snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 27 July 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Bennett needs to crawl off and rot already. I can't believe people still give him a national stage on which to spew his BS
Old 27 July 2012, 11:21 PM

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ark-night.html

Quote:
Have you ever wondered what you'd do in a moment of crisis? How you'd respond to a terrorist on the plane, or a fire on the 13th floor, or a guy wearing a clown mask and waving a gun while you're standing in line at the bank?

Stephanie Davies knows.

The 21-year-old faced such a moment last week in the most unlikely of places: a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., where she went to a late-night screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" with her friend Allie. About 20 minutes into the movie, a gas canister flew by close to the two girls. Startled, Allie stood up and was shot in the neck by a gunman walking up the aisle.

Stephanie, 21, saw Allie collapse in the aisle, blood spurting from her neck. She crawled to her, pulled her out of the aisle and used her fingers to apply pressure to the wound as the gunman moved around the theater, firing into the screaming crowd. When the gunman again walked past the aisle where the two girls were on the floor, they played dead until he passed. Then she got a stranger to help her carry Allie out of the theater to an ambulance, her fingers never leaving her friend's wounded neck.
Maybe it has nothing to do with gender. Maybe people are naturally inclined to protect and try to save those they love.
Old 27 July 2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Maybe it has nothing to do with gender. Maybe people are naturally inclined to protect and try to save those they love.
Agree with the first part but not the second. Some people seem more likely to protect others even at the cost of their own life. But is it something that is "taught" compared to a natural instinct.
Old 28 July 2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
I myself feel there is something quite dangerous about this trend of saying, "The men die for the women! And the women should hide behind the men! It's the moral thing to do!"

But I did wonder about the stories themselves. I think a close examination without confirmation bias could prove this to be as full of crap as I think it is. Maybe I have my own confirmation biases, but they're mine, ergo, they're right, of course.
Old 30 July 2012, 02:37 AM

Any comments about either of these?

http://www.infowars.com/overwh*elmin...ooting-staged/

Old 30 July 2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Joe View Post
He has a public defender, so, the good people of Colorado are paying for his defense.
Generally speaking, the NRA will not pay for a person's defense if the person did something illegal with the firearm. Sorry, I don't have a cite. Just going off of incidents I knew about when I was an active instructor.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
The mouth is part of the face. It the mouth moves and changes shape, if affects the other parts of the face as well.

This is not rocket science.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
As far as the photos go, A) what's the source of the comparison photo? It can't prove anything without being established to be a picture of the same James Holmes. B) Assuming the b/w photo is of him, I don't see anything that couldn't be accounted for by the change in expression and pose. The ear comparison is the most laughable--why didn't they compare his right ear to his right ear?--because it's his left ear that looks bigger because of the camera position and his slight head tilt.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:12 PM

How many people have half their hair red and the other brown????
Old 31 July 2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
The mouth is part of the face. It the mouth moves and changes shape, if affects the other parts of the face as well.

This is not rocket science.
Yep... I just went and watched myself changing facial expressions in the mirror a few times (laundry day, not much else to do). When I smile, it not only changes the shape of my mouth and eyes, but my nose actually looks about a quarter inch wider and my ears move closer to my skull.

ETA: Noticed that the link was for infowars, disregarded conspiracy theory.
Old 31 July 2012, 05:27 PM

Yeah, the photo conspiracy is stupid. He's smiling in one and not the other. Measuring his ears? Yes, because all humans have perfectly symmetrical ears. Just ask Stephen Colbert.

But the stupidest part, IMO, is, it's not like they went looking for the first guy and arrested the second guy. They got their man outside the theater. The first photo was simply the first photo the media had of him. The other is his mugshot (or some other released police photo).
Old 01 August 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Bennett needs to crawl off and rot already. I can't believe people still give him a national stage on which to spew his BS
Someone needs to ask him if it was a man or a women that actually did the shooting.