snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Sports

Old 20 May 2009, 08:24 AM

United Kingdom Rangers fans tricked into buying Dundee socks?

Seen this posted on several football forums recently, but never with a link to the original forum the prank was supposedly pulled on. Sounds very much to me like the kind of legend that goes around every now and again with the names of the teams changed depending on who's telling it.

Quote:
Celtic fan signs up on a Rangers forum, makes a couple of posts and no-one is any the wiser he's a Celtic fan.

Then he makes a thread saying

Quote:
If you wan't tickets for next week's title decider away to Dundee United, read here...

Since the away allocation for Rangers fans of 5 thousand is long sold out. Tickets for the home end is the only solution.

But as we all know, if your not on Dundee United's official club/supporter database then you won't even be able to buy tickets for the home end.

Here's what to do..

Phone up the club shop. And ask to buy a pair of Dundee United kit socks. Don't even mention tickets for Sunday. They will become suspicious.
Then when they take your sock order, personal details and process your payment your details will then be stored on thier system.
Give it a few hours until there's a shift change, phone up again and order your home tickets for the Rangers match and beacuse of your sock order, you will be on thier system and you will get your match tickets. It's perfect lads.
Turns out, there's no such database and all these stupid Rangers fans have ended up with hundreds of pairs of Dundee United socks and no match tickets

I've got to take my hat off to him, what a prank
Old 20 May 2009, 09:00 AM

Ponder

Meeting of the marketing department at Dundee United.

'OK. We have 10,000 pairs of unsold socks in our club shop - and with the change of kit next season... I know. Rangers are visiting us in a fortnights time, so why don't we...?'
Old 20 May 2009, 09:25 AM

Ponder

'Never by socks from a football shop, they shaft you every time'
Old 24 May 2009, 07:46 PM

Doubt it really happened. I've seen it posted with an Aberdeen fan doing the prank. I also don't think that a club shop would operate a shift system: "Give it a few hours until there's a shift change."

I've googled it and, as the OP says, it's never the alleged original prank that can be found, just the retellings of the story.

As an aside, there was news stories in the local newspaper here in Tayside about Rangers fans phoning up Dundee United posing as United fans in order to try and get tickets, but when challenged they couldn't answer the most basic questions about United.