snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 01 July 2007, 04:46 AM

Icon24 Is Bottled Water Just a Waste?

Walk into any grocery store in the country and they rise up like the eighth wonder of the world -- bottles upon bottles of water, all begging to be bought.

But when the free water coming out of most American taps is perfectly drinkable, some wonder why people are paying for water bottled in places as far off as Fiji.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Business/story?id=3323614
Old 01 July 2007, 05:50 AM
Lady Neeva

Because some tap water is just plain disgusting. Honestly it is. Last place I lived, you had a better than 50% chance of getting a cool refreshing glass of cockroach. I think the record was 5 roaches in a single glass once.

Or theres an area just south-east of me that has a water treatment tank that's gone bad. They're cleaning it now, but until it IS clean the entire area smells like rotten eggs and/or decomposing bodies (depending which news station you watch lol). I can only imagine what the tap water tastes like there, because water picks up funky smells/tastes from the air REALLY easily.

Then there are the mild annoyances... some people hate hard water for example. I hate soft water. I won't buy water if I'm stuck somewhere with soft water (I'll just make kool-aid out of it lol), but in the cockroach apartment... yeah I'd buy water from time to time.
Old 01 July 2007, 06:03 AM

I am spoiled on distilled water. I won't drink water with any kind of smell to it, ick. I don't even like bottled "spring" water (like a spring in the middle of the parking lot). Now I also like the water that is treated by reverse osmosis and ultraviolet light, I can't tell it from distilled. We have a water distiller we use. I don't drink a lot of bottled water but I re-fill water bottles with home distilled, so every once in a while I'll pick up a bottle of Aquafina or Ice Mountain mostly for the size bottle I like.
Old 01 July 2007, 08:36 PM

Our tap water is disgusting to bottled water is a must. I would rather buy water than have my kids drink soda because the tap water was nasty.
Old 01 July 2007, 10:29 PM

I love our tap water, but when at work, it's city water and tastes nasty, so bottled water it is.

The only bottled water that tastes half-way decent to me is Dasani, though. Any of the others have nasty under-tones.

Morrigan
Old 01 July 2007, 10:50 PM
Pseudo_Croat

Bottled water has its purposes - when you're travelling to a foreign land (or even a nearby city with not-so-tasty tap water - I, for one, personally can't stand the water in Orlando), for natural disasters, or during sporting events. However, any other time, it's good ol' tap for me.

- Pseudo (my city's water is some of the sweetest around) Croat
Old 01 July 2007, 11:14 PM

I recently read on CBC - in an article about global warming - that there are more trucks transporting bottled water in Europe, than any other commodity. While the "portability" of botteld water is a valid point, drinking it while at home is not practical, from an overall comparison of how well resources are used. People vote with their pocketbooks, and would rather spend money on bottled water rather than on taxes which improve public water systems.

And let's face it, most people in Europe are urban and on some kind of public water system. It's no excuse to say that it's well water and that the expense of purifying it is not worth it, as the well water is fine for washing, irrigation, etc.
Old 02 July 2007, 03:41 AM

Our well water is wonderful (except sometimes in the spring it gets an off smell). However, the water from the buildings in the ballpark next door, and from what I understand, most the houses along our creek, is nasty, rust filled, and tastes bad. I won't touch the stuff at the ballpark buildings, even to make coffee. We occasionally get bottled when traveling, and keep the bottle to refill at home.
Old 02 July 2007, 03:44 AM

I don't like the taste of our tap water, but when I was visit a friend in Indiana it made me appreciate ours. Their tap water smelled like rotten eggs (sulfur I guess.) I didn't even want to wash my hands in it, let alone drink it! Luckily they had a water cooler.
I use bottled water when I travel because I've gotten sick from water on vacation at times-- and I'm just talking about neighboring states, not another country. I also use it for my dogs when I travel because dogs can be sensitive about water changes and get stomach problems as well.
Old 02 July 2007, 04:29 AM

Every glass of water I drink is either filtered through a Brita device (home), through the filterer at work, or bottled. I even find that different waters have slightly different tastes. Evian, for instance, tastes a little bit thicker and maybe even a little milk-y, whereas Arrowhead is pretty thin and just a little on the bitter side. The tap where I live is nasty, and it's my experience that in order to experience good water from the tap, too many things have to break the right way: it has to come from a good source, the pipes from the source to the local water tower have to be clean, the pipes from there to your residence have to be clean as well, and finally so do the pipes in your own house. It's too much of a crapshoot for me, although if you can experience quality tap water in your own house, more power to you.
Old 02 July 2007, 05:28 AM

I'll see your fancy imported water and raise you hand bottled tap water. Yes I have emtied out a bottle of "store-bought" water, because I wanted the tap water from my grandmother's sink. I wanted it to make sweet iced tea with, since sweet iced tea using my tap water doesn't taste the same.

I'll drink tap water if I just need a sip or I'm taking medicine. Mostly I drink bottled water because I can put the top back on and don't have to worry about spilling my drink.
Old 02 July 2007, 05:47 AM

I don't have a problem w the tap water here, in fact it's very good. I used to have a problem with paying good money for bottled water so I'd pick something else instead if I was thirsty when out and about. Then I stopped to think that if water was what I really wanted, why pay for something else that was what I really didn't want or unhealthy like soda? I will buy the biggest container of bottled water to get my best money's worth. My first choice is to fill bottles of water at home and chill them to carry along on my daily rounds. But if I forget or run out, I will gladly pay for a nice cold bottle of water. I think it does have a purer taste than the tap and I try not to mix the two when I am refilling bottles.

I do try to clean my water bottles well so I tend to reuse bottle that have a wider mouth such as gatorade bottles from my boyfriend. A friend of mine who had pneumonia also got a psuedomonas infection. Her doctor told her she could have gotten it from her old water bottles.
Old 02 July 2007, 06:08 AM
We'veBeenHad

Heh, try water from the tap when you live on the Raritan River (I don't live there anymore.) It tastes like stinky river (you could smell it on your hair and body after a shower, too.) Tap here tastes like snow when it's cold, and sometimes comes out brown (not the pipes; the whole neighborhood in our last place would get it at the same time) and has a distinct and unpleasant odor. I'm sure it's "safe" but who wants it?

On the other hand, all the tap water I've had in NYC tastes very sweet, even better than bottled.
Old 02 July 2007, 01:51 PM

We have well water, and even though it's tested every six months, I don't really trust that it's safe because the levels of lead are at "acceptable" levels. Also, it's very hard water. We used to go through coffee makers before we started filtering years ago, and we have to frequently run Lime-Away through our taps, toilet, and washing machine.

We have an eight-month-old, and I'm breastfeeding, so now, and while I was pregnant, I paid money for the double reverse osmosis or whatever filtered tap water from Kroger for drinking, that cost 37 cents a gallon. My husband just runs our tap water through a Brita filter, and drinks that. However, for the water our son needs to mix his cereal and dilute his juice, we buy the dollar a gallon nursery water that has flouride in it, because no matter how well we filter our water, we can't add flouride to it. I recently read an article that said that cavities in small children are on the rise in the US, and it's speculated that this may be a result of parents giving kids bottled water instead of flouridated tap water. So the little guy will have the bottled water until his permanent teeth come in, or until we move to a place with city water.

Yes, I know the super-filtered water from the store is tap water, but from what I understand, the filtration process removes most of the flouride.
Old 02 July 2007, 02:02 PM

When I buy bottled water, it's usually a portability issue.

But I agree, some tap water, although technically safe for drinking, just smells, looks, or tastes unpleasant.
Old 02 July 2007, 02:05 PM

Most tap water in Indiana tastes as if it was run through a limestone quarry. Our house water is run through a water softener, which takes most of the edge off, but even "generic" bottled water still tastes better. When I lived in areas in which the tap water tasted fine, I drank mostly tap water.

Nick
Old 02 July 2007, 02:09 PM

Toronto just placed 3rd in North America in a tap water taste test - so lucky us!

(I don't drink much plain water, though, so to me it's a moot point)
Old 02 July 2007, 02:12 PM

Our tapwater sucks. It's safe to drink, sure, but it tastes nasty. We use an Aquasana filter for drinking water. The filters are a little pricey ($60 every 6 months or so), but our water is so evil that the more commonly available filters just don't do the job.
Old 02 July 2007, 02:17 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

When I was in HS, I lived in Amarillo, TX. It got its name from the local river which ran yellow due to sulfur beds in the area. Sulfur adds a "wonder" flavor to water.

At home, I drink Brita filtered tap water, but when I go on the road, it is a lot easier to drink bottled water than to find "safe" tap water.

When I go biking and such, it is a lot easier to grab a bottled water than to find a clean water bottle and fill it.
Old 02 July 2007, 02:24 PM

Yum. Bottled water.
Whatever slight off taste the local water has this image is more distastful to me.
http://www.emagazine.com/images/0903...scavengers.jpg

YMMV