snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 30 August 2008, 08:43 PM

Icon97 Palin's youngest child isn't hers?

Comment: I'm interested in the rumour that Sarah Palin's new infant is not hers, but her teenage daughter's.
Old 30 August 2008, 09:05 PM

Gossipy links:
http://stupidcelebrities.net/2008/08...ghters-photos/

http://www.mahalo.com/Sarah_Palin_Pregnancy_Rumors

Possible I guess, but I think it's highly unlikely that she would accept the VP Nomination if it were true. Medical Records people don't make that much money after all.
Old 30 August 2008, 09:10 PM

Horrible nasty gossip, but if true--wow. What a bitch, to try to keep her teenage daughter's life on track like that.
Old 30 August 2008, 09:14 PM

This was brought up in the Campaign 2008 thread. There was some discussion around the fact that she actually went into labor at a public event. Pretty tough to fake.
Old 30 August 2008, 09:16 PM

Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Possible I guess, but I think it's highly unlikely that she would accept the VP Nomination if it were true. Medical Records people don't make that much money after all.
Plenty of "experts" are still insisting that Barack Obama's birth certificate is a forgery even though if that were true, anyone with access to health records in Hawaii would be able to sink his candidacy in a heartbeat.

- snopes
Old 30 August 2008, 09:48 PM
RoseyDawn

Default Governor cuts Texas trip short, gives birth

Sorry for making a new post on this. I had already posted it in Campaign 2008 on page 86, msg. 1703 but I can't figure out how to link to that post.

Governor cuts Texas trip short, gives birth

Included in the article is this statement:
Quote:
An announcement from the state said that Palin's "labor began (Thursday) while she was in Texas at the governor's energy conference, where she gave the keynote luncheon address, but let up enough for her to travel on Alaska Airlines back to Alaska in time to deliver her second son."
I very seriously doubt that this could all have been faked.
Old 30 August 2008, 10:35 PM

I'm not sure why it couldn't have been. After all, she could have been in TX when she got a call that her daughter was in labor, and flown back to AK to be with her. In fact, that actually sounds to me *more* likely than that she flew from TX to AK while in labor rather than giving birth there.*

Not that I am putting any credence in this story, or that the gossip, if true, reflects on her badly overall.

* Caveat: all my knowledge about labor and childbirth comes from books and tv. Thank God.
Old 30 August 2008, 10:40 PM

In the words of John Stossel, "Give me a break!"
Old 30 August 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
let up enough for her to travel on Alaska Airlines back to Alaska in time to deliver her second son
I am surprised that the airline let her fly whilst in labour, in fact most airlines don't let you fly after 6 or 7 months

(not that I believe the OP)
Old 30 August 2008, 11:52 PM

I have to imagine if this were true it would be fairly easy to find out, especially for 'connected' people. I am also fairly certain there are some serious background checks done on potential running mates by presidential candidates. I would think they would have found this out early on in those checks.

That being said, I have to agree strongly with what Chloe was saying; if it is true, I don't see how it can be seen as a bad thing. I might even look at it as a plus for her as person.

ETA: Connected as in high-up government types, not in a mafia sense.
Old 30 August 2008, 11:54 PM
Catalyst

Does Mat-Su Regional Medical Center have a NICU? I have heard that it does not and there doesn't appear to be a listing for one under "services" on their website, but I don't know how to check further short of calling them up and I'm too lazy to do that right now.

If not, I am utterly shocked that she would be willing to have a month-premature baby with Down's Syndrome (and possibly the frequently-associated heart problems) in a hospital with no NICU. I would not think that a decision like that would speak well for her judgment. (That she first flew cross-country and then was induced tends to indicate that speed was not a factor, so it should have been possible to travel to a better-equipped hospital.)

Alaska Airlines apparently has no restrictions on flying during pregnancy, preferring to leave the decision to the incipient mother and her doctor.
Old 31 August 2008, 12:02 AM

Catalyst, my thoughts were along the same lines. I would never fly somewhere when I was in labor, particularly if I knew I was carrying a child with a disorder that could mean complications at birth. Add prematurity to that? Nope. I'll go wherever's closest that has a good NICU.
Old 31 August 2008, 12:11 AM

Catalyst and Auntiewitch, I get what you are both saying. I hadn't even considered that aspect of it. I don't know enough about premature, special needs births to have an opinion on that.

I am not sure it is fair (this is to people who would use this against her politcally, not to anyone in this thread) to extrapolate from a personal, reproductive type decision to how a candidate will perform in public office. That goes for all candidates, on either side of the aisle.
Old 31 August 2008, 12:33 AM
Catalyst

I'm just going on the medical practicality/advisability of those bits. If I really get going, there's the whole claiming it was the easiest birth of all of them. Apparently she was induced. Every woman I have ever talked to who had pitocin (the standard for induction) has described it at best as pure unadulterated evil in an IV. Usually there was a fair amount of profanity involved, even when they had adequate pain management.

And if she had pain management of that level, she must process drugs out of her system rather quickly to be back at work three days later.

And not showing much at eight months on her fifth pregnancy? Really? I truly envy her, then, as I've been given to understand that most women show earlier with each successive pregnancy.

I do hope that her daughter recovers from the mononucleosis soon; the extended cases can be horrible. I believe there were mentions in news articles that she's been out for four months or so now, poor dear. A new baby in the house can't be conducive to recovery. I do hope she's no longer contagious, as you don't want to expose a newborn to mono!

(To be honest I'm rather hoping that the baby is her daughter's, because the whole no NICU thing and not going to a hospital when she was leaking amniotic fluid makes me worry about her judgment. AFAIK no OB will say "oh, just get to a hospital when you can" upon hearing that a mother-to-be is leaking enough amniotic fluid to be identifiable as such a month before her due date; they're more likely to start lecturing about the risk of infection and order the mother to the nearest ER immediately... especially if the mother is older and carrying a high-risk pregnancy. If she is willing to take that level of risk with her own child, can she be trusted if her ticket gets elected and her boss has a heart attack from the excitement?)
Old 31 August 2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
That being said, I have to agree strongly with what Chloe was saying; if it is true, I don't see how it can be seen as a bad thing. I might even look at it as a plus for her as person.
I agree as well. But change "Sarah Palin" to "Hillary Clinton" and imagine what McCain/Palin supporters would have to say about it then. Now do you see why it can be seen as a bad thing?

Not that I believe there's any truth to the rumor or anything.
Old 31 August 2008, 01:02 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
To be honest I'm rather hoping that the baby is her daughter's, because the whole no NICU thing and not going to a hospital when she was leaking amniotic fluid makes me worry about her judgment. AFAIK no OB will say "oh, just get to a hospital when you can" upon hearing that a mother-to-be is leaking enough amniotic fluid to be identifiable as such a month before her due date; they're more likely to start lecturing about the risk of infection and order the mother to the nearest ER immediately... especially if the mother is older and carrying a high-risk pregnancy. If she is willing to take that level of risk with her own child, can she be trusted if her ticket gets elected and her boss has a heart attack from the excitement?)
She wouldn't be the first pro-life woman to engage in high-risk behavior in the hopes of losing an unwanted pregnancy.

Not that she did any such thing, of course. Hypothetical only.

Four Kitties
Old 31 August 2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
She wouldn't be the first pro-life woman to engage in high-risk behavior in the hopes of losing an unwanted pregnancy.

Not that she did any such thing, of course. Hypothetical only.

Four Kitties
(bolding mine)

Hi Four Kitties,

I really, really don't mean any snark by this, and I am not even doubting this idea is out of the realm of the possible, but do you have a cite for this kind of behavior? Like studies, or first hand testimonies, or anything? Or is this your opinion on what probably happens?
Old 31 August 2008, 01:24 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
I really, really don't mean any snark by this, and I am not even doubting this idea is out of the realm of the possible, but do you have a cite for this kind of behavior? Like studies, or first hand testimonies, or anything? Or is this your opinion on what probably happens?
I don't have any cite or any studies. I personally know more than one woman who claims to be pro-life who has engaged in risky behavior during pregnancy, knowing that it may well (and in some cases did indeed) lead to miscarriage.

Four Kitties
Old 31 August 2008, 01:28 AM

Well, when abortion is illegal, women, among other things, scald themselves with hot baths, drink lots of gin, and throw themselves downstairs in the hope of dislodging fetuses. Since we know today that women who self-identify as pro-life sometimes have abortions (http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html for some examples, although not my source) I'm fairly sure we can assert that some of those women taking the high-risk way out were also pro-life.
Old 31 August 2008, 01:47 AM

I'd say it's unlikely to be her daughter's child due to the baby having Down's Syndrome. What would be the likelihood of a 17 year old having a Downs baby? Whatever the statistics, I know the odds of it are far greater for a 44 year old.