snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 09 July 2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I know he isn't, but why would it be such a bad thing if Obama was a Muslim?
According to a friend of mine, it would be dangerous to have a Muslim as president when we are involved in a conflict with Muslims.

Of course, we're not involved in a conflict with Muslims, we're involved in a conflict with terrorist extremists who happen to be (at least nominally) Muslim. And if anything, having a Muslim elected president would make that distinction clearer, and help us make allies of non-terrorist, non-extremist Muslims. The people who hate us would not stop hating us if we elected a Muslim.
Old 09 July 2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
France is already at least 30% Muslim.
Not according to Wikipedia

Quote:
Roman Catholic 51 %, unaffiliated (either Agnostic and Atheist) 31%, Muslims 4% -the second largest religion in France, Protestant (Calvinist, Lutheran, Anglican and Evangelical) 3%, Jewish 1% - the largest post-WWII European Jewish community, Eastern Orthodox (Greek and Armenian) 1%, Eastern religions (Hindu and Buddhist) 1% introduced to France, and pagan 1%- rapid growth of Neo-Pagan religions of Celtic rites
ETA: Forgot the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_France
Old 09 July 2008, 08:07 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
According to a friend of mine, it would be dangerous to have a Muslim as president when we are involved in a conflict with Muslims.

Of course, we're not involved in a conflict with Muslims, we're involved in a conflict with terrorist extremists who happen to be (at least nominally) Muslim. And if anything, having a Muslim elected president would make that distinction clearer, and help us make allies of non-terrorist, non-extremist Muslims. The people who hate us would not stop hating us if we elected a Muslim.
In her opinion, would it be dangerous to have a white president when we are at war with white people? If that's the case, we had the wrong guy in office throughout most of our history!
Old 09 July 2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

This is what he told me: 1.) Arabic language media in the Middle-East is
telling the people that Barak Hussien Obama is a Muslim. 2.) That any
Muslim person of means there should funnel campaign support to him by any
means legal or illegal at their disposal, as many have family and friends
here in the States, and that 3.) They are being told that Barak Obama, in
conjunction with a liberal, Democrat Congress, will open wide the
floodgates of immigration to them so that they can come here in the kind
of numbers that they will be able to conquer America from within.
This is plausible to me insofar as I imagine the same rumors that float around here also float around predominantly Muslim countries. It's also a big "who cares?" Okay, some Muslims are excited that someone with Muslim ties (to whatever degree believed) may be the next American president. And in other news, water is wet. The fact that some Muslims supported him doesn't require Obama to enact any particular foreign policies.

A good friend of mine is Muslim, and has butted heads with his family several times over the fact that he was a Clinton supporter . His family is quite excited about Obama, not because they expect he'll take down America from the inside , but because there hasn't exactly been a ton of Muslim representation in the U.S. government, so this is a big deal to them. Even if he's been forced to vehemently deny any actual affiliation.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:21 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
In her opinion, would it be dangerous to have a white president when we are at war with white people? If that's the case, we had the wrong guy in office throughout most of our history!
Here we were, in a death struggle against the Germans, and our field commander was this guy named Eisenhower. Hm.... Whose side was he really on, do you think?

Sigh... It should be funny, but it isn't: I've actually met people who believed that American citizens of Japanese descent should have been locked up during WWII. They were absolutely unable to comprehend that these were American Citizens; they just couldn't get past the Japanese-origin name. If the guy is named Shimizu, then he's a Jap; no amount of reasoning would budge them from this position.

Sad...and not a little sickening...

Silas
Old 10 July 2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

Well said, I agree.
Old 10 July 2008, 02:52 PM

I not only find it silly that so many people are still sticking to the "But he's a Moslom (pronounsed "Maus-Lahm")!!1!" But I'm frankly amazed that so many people, even in person (in the form of coworkers, etc) are so unapologieticly bigoted without even an attempt at excuse (such as "I don't hate Gay people, but it is a sin and I hate sins" type excuses). I mean if I went out and said "You know I wouldn't vote for Obama, he's black" odds are most people would disagree with me and virtually all would condemn me for that statement. Or if I said I would not vote for McCain cause he's a Christian I'd get it even worse, but somehow people seem to think its ok, even makes sense, to not vote for somebody because he may be a Muslim.

Scary..

-MB