snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 27 October 2007, 07:21 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Given that the last election dealt with such pressing issues like whether John Kerry is too French...
Don't be silly; the question was whether or not he *looked* too French.
Old 27 October 2007, 07:37 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Don't be silly; the question was whether or not he *looked* too French.
Actually, the question was whether the company started by his wife's relatives made French's mustard.

- snopes
Old 27 October 2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I have to admit, sometimes I don't put my hand on my heart, it just seems like some hokey thing reserved for elementary school kids.
Same here. I think adults look silly doing the Pledge of Allegiance as well.
Old 27 October 2007, 09:35 PM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Given that the last election dealt with such pressing issues like whether John Kerry is too French...
Ah in the Uk we don't have that problem we know any amount of French is too much.
Old 28 October 2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
Please excuse a question from a naive American, but are you expected to stand and/or salute in your own home?
I remember that my grandma used to make me stand up when we watched a baseball game on TV and they played the national anthem at the beginning of the game. But that was Gramma's law, not the law of the land!
Old 28 October 2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
I can't think of anything less likely to influence my vote than trivial crap like this, especially when people blow it so out of proportion.
Some people tend to confuse the ritual with the meaning which the ritual is a symbol for, thus thinking that the ritual is all there is. Such people should be ignored.
Old 28 October 2007, 12:47 PM

Actually, what I want to know about the picture in the OP is, what exactly is supporting that flag??
Old 28 October 2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Actually, what I want to know about the picture in the OP is, what exactly is supporting that flag??
Not Obama apparently.

Come to think of it, the potted geranium in the foreground isn't giving the flag its proper respect either. You should toss it's sorry unpatriotic a$$ back to China or wherever it came
from.

Just behind Obama's left buttock, at about the level of his watch you can see a support pole angled towards the ground behind the podium, and attached to the rear of the flag somewhere in the region of the bottom line of stars. I guess there's one each side and a series of rigid struts on the edges of the flag do the rest.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 28 October 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 30 October 2007, 03:52 AM

United States

Hmmm. Well, irrespective of the US Flag Code, what I was always taught was that you put your hand over your heart for the Pledge of Allegiance; for the National Anthem, you stand up and (if you're male) remove your hat. This is what I do at ball games, and I've never noticed anyone giving me a dirty look.

I'm guessing this wouldn't be an issue, if we hadn't already had the controversy about Obama not wearing a US flag pin, which he did admit was a kind of statement: that real patriotism consists of doing what's right for the country, not just waving a symbol around. So now the same folks wonder if his not putting his hand over his heart was also a statement. Personally, I doubt it.
Old 30 October 2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetbon View Post
I remember that my grandma used to make me stand up when we watched a baseball game on TV and they played the national anthem at the beginning of the game. But that was Gramma's law, not the law of the land!
Gah, what a pain that would be. I would refuse to do it for no other reason than to spite her.
Old 30 October 2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Can I confess that when they used to play the National Anthem at the end of the TV in the evening, I never got up and saluted the image of the Queen?
*shocked* Treason!
Old 30 October 2007, 09:03 AM

I want to know what the other bloke's spotted. Everyone else is looking to their right but he's seen something far more interesting.
Old 30 October 2007, 09:12 AM

I think it's the positioning of the flag, but that picture really offends my sense of perspective. It looks like one of those optical illusions.
Old 30 October 2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I think it's the positioning of the flag, but that picture really offends my sense of perspective. It looks like one of those optical illusions.
Yes, it looks very much like the Ames Room illusion.
Old 30 October 2007, 09:30 AM

Suggested reading: The Anthem Sprinters by Ray Bradbury. If you haven't read it the story, which is set in Dublin, is about competing to get out of the cinema after the credits and before the national anthem starts and you have to stand in attention.
Old 30 October 2007, 10:57 AM

United Kingdom

All I wanted to say was that jeans and a blazer do not go together. Obama is definitely the better dressed of the two chaps, which seems a good a reason to vote/not vote for him as the OP.
Old 30 October 2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Suggested reading: The Anthem Sprinters by Ray Bradbury. If you haven't read it the story, which is set in Dublin, is about competing to get out of the cinema after the credits and before the national anthem starts and you have to stand in attention.
There's also the Dad's Army episode A Soldier's Farewell where everyone rushes out of the pictures to go to the pub, leaving Captain Mainwaring to stand to attention alone.
Old 30 October 2007, 02:16 PM

Frying Pan

Looking at the picture in the OP, I'm disappointed that all present haven't become totally overcome by the situation and started crying. How patriotic do they think they are?
Old 30 October 2007, 02:23 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Can I confess that when they used to play the National Anthem at the end of the TV in the evening, I never got up and saluted the image of the Queen?
I did once, in 1980 I think - the National Anthem came on and I jumped up and said "The National Anthem! We all have to stand to attention!", and my mum started crying and told me that my grampa (who had just died) would have been proud of me. I didn't like to tell her that I'd been taking the piss...
Old 30 October 2007, 03:43 PM

Up here in Montana, the red necks make a big deal of the fact that Native Americans will stand for the National Anthem at ball games but most do not put their hand over thier heart. Like they have some kind of grudge against the country or something.