snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 31 August 2008, 06:22 PM

Our news reports over here have differed in their report of how many children Palin has. At least i now know why they report different numbers.
Old 31 August 2008, 06:25 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by covel View Post
What would it take to quiet the suggestion?
DNA would quell some of the gossip, certainly. And even that won't quiet all the speculation: the prosecution in the OJ trial had DNA, too.

It's an election year. There will be all kinds of speculation on all kinds of tinfoil hat topics as long as we have freedom of speech.

Four Kitties
Old 31 August 2008, 06:27 PM

I don't think there's a chance she'll address this with DNA.

Is this the first case of a possible out-of-wedlock child coming back to haunt a female candidate?
Old 31 August 2008, 06:33 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I don't think there's a chance she'll address this with DNA.
Of course she won't -- nor should she.

Four Kitties
Old 31 August 2008, 07:36 PM

I love it when conspiracy nuts present contradictory evidence for their theories-- 1) the baby couldn't be hers because she wasn't showing 2) she pretended to be pregnant to cover up her daughter's pregnancy. Yeah. Fake pregnancy bellies don't exist so there's no way she could have pretended to look pregnant.

And no two pregnancies in the same woman look alike. A friend of mine looked so huge at 8 months with her first child, I didn't see how she could get around, but nine years later, in her third pregnancy with twins, she didn't look as big days before they were born (big, yes, just not as big as with #1).
Old 31 August 2008, 07:57 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I love it when conspiracy nuts present contradictory evidence for their theories-- 1) the baby couldn't be hers because she wasn't showing 2) she pretended to be pregnant to cover up her daughter's pregnancy. Yeah. Fake pregnancy bellies don't exist so there's no way she could have pretended to look pregnant.
Perhaps she didn't decide until well into the pregnancy that she would try to claim her daughter's child as her own (hence the mere one-month gap between the announcement of "her" pregnancy and the birth of "her" child). At that point the ruse would have been obvious if she suddenly started to show overnight, so they had forego the "fake belly" deception and just cover by claiming she didn't show much.

- snopes
Old 31 August 2008, 08:00 PM

Or even know until well into the pregnancy that her daughter was pregnant, maybe. (And maybe that explains why the pregnancy wasn't terminated as effectively as an anti-abortion position, or more).

Just speculating, of course.
Old 31 August 2008, 08:12 PM
RoseyDawn

O.k. *if* this rumor is true, then I'm mystified why she (or anyone) would bother with such an elaborate cover-up of her daughter's unwed pregnancy.

This is 2008 folks; who gives a fig.

IMHO, the only wrong here (as so often happens) is the deception and cover-up.

Again, IMHO, I would have a LOT more respect for Gov. Palin if she openly supported her daughter through the pregnancy and then announced that she and her husband are going to raise the baby as their own.

I have NO respect for them misleading everyone, if that is what was done. All that does is make the daughter feel shame. No need for doing that to their daughter.
Old 31 August 2008, 08:17 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyDawn View Post
O.k. *if* this rumor is true, then I'm mystified why she (or anyone) would bother with such an elaborate cover-up of her daughter's unwed pregnancy. This is 2008 folks; who gives a fig.
A candidate who held himself/herself up as a strong proponent of "family values" would probably draw a fair amount of criticism over the revelation that his/her unwed teenage daughter was pregnant. Of course, that's nothing compared to the amount of criticism a candidate would draw if she were discovered trying to cover it up by passing off her daughter's child as her own ...

- snopes
Old 31 August 2008, 08:42 PM
Catalyst

Quote:
O.k. *if* this rumor is true, then I'm mystified why she (or anyone) would bother with such an elaborate cover-up of her daughter's unwed pregnancy.
One of Gov. Palin's "things" is abstinence-only sex ed. If we presume that she practices what she preaches, her own teenaged daughter getting pregnant would be a pretty good indication that it doesn't work.

I've never understood abstinence-only sex ed anyway. How do the kids know what not to do?
Old 31 August 2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
I've never understood abstinence-only sex ed anyway. How do the kids know what not to do?
Old 31 August 2008, 10:12 PM
RoseyDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
A candidate who held himself/herself up as a strong proponent of "family values" would probably draw a fair amount of criticism over the revelation that his/her unwed teenage daughter was pregnant. Of course, that's nothing compared to the amount of criticism a candidate would draw if she were discovered trying to cover it up by passing off her daughter's child as her own ...

- snopes
O.K. - I can intellectually understand that it would be embarrassing to her when it was learned (as it surely would be) that she couldn't even sell abstinence only to her own daughter. But IMHO, the whole 'family values' stand should *start* with stand by your family - in this case her daughter. One does not have to support the action (e.g., not practicing abstinence) to support the daughter.

At the point in time that the daughter's pregnancy (again, my comments are accepting for the sake of discussion that it really was the daughter who was pregnant) was going to become apparent, she could have simply made a statement to the effect: "As sometimes happens, our daughter failed to listen to our teaching of abstinence only and is now pregnant. We intend to stand by her and support her as she carries this baby to term. My husband and I will accept this baby as if it were our own."
Old 31 August 2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
At the point in time that the daughter's pregnancy (again, my comments are accepting for the sake of discussion that it really was the daughter who was pregnant) was going to become apparent, she could have simply made a statement to the effect: "As sometimes happens, our daughter failed to listen to our teaching of abstinence only and is now pregnant. We intend to stand by her and support her as she carries this baby to term. My husband and I will accept this baby as if it were our own."
Which would only strengthen the argument for the other side that birth control methods should be taught.

Frankly, if it IS her daughter's baby, I don't see any way she can spin it and come out clean.
Old 31 August 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
"As sometimes happens, our daughter failed to listen to our teaching of abstinence only and is now pregnant. "
But abstinence is 100% effective, it is regularly claimed.
Old 31 August 2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
But abstinence is 100% effective, it is regularly claimed.
Those who claim that regularly would also say that the statistic is irrelevant in the case of any pregnancy, as obviously the pregnant person didn't practice abstinence.
Old 31 August 2008, 11:11 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Which would be tantamount to admitting that the cornerstone of the abstinence only, anti-birth control, anti-sex education platform is flawed.

- snopes
Old 31 August 2008, 11:52 PM
RoseyDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Which would be tantamount to admitting that the cornerstone of the abstinence only, anti-birth control, anti-sex education platform is flawed.

- snopes
Which, in my opinion, it is!

While I can accept the premise of the religious right's position, IMHO, they are like an ostrich which is threatened. Much like that ostrich, the very danger they refuse to face gets them in the tail. Ignoring the reality of hormones and opting for *only* abstinence is a very real danger, especially with young people who are feeling them for the first time.

In my opinion while it is very appropriate to encourage abstinence, especially for the young, it would be far wiser to give them the education and tools to deal with becoming sexually active if abstinence takes a backseat to hormones. (hmmm, wait, it is usually the young couple who are in the backseat ........... nah, I'm not going there.)
Old 31 August 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
Those who claim that regularly would also say that the statistic is irrelevant in the case of any pregnancy, as obviously the pregnant person didn't practice abstinence.
Of course, the same people would be appalled at the idea of throwing out statistics on pill or condom failure caused by people failing to take or use those properly.
Old 01 September 2008, 01:35 AM

Has there been anything more on her daughter not being in school for many months with a case of mononucleosis toward the end of the pregnancy? I'm going to have to bring out my tinfoil hat on this one. Too many magic bullets for aspiring conspiracy theorists.

Maybe the real scandal is that the father turns out to be John Edwards.
Old 01 September 2008, 02:00 AM
Catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Has there been anything more on her daughter not being in school for many months with a case of mononucleosis toward the end of the pregnancy? I'm going to have to bring out my tinfoil hat on this one. Too many magic bullets for aspiring conspiracy theorists.

Maybe the real scandal is that the father turns out to be John Edwards.
I'm mostly finding blog entries; I'm sure Bristol's school has been inundated with calls to find out the details of her absence and illness. The general timeline appears to be that she contracted mononucleosis about 4-5 months before Trig's birth. Awful timing if it was actually mono.

It's not unheard of for someone to be out of school or work for months with mono; I even have a friend who missed a chunk of his freshman year of college because he got one of the "evil" cases that leaves you a wreck for months. He also lost a great deal of weight and looked like death warmed over at the six-month mark.

In recent pictures, Bristol Palin has a ring of some sort on her left ring finger. Could be an abstinence pledge, though she is also of legal age to wed with parental consent in most states. (But if the child is hers and she had a shotgun wedding, why would her mother still be raising the child?)

I ran across a hilarious flowchart of the decisions made shortly before the baby's birth... Okay, hilarious to me, at least. May be NSFW due to language.