snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 07 September 2016, 04:59 PM

Default Dakota Access Pipeline Saga Turns Violent Amid "Largest Gathering Of Native Americans

Has anybody else been following this?:

Dakota Access Pipeline Saga Turns Violent Amid "Largest Gathering Of Native Americans Since The Little Bighorn"

Quote:
In what has become the largest gathering of Native Americans in more than 100 years, a coalition of dozens of tribes across the country oppose the pipeline’s construction, citing concerns that it would put the Missouri River – as well as the network of lakes and tributaries that the “Big Muddy” is connected to - at risk of contamination via oil spill and lead to the destruction of culturally significant sites for the Sioux tribes in the area.

Did the Dakota Access Pipeline Company Deliberately Destroy Sacred Sioux Burial Sites?

Quote:
Only hours after lawyers representing the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe filed evidence in federal court documenting how some of the Dakota Access pipeline’s proposed route would go through a sacred burial site, the company unexpectedly began working on that very site. As bulldozers cleared earth, hundreds of Native Americans from many different tribes rushed onto the construction site to protect the sacred site. In response, the company’s security forces attacked the Native Americans with dogs and pepper spray.
Worth noting that the burial site was 20 miles from the pipeline's nearest currently active work site. They had to drive the dozers 20 miles through uncleared right-of-way to get to the site. Then dogs and pepper spray - the company could not be much more antagonistic if they tried.
Old 07 September 2016, 05:17 PM

Relatively local to me story about meetings elsewhere being held in solidarity:

Onondaga Nation Stands In Solidarity with Standing Rock Sioux in North Dakota
Old 07 September 2016, 05:52 PM

I've been following it and I'm appalled. I am, however, very proud of the activists and the stand they are making. I do NOT understand why those assaulting them have not been arrested.
Old 07 September 2016, 06:02 PM

If anything, LE seems to be leaning the other way, in favor or arresting the protestors:

Law enforcement issues statement on Dakota Access Pipeline protest

Quote:
Law Enforcement from Morton County, Burleigh County and Highway Patrol responded to the construction site. The crowd of protestors left the scene without further incident. The Morton County Sheriff’s Department in cooperation with the Bureau of Criminal Investigation is investigating the incident.

“Any suggestion that today’s event was a peaceful protest, is false. This was more like a riot than a protest. Individuals crossed onto private property and accosted private security officers with wooden posts and flag poles. The aggression and violence displayed here today is unlawful and should not be repeated. While no arrests were made at the scene, we are actively investigating the incident and individuals who organized and participated in this unlawful event,” said Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier."
The article cites three private security officers as being injured, another threatened with a knife, and two dogs injured. In video I've seen, it was clear that the security dogs were not well trained compared to what one might see in use by a municipal police department.

I am very, very hesitant to ever excuse violence among protesters at any event. In this case the company was deliberately destroying what was believed to be a graveyard, within hours of learning of its existence, with the clear goal of destroying it before it could be documented - in plain sight of the people whose ancestors were likely buried there. That's bound to make people, very, very agitated.

My sense is that this is going to get bigger before it goes away. If the pipeline company stays this confrontational, they're going to need National Guard intervention to be able to get any work done.
Old 07 September 2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I do NOT understand why those assaulting them have not been arrested.
Probably because, according to the sheriff's office, they have no reports of assaults on the protesters. As to whether that is due to there not being such assaults, the victims not pressing charges for various reasons, or creative filing of such reports, I can't say.
Old 08 September 2016, 03:11 AM

Jill Stein has been charged for spray painting a bulldozer at the protests.
Old 08 September 2016, 04:05 AM

Judge's Order Halts Construction On Part Of North Dakota Pipeline

-- but not, apparently, in some of the most disputed area.
Old 08 September 2016, 11:57 AM

'But it will create JOBS!'

I say this as somebody who was unemployed for over a year and living of the kindness of others. Who, even now, had to take the first opportunity that came up and is currently working for minimum wage in a job I despise...

There are more important things than jobs. There are more important things than money. There are more important things than this destructive 19th Century idea of progress.

The fact that this pipeline will destroy areas sacred to some people is adding insult to injury. It's would be a huge tragedy, but to me it's not the whole issue. They are also destroying the natural environment. Businesses should require a good reason to threaten the beauty and natural diversity of the countryside, not a good reason not to. Spaces like that shouldn't have to be sacred to be saved - although if they are they should be protected even more.

What the native protesters are doing is wonderful and awe-inspiring. Expect the deluge of attacks on their 'violent rebellion' in 3... 2... 1...
Old 09 September 2016, 10:46 PM

Joint Statement from the Department of Justice, the Department of the Army and the Department of the Interior Regarding Standing Rock Sioux Tribe v. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Quote:
The Army will not authorize constructing the Dakota Access pipeline on Corps land bordering or under Lake Oahe until it can determine whether it will need to reconsider any of its previous decisions regarding the Lake Oahe site under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) or other federal laws. Therefore, construction of the pipeline on Army Corps land bordering or under Lake Oahe will not go forward at this time. The Army will move expeditiously to make this determination, as everyone involved — including the pipeline company and its workers — deserves a clear and timely resolution. In the interim, we request that the pipeline company voluntarily pause all construction activity within 20 miles east or west of Lake Oahe.
Old 10 September 2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
U.S. District Judge James Boasberg in Washington denied the tribe’s request for a temporary injunction in a 58-page opinion.

But a joint statement from the Departments of Justice, Army and Interior asked Energy Transfer Partners to “voluntarily pause” work within 20 miles east or west of the lake while it reconsidered “any of its previous decisions” on land that borders or is under Lake Oahe. The statement also said that the case “highlighted the need for a serious discussion on whether there should be nationwide reform with respect to considering tribes’ views on these types of infrastructure projects.”
Asked them to "voluntarily pause"?

If these people just did what they're accused of doing, I very much doubt that asking them politely to voluntarily behave themselves is going to do much good.

And I think we should have started having that "serious discussion" quite a few years ago.
Old 10 September 2016, 10:47 PM

The wording is eyebrow-raisingly weasly, but as an eternal optimist I think it marks a toddle towards the right direction.

If nothing else, businesses will want to avoid the risk of this kind of 'embarrassment' in the future. The wording is also so vague that the Lakota and Sioux communities can at least stall future developments while their lawyers try to argue for a more solid concept of native rights.

This could be the tinder that sparks the fire of progress. Real progress, I mean, not 'Cash first, ask questions later' progress.
Old 10 September 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
The wording is eyebrow-raisingly weasly, but as an eternal optimist I think it marks a toddle towards the right direction.
On the part of the Forest Service, I agree. I just don't know how much impact it'll make on the construction company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
This could be the tinder that sparks the fire of progress. Real progress, I mean, not 'Cash first, ask questions later' progress.
I hope that'll be true.

Things are very often not over when many people think they are. The rest of the country, or at least significant parts of it, may be gradually coming to the realization that the argument over whose rights need to be respected in these matters -- and whose overall world view is allowed to apply -- did not get settled forever by roughly the late 1800's.
Old 19 September 2016, 12:00 AM

Default Arrest warrant issued for journalist Amy Goodman after reporting on Dakota Access

Arrest warrant issued for journalist Amy Goodman after reporting on Dakota Access oil pipeline protests

Quote:
North Dakota authorities have issued an arrest warrant for the prominent radio and TV journalist Amy Goodman, in response to her coverage of protests at the construction site for a massive oil pipeline.
Old 25 September 2016, 06:03 PM

Different pipelines, but strongly related:

Dozens Of U.S., Canadian Tribes Unite Against Proposed Oil Pipelines

Quote:
U.S. Native American tribes and Canadian First Nations are banding together to "collectively challenge and resist" proposals to build more pipelines from tar sands in Alberta, Canada. At least 50 First Nations and tribes signed a treaty on Thursday at ceremonies held in Vancouver and Montreal.

The show of unity comes as a separate protest movement against the four-state Dakota Access Pipeline in the U.S. has galvanized tribes.
and following through to a link in that article:

First Nations and Tribes Sign New Treaty Joining Forces To Stop All Tar Sands Pipelines

Quote:
“Indigenous people have been standing up together everywhere in the face of new destructive fossil fuel projects, with no better example than at Standing Rock in North Dakota,” said Grand Chief Phillip, President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs. [ . . . ]
The Treaty provides that Indigenous Nation signatories also want to be partners in moving society onto a more sustainable path.
Old 21 November 2016, 05:19 PM

Well, technically it's a double post, but it's been a while.

Intense clashes at Dakota Access pipeline site

Quote:
Sunday’s skirmishes began around 6 p.m. after protesters removed a burned-out truck on what’s known as the Backwater Bridge, not far from the encampment where they’d been for weeks as they demonstrated against the pipeline. The Morton County Sheriff’s Department estimated 400 protesters sought to cross the bridge on state Highway 1806 in what it called “an ongoing riot.”

A live stream early Monday showed a continued standoff, with large lights illuminating smoke wafting across the scene.
Well, it's certainly ongoing. In some senses, it's been ongoing for several hundred years. "Riot" isn't the word I'd have used, though.
Old 03 December 2016, 05:11 PM

I suppose now it's a triple post; but here we go anyway:

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/03/504184...own-for-winter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0ae0e7cdaf766
Old 07 February 2017, 09:03 PM

And I suppose it's now quadruple; but it has been two months since the last one.

U.S. Army to grant final permit for controversial Dakota pipeline: court filing