snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 26 August 2007, 07:57 PM

....where they would have to find affordable housing and money for first and last month's rent, furnishings, a means of transportation to and from work if the area doesn't have public transportation, the resourses to replace what possessions they do have but which didn't fit on a bus.....

Relocating is not a cheap option.
Old 26 August 2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara@home View Post
And this is a company who sends people into other people's homes? No application necessary? No checks of any sort?

Remind me never hire that company.
Merry Maids' website says: "Before potential applicants ever wear the Merry Maids name, potential applicants are carefully screened to ensure your cleaning team is truly dedicated to providing you with a job well done."

Unless this means "we talk to potential applicants' husbands on the phone before we offer them a job," someone is fibbing.
Old 26 August 2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Merry Maids' website says: "Before potential applicants ever wear the Merry Maids name, potential applicants are carefully screened to ensure your cleaning team is truly dedicated to providing you with a job well done."

Unless this means "we talk to potential applicants' husbands on the phone before we offer them a job," someone is fibbing.
From the Memphis site for Merry Maids it states:

Quote:
We send professionally trained, screened and bonded professionals to your home, so you can trust that your home is safe and secure.
Hmmm....
Old 26 August 2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA: Did you have me mixed up with Christie?
Why... yes, I do. Hunh. Sorry.
Old 26 August 2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post

... I can't feel sympathy for an employer who claims s/he can't find enough help, but whines about how lazy people are rather than offering a living wage to encourage more applicants.
I SO second, third, and fourth that sentiment.

I notice that despite the recurrent tragedies that happen to coal miners, they still get people (legal residents, no less) to fill those horrible dangerous dirty jobs - googling around for coal miner's salary gives results from 40,000 a year to upwards of 55,000. And that's with no college education. That's enough money on which to modestly raise a family, that is in those parts of the country, where you don't have to pay 700,000 for a three bedroom house. It ain't a lot of money, especially for as dangerous as those jobs are, but it's better than 20,000 a year as a clerk somewhere so they get filled.

I am so fed up with hearing about the laziness of American workers. I don't buy it. There are lazy individuals of course, but American laborers will, and do, take hard, dangerous, monotonous, dirty, unpleasant work, IF it will pay enough to provide a living for themselves and their family. Many even do it when it doesn't.

Wanting to make enough money to feed one's family isn't lazy. It's rational and reasonable.
Old 26 August 2007, 10:37 PM

In all fairness, the McDonald's guy said
Quote:
"I don't know what the answer is," Francis said. "There's just nobody around that wants to work."
He didn't say people are lazy, he said there is no one who wants to work. The unemployment rate is 2%. Pretty much everyone who wants a job has one.

Last edited by Sara@home; 26 August 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 27 August 2007, 09:10 PM
Griffin2020

Tomorrow night KERA (Dallas PBS) is braodcasting a show called Still Waiting: Life After Katrina Link

I am interested to see what it shows.

The quotes from the trailer sum up the attitude that I have seen on the Gulf Coast.
Quote:
. . . it angers me to see nothing gettin' done here. . .
Quote:
. . . when will things move forward?
Quote:
. . . waitin' for the house, waitin' for the church, patience runnin' thin. . .
I would like to see if that last one has mor context to it.
Old 03 September 2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Merry Maids told me that if she showed up, she had the job... no application necessary.
So a company that sends people into other people's homes and businesses does no screening of any kind regarding drug use, past convictions, ability to perform a job, etc? Wow.. Thats horrifying, please give me the name of the person you spoke to, or at least the number you used, if thats true its almost enough to warrent a call to the local paper.

-MB
Old 05 September 2007, 04:28 AM

Don't trust Merry Maids -- at least not the one headquartered in Dundalk, Md. I know some of there employees personally, am godmother to one of them, and there is no way I would allow these people into my house un-attended. Non of these particular woman finished high school although one of them is thinking about trying to get her GED. Non of them are over the age of 20.
What they do is they will hire just about anyone who shows up and applies, and send them out for "training" with one or two experienced employees. If they don't get caught stealing or molesting the houseplants, then they will hire them for real. The only requirement for bonding them was that they had not been convicted of a felony, and they had a payroll deduction to pay for their bond. All that Bonded seems to mean is that Merry Maids has insurance to cover their butts when the employees are caught stealing your silver.

Waitressing ain't easy, but I know people in their late 60's who are still waitressing. If you ain't lazy and can smile at morons who you feel like pouring coffee on, then you can make big bucks. (I'd last 5 minutes or less as a waitress, because I have a bad attitude). I know several woman who raised their families on tips and the sub minimum wage that waitresses get in this state. And even now that I am in my 50's I still get waited on by lots of women who are older than me. Physically it's not harder than cashiering, or even being a file clerk.
Old 05 September 2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judecat View Post
Don't trust Merry Maids -- at least not the one headquartered in Dundalk, Md. I know some of there employees personally, am godmother to one of them, and there is no way I would allow these people into my house un-attended. Non of these particular woman finished high school although one of them is thinking about trying to get her GED. Non of them are over the age of 20.
What they do is they will hire just about anyone who shows up and applies, and send them out for "training" with one or two experienced employees. If they don't get caught stealing or molesting the houseplants, then they will hire them for real. The only requirement for bonding them was that they had not been convicted of a felony, and they had a payroll deduction to pay for their bond. All that Bonded seems to mean is that Merry Maids has insurance to cover their butts when the employees are caught stealing your silver.
So all Merry Maids employees are nascent theives? Seems a little broad-brushed to me.

Quote:
Waitressing ain't easy, [snip for brevity]. Physically it's not harder than cashiering, or even being a file clerk.
Waitressing absolutely is physically harder than cashiering or being a file clerk. While cashiers are on their feet as much as wait staff, cashiers do not have to lift trays weighing greater than 10 pounds with any sort of frequency. File clerking is a sit-down job.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judecat View Post
Waitressing ain't easy, but I know people in their late 60's who are still waitressing. If you ain't lazy and can smile at morons who you feel like pouring coffee on, then you can make big bucks. (I'd last 5 minutes or less as a waitress, because I have a bad attitude). I know several woman who raised their families on tips and the sub minimum wage that waitresses get in this state. And even now that I am in my 50's I still get waited on by lots of women who are older than me. Physically it's not harder than cashiering, or even being a file clerk.
Doesn't it bother you though? I know it does me. I've been in restaurants where quite elderly women are struggling with trays etc and I think "thank god my mom doesn't have to do that" not "hey mom should haul her lazy ass down here and pick up some extra cash".
Old 05 September 2007, 05:38 PM

I've never worked as a waitress but I can tell just from observation that it's a damn physical job.
Old 07 September 2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
So a company that sends people into other people's homes and businesses does no screening of any kind regarding drug use, past convictions, ability to perform a job, etc? Wow.. Thats horrifying, please give me the name of the person you spoke to, or at least the number you used, if thats true its almost enough to warrent a call to the local paper.
And they might even want her for management!
Old 07 September 2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
So all Merry Maids employees are nascent theives? Seems a little broad-brushed to me.
I read it as that particular Merry Maids doesn't screen employees as well as one might expect.