snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 15 September 2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
I don't think that's the intention of local pronounciations at all. Locals grow up talking one way. It still strange and frankly wrong when someone pronounces it a different way. Eventually, you get used to it. But at first, it makes you tick a bit. I still cringe at the way other people pronounce New Orleans, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, etc. I never corrected them. (Well, I had to make Fowl stop. I live with him. I can't be cringing that much.) What it comes down to is local accents are not immoral. And we shouldn't judge why others pronounce things.

ETA: Have as much patience with local accents as you would expect locals to have with your accent.
Please, please call my mother and tell her how to pronounce New Orleans, she says New OR-lee-ons and I really hate to correct her, I just try to say it correctly soon afterward and hope she gets the hint, but it hasn't happened yet. And she's lived in this area her whole life.

For Lafayette, I can understand the confusion slightly for someone who has never been there since there is a Lafayette county in South Arkansas that is pronounced la-FAY-et.

How do people mispronounce Baton Rouge? I don't guess I've ever heard anyone try to say it incorrectly; or, perhaps, I've never heard anyone say it correctly.
Old 16 September 2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
I thought these were the glass ones that stood right next to the person speaking.
yes, but the cameras are directly behind it giving the impression of staring into it
Old 16 September 2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
The speech was not labored.
Maybe not, but her voice makes me want to stab my ears out with a lead pencil. Anyone else react to her voice like nails on a chalkboard?
Old 16 September 2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mela681 View Post
Please, please call my mother and tell her how to pronounce New Orleans, she says New OR-lee-ons and I really hate to correct her, I just try to say it correctly soon afterward and hope she gets the hint, but it hasn't happened yet. And she's lived in this area her whole life.
Then I probably can't help you. Heck, my own husband still says it wrong. But he's probably deliberately screwing with me. But I still hit him when a "Lee" shows up anywhere. Maybe you could try that.

Quote:
How do people mispronounce Baton Rouge? I don't guess I've ever heard anyone try to say it incorrectly; or, perhaps, I've never heard anyone say it correctly.
I have to deal with vendors from all over the country. The worst is Minnisota. (Apologies to our Minnisota snopesters.) bayTON Rewj. It took me a couple of times to figure out what this vendor rep was saying. She was probably thinking "Figures, I call Texas and no one speaks English."

Me: Where?
Her: You know bayTon Rewj, in LU-E-Z-Ana.
Me: Ba-tun Rouge in Lu-ZE-ana?
Her: Yes
Me: Kay

I'm willing to spot people Lafayette.
Old 16 September 2008, 09:41 PM

Okay, I have to admit I am a little surprised to hear that pronunciation of "Iran" and "Iraq" can be indicative of political leanings. I am actually someone who pronounces "Iraq" a few ways, one of which is Eye-rack. I didn't know this was "wrong", and I have never, ever supported the war. It may be because I am from the Midwest and now live in Missouri, which itself has at least two common pronunciations, neither of which is "right" or "wrong" (Mi-ser-ee and Mi-ser-ah). A life-long local (or MU grad) is much more likely to say Mi-ser-ah, but neither is "wrong".
Old 16 September 2008, 10:05 PM

I thought it was "misery."
Old 16 September 2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
A little off-topic, but does anyone know who the last president to write his own speeches was?
I know from personal experience from back when I was in DC working for the government that Clinton would amend, change and rewrite speeches given to him - at least the minor announcement type thing we did with him. When he actually gave the speech it had changed a fair amount from his last draft as well.

I'm not sure that this wasn't the work of his writers, but I suspect presidents have a fair amount of input as to what goes into thier speeches and what's actualy said. I bet this is true of all of them, I'm not suggesting Clinton was special in this regard.

-Winged Monkey
Old 16 September 2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
I have to deal with vendors from all over the country. The worst is Minnisota. (Apologies to our Minnisota snopesters.) bayTON Rewj. It took me a couple of times to figure out what this vendor rep was saying. She was probably thinking "Figures, I call Texas and no one speaks English."

Me: Where?
Her: You know bayTon Rewj, in LU-E-Z-Ana.
Me: Ba-tun Rouge in Lu-ZE-ana?
Her: Yes
Me: Kay

I'm willing to spot people Lafayette.
To be fair, the bayTON Rewj part is an attempt to pronounce it the French way.
Old 17 September 2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I thought it was "misery."
[Music Man] But we don't like it when other people call it that. [/Music Man]
Old 17 September 2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
To be fair, the bayTON Rewj part is an attempt to pronounce it the French way.
It's the "bay" rather than "bah" that would throw me off.

Minnesotans accents took me a bit of getting used to when we moved there when I was 12. Kids played taig instead of tag, and kept dags as pets. I met a bunch of boys named Deev, and couldn't figure out what it was short for until I heard someone say Deevid. None of their vowels sound right to my ear.

Quote:
Maybe not, but her voice makes me want to stab my ears out with a lead pencil. Anyone else react to her voice like nails on a chalkboard?
Yes. Hillary Clinton's accent has the same effect for me though. I hoped Obama would win the Democratic nomination for no better reason than the fact that his voice didn't grate on my ears.