snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 05 August 2018, 03:29 PM

Icon18 Did Ted Kennedy try to undermine Reagan's reelection?

I heard this claim this morning on Local Talk Show (memo to station: when the regular host is on vacation, at least try to get someone as independent as he is!) this morning. Of course there's plenty of hits on Google, but they're all from conservative sources. I'm leery of trusting any source with a known bias on any political question--left, right, it doesn't matter. The reference pages don't say anything. I kind of remember hearing this many years ago, but myths do have a way of getting around.
Old 05 August 2018, 04:13 PM

To restate the subject - Did Ted Kennedy, a Democrat, work the election of a Democrat when Reagan, a Republican was running for President? The answer would seem to be duh!
Old 05 August 2018, 05:14 PM

It sounds like it was this claim:. https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...eeting-never-/

Even if it were true, it is a logical fallacy -- the tu quoque attack. It doesn't make the current example right; it, at best, calls attention to hypocrisy (which is certainly not rare in party politics anyway).
Old 05 August 2018, 07:11 PM

Didn't Reagan work to undermine Carter's negotiations during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 79?

But yeah, at best all they've proven is that someone on the other side has committed the same crime, not that it's somehow acceptable.
Old 06 August 2018, 01:57 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
It sounds like it was this claim:. https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...eeting-never-/

Even if it were true, it is a logical fallacy -- the tu quoque attack. It doesn't make the current example right; it, at best, calls attention to hypocrisy (which is certainly not rare in party politics anyway).

Note to self: do not post anything anywhere prior to eating breakfast!

That's what I was referring to! Did Sen. Kennedy collude with the Soviets to undermine Reagan's reelection?
Not surprisingly, that's an urban myth!
Old 06 August 2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Didn't Reagan work to undermine Carter's negotiations during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 79?
I had always heard that Reagan and Carter were somewhat in cahoots during the negotiations. Reagan did not honor all of the details of Carter's agreement, based on the argument that a previous administration's promises were not binding on him. Carter had the ability to promise the Moon because he knew Reagan would do this.
Old 06 August 2018, 03:49 PM

What I'd heard was before the 1980 election, Reagan had sent communications to Iran casting aspersions on Carter to prevent a deal from being reached, which would have given Carter a significant advantage in the election itself.
Old 06 August 2018, 04:11 PM

As I remember the news paper reports from that time, the Ayatollah said that he would not release the prisoners as long as Carter was president. And in fact the prisoners were released just as soon as Reagan was sworn in.

By the way, I was carefully following that story as the company I was working for at the time wanted me to go to Iran but that got canceled when the first US prisoners were taken. My mother was worried enough that she was trying to get me a Norwegian passport.