snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 07 September 2008, 02:31 AM

Whalephant Palin read speech phonetically?

I did not hear or see Palin's acceptance speech at the Republican convention. I heard one radio talk-show commentator -- aye, left-wing hate radio -- say that it was obvious to him that she was reading it off the teleprompter, and reading it phonetically, thus mispronouncing words with which she was unfamiliar.

Any truth to this, or just the usual political smear?

Silas
Old 07 September 2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
I did not hear or see Palin's acceptance speech at the Republican convention. I heard one radio talk-show commentator -- aye, left-wing hate radio -- say that it was obvious to him that she was reading it off the teleprompter, and reading it phonetically, thus mispronouncing words with which she was unfamiliar.

Any truth to this, or just the usual political smear?

Silas
It's true, though I don't think it's that big a deal. Language Log covered this. http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=561

ETA: Actually, I read your post too quickly. The blog I linked to says something a bit different, though related.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:58 AM

I've heard the same thing that Steve's blog link reported, which is that "nuclear" was spelled phonetically so as to avoid the Bush pronunciation.

It seems that if there were any other phonetic pronunciations, we would have been likely to hear of them by now. The teleprompters are visible to many people, including those in the press. Mike Allen of Politico, for example, reported that he could tell the "pitbull" line was ad libbed because he was following along with her speech by reading it on her prompter.
Old 07 September 2008, 05:17 AM

I heard this somewhere on MSNBC (I think, I know it was on TV), but it seemed to be accepted that it was commonplace for major speeches read off a teleprompter.

ETA: It was Keith Olbermann talking to Rachel Maddow.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 07 September 2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07 September 2008, 05:25 AM

I've seen the speech critiqued on Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Show, et al, and it seems most people noted her labored, obvious delivery of the speech. While I assumed most speeches of that nature are read from a teleprompter, she seemed to do a very poor job of it.
Old 07 September 2008, 06:28 AM

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
I've seen the speech critiqued on Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Show, et al, and it seems most people noted her labored, obvious delivery of the speech. While I assumed most speeches of that nature are read from a teleprompter, she seemed to do a very poor job of it.
And Fred Thompson, who criticized an unnamed candidate's "TelePrompTer speech" while reading a speech off a TelePrompTer.

- snopes
Old 07 September 2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
Lack of practice, maybe? I don't know whether the governor of Alaska would have much opportunity to read speeches off a teleprompter or not.
Old 07 September 2008, 03:01 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Lack of practice, maybe? I don't know whether the governor of Alaska would have much opportunity to read speeches off a teleprompter or not.
It takes quite a bit to read off a teleprompter and make it look natural -- or at least that was my experience. You need training and a goodly amount of practice. I didn't see the entire speech so I don't know how long it was but it might have been better for her to simply memorise the speech instead.
Old 07 September 2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
It takes quite a bit to read off a teleprompter and make it look natural -- or at least that was my experience. You need training and a goodly amount of practice. I didn't see the entire speech so I don't know how long it was but it might have been better for her to simply memorise the speech instead.
I think Teleprompters are widely misused. They're great for someone who is, say, reading the news, but I don't think they should be used as a substitute for memorizing a 45 minute speech.

However, since she didn't write the speech herself, it is highly likely that she would not have had more than a passing familiarity with its text.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:12 PM

A little off-topic, but does anyone know who the last president to write his own speeches was?

If I had to guess, my first thought would be FDR, but that's a wild guess, and considering that he was probably prepped more than any previous president, just to give people the impression he could walk, I could be wrong.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:14 PM
covel

She has probably used a teleprompter back in her sportcasting days, but I would imagine not much since then. She appeared to be much more at ease reading from the notes in front of her (if you watch you can see her look down at the podium pretty often).

Most politicians have speechwriters, even Barack Obama sometimes uses David Axelrod for speeches. She was also quite involved in the crafting of the speech. TIme magazine reported she was sequested for several days "boning up on policy and crafting her text."
http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...838321,00.html

Reagan wrote some of his own as did FDR. Teddy Roosevelt wrote all his own speeches. (PBS had an interview on it )

Last edited by covel; 07 September 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covel View Post
She has probably used a teleprompter back in her sportcasting days, but I would imagine not much since then. She appeared to be much more at ease reading from the notes in front of her (if you watch you can see her look down at the podium pretty often).
There typically is a prompter screen in the lectern, as well, so she may have been reading that (I don't recall her shuffling through notes).

Quote:
Most politicians have speechwriters, even Barack Obama sometimes uses David Axelrod for speeches. She was also quite involved in the crafting of the speech. TIme magazine reported she was sequested for several days "boning up on policy and crafting her text."
http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...838321,00.html

She may have had some input, but the speech, by and large, was written before she was even selected.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
A little off-topic, but does anyone know who the last president to write his own speeches was?

If I had to guess, my first thought would be FDR, but that's a wild guess, and considering that he was probably prepped more than any previous president, just to give people the impression he could walk, I could be wrong.
FDR had speechwriters, though he himself wrote a decent number of his own speeches. I suspect (though I don't really know) that no president since has been as involved in his speeches as FDR.

And as far as I can tell, Wilson was the last presidnet to not hire speechwriters.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:35 PM
covel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
There typically is a prompter screen in the lectern, as well, so she may have been reading that (I don't recall her shuffling through notes).

[/URL]
She may have had some input, but the speech, by and large, was written before she was even selected.
She did have a paper copy of her speech on the podium- even with all the other controversy over the teleprompter, every source I have seen said that.

The speech may have been started before she was nominated, but considering about 50% of the speech is very specific to her and her family, at least a good portion was prepared after her nomination. Transcipt
Old 07 September 2008, 04:37 PM

She didn't read off the teleprompter any more than any other speech giver in either convention.

She looked down at her notes a few times very casually.

She looked at the cameras and at various people, even turning around to see people behind her.

It was a well delivered message and she appeared comfortable.

Real Time with Bill Maher and The Daily Show, are hardly unbiased reporting. The speech was not labored.

Come on folks, I don't support her any more than you do but her speech was not any worse than when Obama struggles for words.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:39 PM

She also had to be very familiar ith the material, as the Teleprompter operator reportedly did not stop for the applause breaks, so the text was often several lines beyond where she needed to be. (No net cite - I heard it on several different radio sources).
Old 07 September 2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
She didn't read off the teleprompter any more than any other speech giver in either convention.
See also my earlier post about the inordinate reliance on 'prompters.

Quote:
She looked at the cameras and at various people,
'Prompters are mounted on camera stands.

Quote:
even turning around to see people behind her.
Cues of which would be on the 'prompter.

Quote:
It was a well delivered message and she appeared comfortable.
I don't disagree with that.

Quote:
Come on folks, I don't support her any more than you do but her speech was not any worse than when Obama struggles for words.
Who said it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
She also had to be very familiar ith the material, as the Teleprompter operator reportedly did not stop for the applause breaks, so the text was often several lines beyond where she needed to be. (No net cite - I heard it on several different radio sources).
'Prompters can be reversed, and she often stepped on applause lines.
Old 07 September 2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covel View Post
She did have a paper copy of her speech on the podium- even with all the other controversy over the teleprompter, every source I have seen said that.
That's standard for any politician using a teleprompter. It's basically Plan B in case there's some technical difficulty.
Old 07 September 2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
'Prompters are mounted on camera stands.
I thought these were the glass ones that stood right next to the person speaking.
Old 07 September 2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
I thought these were the glass ones that stood right next to the person speaking.
This is the kind I am talking about, and I am pretty sure the kind used at the RNC. About halfway down this page is what I think you're talking about. But looking at this picture of Fred Thompson, it looks like you are right.