snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 13 March 2012, 04:14 PM

Actually, if you do it correctly, you can lie on a bed of nails without breaking the skin.

Gen "pedant. pedant. pedant-pedant-pedant" Yus
Old 14 March 2012, 12:45 AM

Mouse

Don't feel bad, GenYus, that was my first thought too. That and it called up a pleasant childhood memory spent watching Bill Nye the Science Guy. He actually tested that bed of nails theory in one episode and pulled it off.

Anyway so there's no need to whip out the Lysistrata gambit anytime soon? Also, I'm forced to conclude that the Catholic Church took the wrong moral from "The Screwfly Solution." I know a lot of my fellow feminists refer to Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale," but for me, the surge of women-hating that comes up every time we get all uppity with our insistence that we be given fair treatment in society makes me think of James Tiptree Jr.
Old 14 March 2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Don't feel bad, GenYus, that was my first thought too. That and it called up a pleasant childhood memory spent watching Bill Nye the Science Guy. He actually tested that bed of nails theory in one episode and pulled it off.
Heck, I watched one of the science teachers at my high school pull it off, live in front of us. He wouldn't let any of us try it, of course.
Old 14 March 2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Okay maybe this is a tad off-topic but is it just me or are all the Misogynistic Assholes of the World, louder and dumber this year? I mean, there've always been Misogynistic Assholes on the Right but for some reason, they seem even louder and dumber than usual this year. Usually, Misogynists make some attempt to clothe their naked hatred for half the population, but they're not even doing that anymore.
I don't think that they are getting dumber. I do think that the dumb ones are getting louder though. I think it's the general pushback you see when bigots feel that their privileged status is slipping away. It's the same thing you see when religiously intolerant people act like you're committing a hate crime because a business said "happy holidays" wanting to include Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and atheist customers.

Within the past year we've seen the repeal of don't ask don't tell, several states have legalized gay marriage you had the Obama bill requiring insurers to cover birth control. When Susan G. Komen cut ties with Planned Parenthood they faced such a swift backlash that they had to reestablish ties with PP. It was not a good year to be a sexist, misogynist asshole. So they're mad & they're going to start yelling about it. Add to that you have election year pandering to them by some Republican candidates who have decided that the only way they can win is by doubling down on sexist misogynist positions.
Old 14 March 2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Add to that you have election year pandering to them by some Republican candidates who have decided that the only way they can win is by doubling down on sexist misogynist positions.
I wonder if pandering to these (usually) old men is worth losing the female half of the population, likely for a generation at least. I mean, I know these old nfbsk-holes are almost guaranteed to vote because they have very little else to do, but they aren't going to live forever. The women of the baby boom, who were instrumental in gaining us many of the strides in women's rights, are beginning to retire. They are going to be looking for something useful to do. I wouldn't be surprised for them to start banding together very visibly to fight this crap, which is going to be a lot more effective than the votes of a bunch of crotchety old men desperately clinging to their right to hate pretty much everybody.
Old 14 March 2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I wonder if pandering to these (usually) old men is worth losing the female half of the population, likely for a generation at least. I mean, I know these old nfbsk-holes are almost guaranteed to vote because they have very little else to do, but they aren't going to live forever. The women of the baby boom, who were instrumental in gaining us many of the strides in women's rights, are beginning to retire. They are going to be looking for something useful to do. I wouldn't be surprised for them to start banding together very visibly to fight this crap, which is going to be a lot more effective than the votes of a bunch of crotchety old men desperately clinging to their right to hate pretty much everybody.
I read an interesting column the other day by a conservative-leaning columnist making a similar point: more women are Democrats and independents than are Republicans, and women vote more reliably and consistently than men. She made a pretty convincing case that even in the short term, and absent large-scale activism, anti-woman pandering is a bad bet for the Republicans.
Old 16 March 2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
The women of the baby boom, who were instrumental in gaining us many of the strides in women's rights, are beginning to retire.
They tried to go for that in 2008 and failed miserably. They ran an incredibly stupid female candidate and claimed that any legit attack on her ability or politics was sexism. This from the same people who had run an anti-Hillery Clinton campaign based totally on sexism a few months earlier.