snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 10 January 2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBCal View Post
However, if I were to live in New Orleans I wouldn't have purchased in a neighborhood subject to flooding. The French Quarter didn't flood since its on higher ground. It was built before there were levees.
The Corps of Engineers is builder and maintainer of the levee system. Also, many neighborhoods were zoned to be out of flood zone presicely because of the existence of levees and pumps. These both work and hold, you see quite less damage. But they both failed and you have what we saw.

ETA: Meant to add this to my other post: Quick overview of New Orleans' history
Old 10 January 2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I would have thought you listened to the blues more than that, Ryda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_M..._Flood_of_1927
246 dead in that, compared to 1,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Here's another hurricane, much worse:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_Hurricane
Ah. That certainly resulted in massive loss of life, far more than Katrina.
Old 10 January 2008, 08:33 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
The Corps of Engineers is builder and maintainer of the levee system. Also, many neighborhoods were zoned to be out of flood zone presicely because of the existence of levees and pumps. These both work and hold, you see quite less damage. But they both failed and you have what we saw.

ETA: Meant to add this to my other post: Quick overview of New Orleans' history
I feel it should be mandatory in flood plains to build houses on stilts.

Not really anything to do with your post, but the huge flooding in Chehalis this year reminded me of it.
Old 10 January 2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
I feel it should be mandatory in flood plains to build houses on stilts.
It is mandatory in a way. Houses must be built "out" of the floodplain. In most cases, this means that if you build in a flood plain, you build your house on stilts. In the case of New Orleans, it was more cost effective to build "normal" houses and a levee and pump system. Well, that was the theory anyway.
Old 10 January 2008, 08:47 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
It is mandatory in a way. Houses must be built "out" of the floodplain. In most cases, this means that if you build in a flood plain, you build your house on stilts. In the case of New Orleans, it was more cost effective to build "normal" houses and a levee and pump system. Well, that was the theory anyway.
Well, it was good in theory.

It just occurred to me when I was looking at the plans for the houses Brad Pitt plans to build in New Orleans for the residents that all of them were raised in some way, but it was completely unobtrusive. (That's not be best link, there are like 10 house plans but I can't find photos of them all quickly.) I don't know why more people don't have raised homes, just in general. They'll also be useful for when the zombies come, you know.
Old 10 January 2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know why more people don't have raised homes, just in general. They'll also be useful for when the zombies come, you know.
I don't know either. Stilt homes were more common when I was a kid.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:21 PM
Elsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBCal View Post
I'd sue the builder since he skimped on construction. I guess the government is the builder of the levee so perhaps the suits might have some merit.
If the local municipality has design requirements specifying conformance to some type of building code, then that municipality is also responsible to ensure that construction meets those codes. Therefore, the municipality would also be at fault for lack of enforcement.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:32 PM

You can find stilt homes along the Texas coast...er at least around Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula. The family beach house is a stilt home.

There's even a school in that area that is built on stilts. Oddly, the stores aren't built on stilts. Well, maybe it's not that odd. I'd imagine that getting inventory into the store would be a pain if it were built on stilts.

It always feels comforting when I'm driving along and start seeing the stilt homes. I don't know why. Maybe it's because it's a sign that the long drive is almost over.

LF
Old 10 January 2008, 09:36 PM

Ponder

If you (successfully) sue the federal government and they don't pay up, whom do you get to enforce the order?

- snopes
Old 10 January 2008, 09:40 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
If you (successfully) sue the federal government and they don't pay up, whom do you get to enforce the order?

- snopes
Blackwater?
Old 11 January 2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Well, it was good in theory.

It just occurred to me when I was looking at the plans for the houses Brad Pitt plans to build in New Orleans for the residents that all of them were raised in some way, but it was completely unobtrusive. (That's not be best link, there are like 10 house plans but I can't find photos of them all quickly.) I don't know why more people don't have raised homes, just in general. They'll also be useful for when the zombies come, you know.
They're supposed to be "low-income" but then they're $150k homes. Is that actually considered "low-income" in NO?
Old 11 January 2008, 02:06 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by woohmom View Post
They're supposed to be "low-income" but then they're $150k homes. Is that actually considered "low-income" in NO?
I don't know about NO, but they certainly would be here!

Perhaps they're being built at $150,000 but would then be sold to former residents for less? Or just with very good financing or something. If I could get one of those houses for $150,000 in Seattle I'd jump at the chance.
Old 11 January 2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacFields View Post
Of course, demanding $3 quadrillion is absolutely absurd...
Psssh, absurd? $3 quadrillion is only like 50 times the entire world's GDP.

With interest, all of our children's, children's, children will only have to work 161 hour weeks for their entire lives to pay it off.

Absurd would be $3 octillion.

Last edited by Dreams of Thinking Machines; 11 January 2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: To add the bit at the end
Old 11 January 2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohmom View Post
I don't know about NO, but they certainly would be here!
We would call those "affordable" here.

At that price, a borrower will have a monthly mortgage of around $1000, plus taxes and insurance. This mortgage calculator suggests that that price home is affordable to people with an annual household income of $36000-48000.

The average household income in the Lower Ninth Ward in 2000 was under $28000, and more than half of the households earned less than $20000.

I found these definitions of "affordable" and "low income" housing.

Quote:
What is affordable housing?
"Affordable housing" is a broad term used to describe decent, safe housing which is affordable for individuals who, generally, earn less than 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI).

What is the difference between very-low income, low-income and moderate income?
The meaning of these terms can vary from program to program and institution to institution but generally, very-low income persons refers to persons at or below 30% of the Area Median Income (AMI), low-income persons refers to persons at or below 50% of the AMI, and moderate income persons refers to persons at or below 80% of the AMI.
Old 26 February 2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
This was entirely preventable with our current technology, but no one really cared until too late, in my opinion.
Agreed. And many still don't care. Just listen to Limbaugh.