snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 28 February 2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
Now it would be nice if Al Gore put solar panels on his house and put in wind mills & geothermal heat exchangers, but that might be against his local zoning laws. Of course, if he really went "off the grid", people might think he was crazy....
You're being facetious, right?

Quote:
They were also in the process of installing solar panels and low-energy light bulbs to reduce consumption from the grid, she added.
According to Gore's spokeswoman, they ARE doing that.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:29 PM
Doug4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justusfour View Post
You're being facetious, right?

According to Gore's spokeswoman, they ARE doing that.
Well then, good for him. He IS doing something to lower his footprint. That is a good thing.

As for the "crazy" remark, the "typical" person who goes to the trouble to completely remove themselves from the grid is the weird/crazy survivalist type. My guess is if Al Gore did enough to take himself totally off the grid, his distractors would start comparing him to those survivalist types....
Old 28 February 2007, 02:34 PM
Unklesam

Oh, I see, consuming energy at alarming rates is only bad if you not super-wealthy?

Isn't the point that consumption is bad? And given that premise, we should consume less? And isn't Mr. Gore asking us to do that? And it isn't the teeniest bit hypocritical to ask others to do something you are exactly doing yourself?

There are numerous possibilites a person has to consume less conventional energy. If he is super-wealthy, then Mr. Gore put your money where your mouth is, consume less (not less than me or you) and what you do consume, do it more responsibly. Or don't bother to ask others to do it.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklesam View Post
There are numerous possibilites a person has to consume less conventional energy. If he is super-wealthy, then Mr. Gore put your money where your mouth is, consume less (not less than me or you) and what you do consume, do it more responsibly. Or don't bother to ask others to do it.
Once more:

Quote:
The family was trying to reduce carbon emissions by getting energy from a local programme which generated energy from renewable resources such as solar and wind power instead of fossil fuels, she told ABC News.

They were also in the process of installing solar panels and low-energy light bulbs to reduce consumption from the grid, she added.
He IS using his wealth,"putting his money where his mouth is", to reduce his consumption. And you completely ignored that part where I pointed out he also doubles his home as office space for him and his wife, to work. Or should they just work in the dark? You can't argue one point while completely ignoring another.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:40 PM
brendaal

I think that's what others are trying get across. The media and detractors can't compare his "20x normal household" usage bc his household isn't normal. What they need are his usage numbers BEFORE he began the global warming/conservation talks. That would tell us whether he is walking the walk.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:43 PM
Unklesam

They are just getting around to low-energy bulbs?? He is super wealthy and he hasn't been diverting funds to wind-power? He is just now "in the process" of using solar panels?

Sorry, I have been doing 2 of the 3 for the past several years.

And if I had the money, I would be using solar panels as well, because in Philadelphia you get credit for any energy you can create and either use or store, it is just way too much upfront cost for me.

And I beleive it is speculation that the home doubles as an office, but even so, might there be better alternatives than the convience of a home office? Perhaps an office complex that pools energy resources?
Old 28 February 2007, 02:47 PM

[quote=Unklesam;78664]
Quote:
And if I had the money, I would be using solar panels as well, because in Philadelphia you get credit for any energy you can create and either use or store, it is just way too much upfront cost for me.
As Doug pointed out, I don't think it's as simple as that. There's probably a lengthy process involved, and he's surely just a tad busier than you are.

Quote:
And I beleive it is speculation that the home doubles as an office, but even so, might there be better alternatives than the convience of a home office? Perhaps an office complex that pools energy resources?
What speculation?? Why would his spokeswoman lie? And an office complex would use less energy than a home? Truly you are trying to play from both ends of the field here. That doesn't make any sense.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:53 PM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Why would his spokeswoman lie?
I can't be bothered commenting on most of this but that has to be the silliest statement I've heard this week. She would lie because her job is specifically to make him look good.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:57 PM
Unklesam

Quote:
As Doug pointed out, I don't think it's as simple as that. There's probably a lengthy process involved, and he's surely just a tad busier than you are.
Umm, he is too busy to help reduce energy? Isn't that just a tad hypocritical?

You may not think it is a simple as that, but perhaps it is. And what about the other two points I make regarding bulbs and alternative energies? Still too busy?

Also, I assume your guessing at how my schedule might look.

Quote:
What speculation?? Why would his spokeswoman lie?
I missed where the spokeswoman said it was a home office.

Quote:
And an office complex would use less energy than a home?
Perhaps. Perhaps not. But I am guessing the reason they use their home as an office is for the sake of convience. An office complex that already exists, where they could rent space, might be less accesible, but may make much more sense energy-wise. Complexes like that try to keep energy costs low because it cuts into profits. So it might make a better choice.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You ay not think it is a simple as that, but perhaps it is. And what about the other to points I make regarding bulbs and alternative energies? Still too busy?
What about all the posters who have pointed out that he has taken, or is in the process of taking, those steps? Are you too busy to read them?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
I can't be bothered commenting on most of this but that has to be the silliest statement I've heard this week. She would lie because her job is specifically to make him look good.
Granted. Put it another way, why lie about something that can be fairly easily verified? Especially with the attack dogs on the loose.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:03 PM
Unklesam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
What about all the posters who have pointed out that he has taken, or is in the process of taking, those steps? Are you too busy to read them?

What took so long?? What was he waiting on?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:03 PM

So let's just suppose that we all live in a small town that get's isolated from the rest of the world. Some people do some calculations and figure that food is going to be in short supply in the coming years. An impressively obese man stands up, in a nice suit, and announces that we all should just cut back our consumption to solve the problem. As an example, he's going to cut back to 18,000 calories a day from his consumption of 20,000. Now assuming the average person is consuming say 2500 calories day, which idiots are going to follow this guy as someone who understands how to handle a food shortage?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Those are interesting questions. I don't know the answer. But your question was why he hadn't done them.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:10 PM
Unklesam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklesam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Those are interesting questions. I don't know the answer. But your question was why he hadn't done them.
Umm no, I only commented on why he was just getting around to doing those now.

Quote:
They are just getting around to low-energy bulbs?? He is super wealthy and he hasn't been diverting funds to wind-power? He is just now "in the process" of using solar panels?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerus the duck View Post
That's a statement (that they both work at home) that would be easily verifiable, though. So sorry to have bothered you.

ETA: spanked
Old 28 February 2007, 03:12 PM
Unklesam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
So let's just suppose that we all live in a small town that get's isolated from the rest of the world. Some people do some calculations and figure that food is going to be in short supply in the coming years. An impressively obese man stands up, in a nice suit, and announces that we all should just cut back our consumption to solve the problem. As an example, he's going to cut back to 18,000 calories a day from his consumption of 20,000. Now assuming the average person is consuming say 2500 calories day, which idiots are going to follow this guy as someone who understands how to handle a food shortage?
Seemingly plenty.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:16 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

So his spokeswoman might be lying, but the OP is all "truth"? Why is that right? This is obviously just a way to attack Gore without actually doing anything.

The "real" questions would be,

1. How does his "footprint" compare to others in his neighborhood?
2. How does he compare to other who are of his stature (i.e., political, not the fact that he is not a small man)?
3. Is he working to reduce his current "footprint"?

I don't know the answers to #1 & #2, but #3 seems to be "yes". So why are people still going after him? This is a classic case of, "When did you stop beating your wife?". If he is not doing "everything" he could, they go after him. If he IS doing everything he can, they go after him for not doing it sooner.

So I want to know why he is not walking or biking to all of his functions and wearing only sackcloth?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:20 PM
Doug4.7

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Actually, it would be more like a family of 8 says they will cut back to 16,000 kcal a day. Now should the "average" person who consumes 2500 kcal be upset?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Gore's power bill shows, however, that the former vice president may be doing just that.

Gore purchased 108 blocks of "green power" for each of the past three months, according to a summary of the bills.

That's a total of $432 a month Gore paid extra for solar or other renewable energy sources.

The green power Gore purchased is equivalent to recycling 2.48 million aluminum cans or 286,092 pounds of newspaper, according to comparison figures on the electric company's Web site.
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...702280381/1003

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research received $1.6 million from Exxon. I'm sure they aren't biased.

http://cupofjoepowell.blogspot.com/