snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 23 January 2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
He's been a US Senator for about
100 days, give or take a week.
This wins for the most easily disproven claim. He has been a Senator since January 3, 2005, so unless there are 50 days in a year, that's untrue.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:25 PM

I wish it was true. By being educated in Muslim schools he would understand them extremely well. Thus he wouldn't make stupid mistakes like invading Iraq. GWB and company didn't even know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite (or that there even were factions within Islam) before they invaded Iraq.

I guess the "Enemy Within" poster thinks that education is bad. In his case he certainly practices what he preaches. Its pretty obvious he doesn't know anything.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:33 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

You'd think that the pCm crowd would be pleased that one of the heathen had been brought to Christ and the True Church(TM).

I am of the opinion that there is a great deal of racism underlying the attacks on Obama. It's no longer considered socially acceptable to be overtly prejudiced against blacks, but an anti-Muslim bias is not only acceptable, it's patriotic! Label the black candidate a Muslim, and then you can indulge your racism with a clear conscience.

Then again, I could just be paranoid.

Four Kitties

Last edited by Four Kitties; 23 January 2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Never mind.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBCal View Post
I wish it was true. By being educated in Muslim schools he would understand them extremely well. Thus he wouldn't make stupid mistakes like invading Iraq. GWB and company didn't even know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite (or that there even were factions within Islam) before they invaded Iraq.
Hell, you don't have to have been educated in a Muslim school to have avoided making that mistake. All you have to be is intellectually curious, knew anything about the politics or power structure in Iraq and be aware enough to look at what happened in Yugoslovia when Tito died. Unfortunately the American people elected a President who not only wasn't that, he surrounded himself with many who weren't and disregarded those who were.
Old 23 January 2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
You'd think that the pCm crowd would be pleased that one of the heathen had been brought to Christ and the True Church(TM).

I am of the opinion that there is a great deal of racism underlying the attacks on Obama. It's no longer considered socially acceptable to be overtly prejudiced against blacks, but an anti-Muslim bias is not only acceptable, it's patriotic! Label the black candidate a Muslim, and then you can indulge your racism with a clear conscience.

Then again, I could just be paranoid.

Four Kitties
Well, if that's paranoia, then pass the tinfoil hat. I think you've hit the nail on the head. I suspect when the campaign actually kicks into gear that things will get uglier and uglier.
Old 23 January 2007, 06:54 PM

D'oh!

And so it begins....
This is going to be a fun two years (100 days?).
Old 23 January 2007, 08:07 PM

Icon104

Quote:
Even worse, it puts him in the position of having to vehemently deny ever having been Muslim, thereby essentially endorsing the viewpoint that it's something completely unpardonable and shameful. The same way that, fifty years ago or more, he'd probably have had to disclaim being half-black.

- snopes
Old 23 January 2007, 08:22 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Obama/Seinfeld: "I'm not Muslim! Not that there's anything wrong with that...."
Old 24 January 2007, 02:35 AM
jusuf

Scary? Off course not! Most White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) has suspicious thought against ideology and religion and even race different to them. It includes that scary note of Obama.

First, on Wahhabi School at Indonesia. There are NO Wahhabi movement or organization in Indonesia. Muhammadiyah, one of the largest Indonesian muslim organization, was formerly supposed to be Wahhabi, but it is not. Muhammadiyah is less radical than Wahhabist at Arab, and its aims are bringing back Islamic thought to Muhammad's teaching (PBUH), critize traditions adopted by muslims, and bringing in the prosperity to muslim's society by promoting syariah economy.

There are also few Islamic radical faction in Indonesia. Radical view is not popular in Indonesia. It is like seeing Skinhead in United States. Although it exists, but the existence is not significant. O yes, there are some, but again, few. Although there are some suicide bombings at Jakarta, Bali, Poso, or Ambon, but USAID projects are still running peacefully at the villages. The situation is really different in Pakistan, for instance.

The Islamic radical school is also not common in Indonesia. Madrasah is a form of formal Islamic school. Pesantren is another form of traditional Islamic school. Both Madrasah and Pesantren does not teach hatered to Americans but Islamic theology. You can compare Madrasah and Pesantren with Catholic Seminary. Thus, if Obama had his school at Madrasah or Pesantren, this will not turn him into Islamic fanatic or even terrorist.

Second, no muslim is terrorist and enemy to Western people. The ultimate ideology of Islam is to bring the prosperity to all humankind. Islam fights injustice, discrimination and violence around the world. The obedient muslims will be tolerant to differences, humble, non-violent, respectful to others, but dislike injustice. Their heart will be peaceful rather than hateful.

The problem is, most of the terrorists use Islam to gather support and volunteers. Those terrorists are, at one part, ambitious politicians who want to gain power by undemocratic manner, and, at the other part, helpless combatants who have no other idea to fight against Israel and its counterparts beside spreading terrors to civilians. They have to retaliate against American bombings to their houses or Israeli killings of their relatives, but they don't have equal power to fight back. Those terrorism manners are obviously against Al-Quran since mujahedeen or persons doing jihad, according to Al-Quran, are obliged to protect the life of women and children at war, even they are enemies.

That reality is often ignored by Western people. Terrorism has closed most Westerner's eyes to the fact of Islam. The terrorists have overshadowed Islam with cruelty and violence which are contradict to Islam.

Finally, I would say that a good and faithful Islamic ideologist, does not endanger Western society, and is not harmful to America. So, it is okay for American to have muslim President. If Obama is muslim, then it doesn't mean that Americans got a wolf sneaking into the sheep herds.

Americans now have congressman who is muslim. His name is Keith Ellison, and he represent the 5th District. He is fairly elected by the people of America, supported not only by American muslims but also Christians. That is one evidence that a muslim is not a danger. It also shows us that building the political career in United States does not require conversion to Christianism.
Old 24 January 2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusuf View Post
Americans now have congressman who is muslim. His name is Keith Ellison, and he represent the 5th District. He is fairly elected by the people of America, supported not only by American muslims but also Christians. That is one evidence that a muslim is not a danger. It also shows us that building the political career in United States does not require conversion to Christianism.
Thank you for your post. Welcome to the boards.

I have to correct you on one thing though. Mr. Ellison did convert. He converted to Islam at 19 when he was in college. He had been raised Christian -- Roman Catholic, in fact.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:04 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusuf View Post
Scary? Off course not! Most White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) has suspicious thought against ideology and religion and even race different to them. It includes that scary note of Obama.

First, on Wahhabi School at Indonesia. There are NO Wahhabi movement or organization in Indonesia.
Not now, perhaps: what was going on 40 years ago, when Obama was there?
Quote:
Americans now have congressman who is muslim. His name is Keith Ellison, and he represent the 5th District.
I suggest you specify here: thirty states have a Fifth Congressional District. Congressman Ellison represents the 5th District of Minnesota.

Welcome to the boards!

Four Kitties
Old 24 January 2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Not now, perhaps: what was going on 40 years ago, when Obama was there?
Wahhabis wasn't exported until the '70s. Obama was back in Hawaii by then. And there is no indication it was exported to Indonesia back then, either.
Old 24 January 2007, 03:26 AM

I was raised in a Jim Crow south in a predominantly Klan area and the original post sounds much like what i used to hear about the blacks back then.
In MHO a man or woman should be judged by thier actions not by the accident of their birth. You do not get to choose your parents but you can choose your acitons.
I'll get off my soapbox now
Old 24 January 2007, 12:10 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post
Wahhabis wasn't exported until the '70s. Obama was back in Hawaii by then. And there is no indication it was exported to Indonesia back then, either.
Thanks. That's what I thought I remembered, as well.

Of course the advance sleeper agents could have indoctrinated this one boy ahead of time, just in case he might someday decide to run for President. They're sneaky that way, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalocowolf View Post
I was raised in a Jim Crow south in a predominantly Klan area and the original post sounds much like what i used to hear about the blacks back then.
This is also the same argument made 45 years ago about JFK's being Catholic.

You'd think they'd have come up with something new by now.

Four Kitties
Old 24 January 2007, 01:13 PM

Colbert discussed the Insight article on Colbert Report last night. Not much help, though because anyone who would buy the Obama-the-Muslim-terrorist story wouldn't be watching Colbert.
Old 24 January 2007, 08:09 PM
Iludium Phosdex

Icon103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennicott View Post
Scary? No way! What really is scary to me is the evident and blatant demagoguery revealed in the original post here. Sounds much like a column I would expect to read in the Unification Church leader’s, Sun Myung Moon, Washington Times. It is my opinion that it is this style of hate mongering rhetoric that leads to so much angry divisiveness in our country today. Obfuscation of facts is one thing but outright misrepresentation of the facts is another....
I, for one, would think of it as racist and Islamophobic.
Old 25 January 2007, 08:27 AM

Reporter

You have to admire Insight's chutzpah: "Oh, we didn't claim anything; we were merely reporting what somebody else said":

http://www.insightmag.com/ME2/dirmod...ECE0B1163DD85A

Another fine practitioner of the "some guy said" brand of journalism.

Quote:
CNN’s claim that Obama attended a multi-confessional, secular public school needs verification by other news outlets—such as FOX News—who will look the facts straight on, without a vested ideological interest in downplaying Obama’s Muslim heritage.
Translation: "This story needs to covered by a news organization that doesn't allow pesky facts to intrude into their reporting."

- snopes
Old 26 January 2007, 03:55 AM
medtchva

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

Translation: "This story needs to covered by a news organization that doesn't allow pesky facts to intrude into their reporting."

- snopes
*laughing my butt off rolling on the floor* Ain't that the truth!
Old 27 January 2007, 12:50 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
Being an agnostic, borderlining atheist, I can just judge from how I would react. If one of my two kids would be interested in a religion, I would help them to delve deeper into it. Facts as well as fiction. If they still think thats the religion for them, then they would be welcome to follow it.
Very often agnostics are labeled atheists, but there is a difference it in, which can lead to misleading informations / point of views about someone labeled atheist.
Technically, we're all agnostic.

I'm in the agnostic school of, "I don't believe what anyone else tells me about religion either." I'm most definitely not atheist, though, as I prescribe the same beliefs towards atheism as I do towards any actual religion. No one knows for sure, and I might be (probably am) wrong.

I do, however, like to quote Christ a lot. Christians hate it.
Old 27 January 2007, 01:31 AM

Reporter Rivals CNN and Fox News Spar Over Obama Report

A disputed report on the Web site of a conservative magazine about Senator Barack Obama’s childhood schooling kicked off a pointed exchange between the rival cable news networks CNN and Fox News, when CNN seemed to make an overt effort both to debunk the report and to question the quality of Fox News’s journalism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/24/us...s/24obama.html