snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 07 August 2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Or if you have a car but can't afford gas, at $2.50-$3.00/gallon, for a cross-country drive. Or if your car is old and unreliable and you can't afford to get stuck on the road.
How much for a Greyhound ticket to "anywhere but here"?
Old 08 August 2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Why would anywhere else be any better?

I was unemployed for a good few months at the start of last year. I applied for everything in sight. But jobs in my field are fairly uncommon, and I kept hearing that I was 'overqualified' even for temp jobs.

I'm still paying off the debt I ran up.

As an aside; overqualified for temp jobs? They couldn't be afraid I was going to up and leave them in the lurch on a week-long contract, surely? Is 'you're overqualified' just shorthand for 'I don't want to employ someone who's cleverer than me' and if so, why didn't I just call 'em on it...
Old 08 August 2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Possibly more than you can afford if you're struggling to pay for necessities. And what are they supposed to do when they get there?
Old 10 August 2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Possibly more than you can afford if you're struggling to pay for necessities. And what are they supposed to do when they get there?
There is always an alternative.
Old 10 August 2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Normally pretty damned expensive. I've looked into travelling by bus over a long distance before and it's actually quite ridiculous. You could almost get a plane ticket for the same price. In fact, if South West is having a discount, you probably could get one for less. 5 years ago it cost 40 dollars to go one way from Staunton, VA to Washington DC (about 175 miles) and I do distinctly recall gas being much cheaper then. Good luck paying for a ticket back to New Orleans...
Old 10 August 2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Really? Sometimes I don't think there is. But then I've never been in a situation where I have no money, no money at all (pretty scary concept actually), no family, no home, no skills, no education so maybe I'm wrong.
Old 10 August 2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Please, elucidate. What's the alternative for the person who can't afford the Greyhound ticket? What's the alternative if they buy the Greyhound ticket and find that the job market is no better (and maybe worse) in the new place?
Old 10 August 2007, 04:18 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Please, elucidate. What's the alternative for the person who can't afford the Greyhound ticket? What's the alternative if they buy the Greyhound ticket and find that the job market is no better (and maybe worse) in the new place?
They walk down the street and find a guy with a Mason's ring on.

Duh.
Old 10 August 2007, 04:24 PM

Waitressing, Malruhn? Have you ever done this job? I have. and it was the most physically demanding job I've ever done, and that includes potato-picking. I was a teenager at the time; I'm trying to imagine the same demands on a 53 year old body.
Old 13 August 2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Waitressing, Malruhn? Have you ever done this job? I have. and it was the most physically demanding job I've ever done, and that includes potato-picking. I was a teenager at the time; I'm trying to imagine the same demands on a 53 year old body.
Well to be fair I've seen alot of waitstaff who were probably in their mid fifties if not much older.. So it can be done (though I imagine it depends on the restourant)..

However when you have a whole bunch of people moved into an area and all of them are looking for jobs (and many for low skill jobs) then the positions are gonna fill up fast. Sure, right now in most towns there are probably a fair amount of "low level" jobs around (cashier, waiter, etc) but if a few hundred people moved in all looking for those sorts of jobs then.. Well.. You'd better hope your one of the first or you have some skill that makes you better.

-MB
Old 13 August 2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Well to be fair I've seen alot of waitstaff who were probably in their mid fifties if not much older.. So it can be done (though I imagine it depends on the restourant)..
And also on the fitness level. In Nickel and Dimed,* Barbara Ehrenreich talks about her concerns about waitressing and her age, but ends up doing it anyway. Though she considers herself fit for her age (gym memberships etc. from her upper-middle class life), she still ends up spending lots more than she can afford on pain-killers for her back and joints (and is without medical benefits of any sort).

*Thanks, bthyb!
Old 13 August 2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Saying it doesn't make it true. I wish it did. Then I could say, "I have enough money to pay off my debts and start a foundation to support women and puppies," and it could come true. But it doesn't
Old 14 August 2007, 03:27 AM

If you are not willing to make the sacrifices, then nothing is an alternative.

Yes, they got slammed by a big storm. Yes, they were given money by the federal government. Yes, in many cases, the recipients of the money were too uneducated, untrained or unwilling to use it to better their lives in a meaninful sense. Yes, this woman is in bad straits right now.

There are alternatives.

It costs NOTHING to walk away from your life, leaving all your STUFF to rot in a dumpster (thrown there by someone else), or to sell as much as possible and leave the rest. It costs very little to hitch-hike to the next city - or even the next state or four. There, you have exactly what you had when you left - nothing.

But if you look at the location, by gum, there just might be a McDonalds that will hire... even if you are living on the street or in a shelter. And before I am corrected on that one, yes, there are some that do.

I have had several friends - and even I did it once - that did the above migration. Yes, it sucked to leave momentos behind, but something had to be done. Either I moved as cheaply as possibly, or I didn't eat.

And Chloe, yes, I was a waiter for several years. Yes, it is hard work. The payoffs are huge if you are willing to hustle and can muster up some semblance of personality. You must live in a special part of the country, because I have seen 50 and 60+ wait-staff in every part of the country that I have visited.

I still can't seem to muster any sense of sympathy for the folks in the OP. They must be living in the only place in the country - dare I say world - that has 100% of employment availability filled. Even when I was hitting my late teens, with unemployment in the 25%+ range in northern Wisconsin, I was able to find work as a stable hand (with no experience), a bell hop (with no experience), a waiter (with no experience), and even as a short-order fry-cook (with personal Friday-night dinner-cooking experience). Why couldn't anyone else find jobs? They didn't wanna do THAT!!

I smell much the same with this woman.
Old 14 August 2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
And this is still making the assumption that someone will get that job. I have a feeling that the people doing the most shouting about "take a job, any job" haven't been looking for low level jobs recently. Or do they genuinely believe that there are 10 jobs for every applicant and employers are lining up to hire 53 yr olds?

Tell you what Malruhn et al wait until you're 53 get dislocated from your permanent place of residence, have no money, no real skills, no references and are trying to find a job, any job and then write in here about how quickly you were able to get something.
Old 14 August 2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
Why couldn't anyone else find jobs? They didn't wanna do THAT!!

I smell much the same with this woman.
She's applying for jobs as a housekeeper in a hotel/motel. What jobs do you suppose she's rejecting as being beneath her?
Old 14 August 2007, 12:32 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
But if you look at the location, by gum, there just might be a McDonalds that will hire... even if you are living on the street or in a shelter. And before I am corrected on that one, yes, there are some that do.
I suspect that is changing, though, Malruhn. When I started at Taco Bell in '87, they took people without high school diplomas/GEDs, and you could even move into management without them.. When I left in '96 this was no longer true; management had to have at least a high school dipploma/GED and they weren't happy about your hiring adults who had neither (I don't remember if they would let you hire or not).

They also had a test all prospective employees had to take and if they failed it (it was one of those stupid personality assessment type tests), and you couldn't know if they failed it until you entered their results into the computer, you could not hire them.

I suspect McDonald's has gone the same way.

You worked at fast food; you should know that this idea that "fast food will hire anyone" idea people always drag out is a fallacy.
Old 14 August 2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
And Chloe, yes, I was a waiter for several years.
When you were 53?

Quote:
Yes, it is hard work. The payoffs are huge if you are willing to hustle and can muster up some semblance of personality.
Yes, that was Barbara Ehrenreich's problem. No personality.

Quote:
You must live in a special part of the country, because I have seen 50 and 60+ wait-staff in every part of the country that I have visited.
Perhaps you will show me where I said that people over a certain age were not allowed to be waitstaff.

Quote:
I still can't seem to muster any sense of sympathy for the folks in the OP.
Color me stunned.
Old 15 August 2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBunny View Post
Why would anywhere else be any better?
Perhaps not. But, depending on one's circumstances, it might not necessarily be worse.
Old 15 August 2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Saying it doesn't make it true.
It might be a very unpleasant alternative, one that one doesn't want to take, but it is still there.
Old 15 August 2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
It might be a very unpleasant alternative, one that one doesn't want to take, but it is still there.
Well, yeah. You can kill yourself or sell your organs on the black market, but, when it comes down to brass tacks, that isn't an alternative in any meaningful way.