snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 07 February 2008, 03:13 AM
Sweeney_Todd

I can't rememerb exactly what it was for flood insurance. However, what brought the premiums up further than regular rates was the fact our house was on the 100 year flood plain. It was not a hellish amount of money, maybe $25 more monthly than if we were not on the flood plain (it was 20 years ago, I can't rememebr the precise amount). But, I can understand why some people would opt out. But, if I chose to live on a flood plain and opted out of the extra for insurance, then I have no one to blame but myself.

We did get some silicone caulk and caulked up the basement door during a particularly bad storm and the creek was rising fast and the back yard was 1/2 under water. The water go to about 10-12 feet from the back door before it receeded.
Old 26 February 2008, 09:18 PM

I really think we should look beyond this whole "do these people deserve help" thing and look at the broader picture. What is the alternative to helping to get them back in their homes? Solving the problem of poverty is not going to be as simple as "give them money" or "don't give them money". I can accept that some people take advantage of the system, but that's everywhere, and every system. But for every one antecdote we can spew about someone taking advantage of the system, there are about 10 that don't. And what we all have to ask ourselves is if we are willing to let those 10 suffer for the one that exploits the system. I'm not. I don't lose sleep at night worrying that someone, somewhere, is not pulling hir weight. I do lie in bed at night and worry about those that can't seem to catch a damn break, and who work twice as hard as I ever will to live in poverty.

But that's just me.