snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 17 September 2007, 03:52 PM

Blow Your Top Many Road Home recipients may have to pay a bunch in taxes

Many Road Home recipients may have to pay a bunch in taxes

Quote:
While the Road Home program has paid out more than 50,000 grant to help hurricane-affected homeowners, many recipients may have to pay back as income tax as much as 35 percent of their grants
Quote:
if Social Security recipients claimed sizable casualty losses and then got large Road Home grants, they may go from not having to file a federal tax return to having to pay taxes on all their income, including their grant and pension.
Old 18 September 2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
For example, accountant Jerry Schreiber said that if Social Security recipients claimed sizable casualty losses and then got large Road Home grants, they may go from not having to file a federal tax return to having to pay taxes on all their income, including their grant and pension.
If they didn't have to file because their income was below the exemption/standard deduction they wouldn't have claimed the loss on their taxes because they had no tax to reduce. The people who claimed the loss likely had sufficient income to offset the loss when they claimed it.
Old 18 September 2007, 02:01 AM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post
If they didn't have to file because their income was below the exemption/standard deduction they wouldn't have claimed the loss on their taxes. The people who claimed the loss likely had sufficient income to offset the loss when they claimed it.
I think the "casualty loss" claimed was on insurance policies, not income tax returns.

Four Kitties
Old 18 September 2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
I think the "casualty loss" claimed was on insurance policies, not income tax returns.
I don't think so. The article is discussing taxes and the comments are by an accountant. "Casualty loss" is tax talk, an IRS term, and they are taken on Sch A, Sch D or Form 4684. See Pub 547 or Pub 584.
Old 18 September 2007, 02:38 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

I'll take your word for it -- I pay a professional for that sort of thing for precisely this reason!

Four Kitties