snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Sports

Old 02 January 2010, 04:53 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy View Post
Not that I think "foul pole" is incorrect or anything, but is "fair pole" incorrect?
No, I wouldn't say it's incorrect; what's wrong about it is that people have started using the term "fair pole" instead of the "foul pole" due to the (erroneous) implication that the latter was incorrect.
Old 02 January 2010, 05:43 PM

The rule book uses the terms "foul pole" and "foul line." Not that we can't ever deviate from the official terminology (who says "home base" or "three-base hit"?), but when the language of the rule book is already in common use, it seems silly to insist that we have to use different terminology.

Furthermore, the current terminology makes good sense from the perspective that play begins in fair territory, and the lines delimit the point when you enter foul territory. I live in Louisiana, quite close to Mississippi. Because I'm in Louisiana already, I would refer to the boundary as the Mississippi state line; it wouldn't make sense to call it the Louisiana line unless I were in Mississippi.
Old 02 January 2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardWizard View Post
It's not technically a ground rule (but then a typical "ground rule double" isn't really a ground rule either), but a batter is awarded three bases if a fielder deliberately touches a fair ball with his cap, mask, or other part of the uniform, or if he deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball.
That's too bad. I'd love to see someone catch a fly ball in his hat. And if that happened, I'd think it should count as an out. That's hard to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Really? Our local guys just call that a double; I've heard it called a ground-rule double when the game is being nationally broadcast, but I don't recall that term being used by Don and Jerry. I certainly may be misremembering, though.
Toronto Blue Jays announcers call them ground rule doubles.
Quote:
Does any other park name the foul poles, or just Fenway?
We have foul nets! But they don't have names. The left field one should be called "Joe Carter", though, 'cause he hit his World Series-winning homer pretty close to it.
Old 02 January 2010, 08:47 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Toronto Blue Jays announcers call them ground rule doubles.
Toronto fans aren't known as the most knowledgeable fans in baseball. Members of RedSox Nation have been known call a balk before the umpire does.

Toronto does have a nice park, though. I saw Joe Carter hit a mammonth home run against the Indians there.

Four Kitties
Old 03 January 2010, 07:01 AM

Theme Icon Fenway uniqueness

Quote:
Does any other park name the foul poles, or just Fenway?
Not just the foul poles, Fenway has more overall uniqueness than ANY other park.
It was the utter highlight of my 8 years in Boston!
Old 03 January 2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Members of RedSox Nation have been known call a balk before the umpire does.
That in itself isn't too surprising. I see quick balks called by the crowd all the time. The only problem is that at least 90% of the balks called by the crowd aren't balks at all.

I will say that I was quite impressed by the Fenway crowd during my one visit there. Unlike the fans at most other places I've been, they were engaged in the game, they didn't do the wave at crucial points in the game, there wasn't a constant stream of people walking in front of me during play, everyone around me talked about the game, and people didn't leave in the seventh inning, even though the Red Sox were behind. If that's any indication, I would guess that Sox fans have a much better record than most at calling balks correctly.
Old 03 January 2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Toronto fans aren't known as the most knowledgeable fans in baseball. Members of RedSox Nation have been known call a balk before the umpire does.
Oh, I was just suggesting that the term is, although not technically correct, is in common usage, even by broadcasters.
Old 04 January 2010, 06:02 AM

Reporter

Quote:
Here are some observations on the 2010 Winter Classic:

Mike Emrick, who called the game for NBC, is the best announcer in hockey history. And it should be noted that he was the voice of the late, great Maine Mariners before he ascended to the NHL. Yes, he did throw it out there that a baseball hit off the infamous ladder in left field is a ground-rule triple, which is an urban legend, but what the hell. The Doc rocks.
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/...e_a_real_high/
Old 22 January 2010, 09:23 AM

I flipped through the strange plays section at retrosheet.org, thinking that if someone had ever hit a ground rule triple in Fenway, it would have been notable enough that someone in the last 7 years that people have been scouring the box scores for wackiness would have seen it. The strange play list is not exhaustive, and Retrosheet is not exhaustive either (although they're starting to close in on play by play data for a lot of years that, 20 years ago, we'd have thought had been impossible to do), but this is the closest that I could find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosheet
6-13-1972 KCA @ BOS -Carlt on Fisk led off the bottom of the fifth inning with a long drive near the top of the cf wall at Fenway Park. A fan reached over the wall and interfered with the play. Instead of awarding the usual two bases when a fan reach es onto the playing field (not a requirement), the umpires decided to give Fisk a triple in accordance with Rule 3.16. Fisk later went on to tie Joe Rudi for the AL lead with nine triples.
Old 18 February 2010, 02:40 PM
bcwray

Quote:
Does any other park name the foul poles, or just Fenway? We have the Pesky Pole down the right field line, and the Fisk Pole on the left.

Four Kitties
At Minute Maid (home of the Astros) we have "Fowl Poles"

If an Astros hits the fowl pole resulting in a home run (they always word it like that, is it possible to hit the fowl pole and not result in a home run?) then everyone in attendance can take their ticket to ChicFilA the following day and receive a free chicken sandwich.

We also have a "Fair Pole", a flag pole in play in deep center field. The flag pole on Tal's Hill makes for some exciting plays.
Old 20 February 2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwray View Post
We also have a "Fair Pole", a flag pole in play in deep center field. The flag pole on Tal's Hill makes for some exciting plays.
That reminds me of pre-renovation old Yankee Stadium, where Monument Park was in center field on the warning track. (This is the only picture I could find. They're on the left, in front of the 461-foot sign.)
Old 20 February 2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardWizard View Post
I agree that calling it a "fair pole" or a "fair line" is just lame. By the same reasoning, the goal posts in football should be called "missed-goal posts."
Surely calling them "missed-goal posts" is the same as calling them "foul posts"?
Although, in football you can either hit the posts and miss or hit the posts and score, so I'm not sure it fits either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwray View Post
(they always word it like that, is it possible to hit the fowl pole and not result in a home run?)
Sure is: If it bounces first in the field of play and the batter is awarded a ground rule double
Old 21 February 2010, 03:20 AM

I think they started calling them "fair poles" so people didn't get them confused with boxer Andrew Golota.