living on the other side of the Cascades for the last few years.

Edit: Besides that, Medford and Grants Pass are both too frelling close to Roseburg for comfort given the number of wing nut wackos living in that area.

Last edited by crocoduck_hunter; 22 January 2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 22 January 2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
So in other words, all residents are equal, but some are more equal than others?
No, it's simple...

Full time residency will be confirmed by a panel of full time residents that is elected by full time residents, who are confirmed by a panel of full time residents who were granted full time residency by a panel of full time residents.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.
Old 22 January 2013, 12:46 PM

Wolf

So the first panel of full time residents is going to be elected by the wolves and bears that currently live in the area?

"Hmm... you and your family look well-marbled."
Old 22 January 2013, 12:48 PM

". . . and slow."