snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 03 April 2018, 12:36 PM

Icon86

Considering my home state was named after Charles I's wife Henrietta Maria, I'd say we got off lucky! I still remember a docent at Saint Mary's City (where the first colonists landed) telling us that and reminding us that our state could have been called Henriettaland.
For other cities/towns/states, I do know that Churchill Downs' location is properly called Lou-ah-ville and the Mardi Gras' location is call Nawleans.
Important things to consider if you're running a national office and want to at least sound like you're one with the people.

Dawn--just don't call me late for dinner--Storm
Old 03 April 2018, 04:12 PM

Glasses

All I can say is--don't tell me that Washingtonians pronounce the state's name Warshington, unless you've lived here long enough that you can tell me precisely what part of the state does that (in which case you probably won't tell me that at all).

And Moscow, Idaho is Moss-ko, not Moss-cow. Spokane is Spo-can, not Spo-cane (and it's rumored that JFK didn't carry Washington because he gave a speech there and mispronounced the city's name throughout).

Seaboe
Old 03 April 2018, 04:34 PM

In northern Maryland and nearby in Pennsylvania, I've heard people call the state "Murlnd."
Old 03 April 2018, 04:42 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
(and it's rumored that JFK didn't carry Washington because he gave a speech there and mispronounced the city's name throughout).

Seaboe
That was the basis of the whole Atlantic article.
I've heard Washington (DC) pronounced Warshinton as well, Seaboe.
Old 03 April 2018, 06:33 PM

Default How Home State Pronunciations Can Shape Elections

The street just off mine is spelled Chelton and for over 20 years I have called it Chel-Ton. The news has always called it Shel-Ton.

I grew up in the West and pronounce California, Nevada and Oregon correctly, but I never understood where the random R comes from in Warshington?
Old 03 April 2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
All I can say is--don't tell me that Washingtonians pronounce the state's name Warshington, unless you've lived here long enough that you can tell me precisely what part of the state does that (in which case you probably won't tell me that at all).
In my parents' house, after they've been talking to relatives from the Miami (My-AH-ma) Valley (SW uh-hi-ya).

There's an Italian burger chain which opened up a branch nearby. I don't think I've ever heard Apache pronounced Apasha before.
Old 03 April 2018, 07:01 PM

A very short street near the house I grew up in is called Dubois Avenue. We always knew when someone wasn't local (i.e. from more than a mile away) because they pronounced it doo-BWAH instead of the correct doo-BOYCE.
Old 03 April 2018, 07:28 PM

There was a prominent family in my hometown named DuBois. One branch said doo-boys, one said doo-bwah. ETA: More recently, a member of a family that's been DeLuke (spelling and pronunciation) for at least 60 years has started going by DeLuca, which I assume was the original spelling/pronunciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirviii View Post
The street just off mine is spelled Chelton and for over 20 years I have called it Chel-Ton. The news has always called it Shel-Ton.
There's a street in my hometown spelled that way, it's pronounced Shelton.

Quote:
I grew up in the West and pronounce California, Nevada and Oregon correctly, but I never understood where the random R comes from in Warshington?
The only people I hear adding an r to Washington, or the word "wash," are people from Appalachia. Which is nowhere near WA.
Old 03 April 2018, 08:16 PM

In San Diego -- specifically, Pacific Beach - there are a whole bunch of streets named after gems - Beryl, Turquoise, Opal, etc. People from out of town probably assume the main drag, Garnet Avenue, is part of this scheme. But that can't be right, since then it would be pronounced "GAR-net," when we all know it's correctly said as "gar-NET."
Old 03 April 2018, 08:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
There's an Italian burger chain which opened up a branch nearby. I don't think I've ever heard Apache pronounced Apasha before.

It would be interesting to get the opinions of non-Americans (and I'm including Canadians, although not Mexicans in this instance) on how to pronounce some of the Native American/ First Nation names. Not that I claim we pronounce them as they were originally intended to be pronounced.

Seaboe
Old 03 April 2018, 08:47 PM

Imagine being an immigrant to the US or Canada, confident of your skill in English, and then discovering that you need to pronounce things like Mukilteo (WA) or Tuscarawas* (OH) or Monongahela (PA).

*Which spellcheck wants me to change to Tuscaroras, a different but possibly related place name in another state (NY?).
Old 03 April 2018, 09:04 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The only people I hear adding an r to Washington, or the word "wash," are people from Appalachia. Which is nowhere near WA.
I remember Don Adams pronounced it that way on Get Smart, and he was from New York City. Go figure.

Quote:
Imagine being an immigrant to the US or Canada, confident of your skill in English, and then discovering that you need to pronounce things like Mukilteo (WA) or Tuscarawas* (OH) or Monongahela (PA).
... or Skaneateles (NY).
Old 03 April 2018, 10:29 PM

I always liked the theory that something causes the letter R to migrate south, which is why in Boston, you pahk your cah, but in Texas, you warsh it.
Old 03 April 2018, 11:07 PM

Or the proper way to pronounce Lejeune, as in Camp Lejeune, NC

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=128572001
Old 04 April 2018, 02:20 PM

Reporter

This is all reminding me of what I like to call the Nicaragua Effect (pronounced "nee-ha-RAH-hu-wah"), after a Saturday Night Live bit some years ago. It's the tendency for newsreaders to overcompensate for their accent when pronouncing foreign names "correctly".

I remember a respected newsman (I think it was Cronkite) pronouncing Mikhail Gorbachev's name very deliberately as "mik-hy-AIL gor-ba-CHOFF". The Russian guest he was speaking with casually pronounced it "McHale GORB-a-chev", just like any English speaker would tend to do.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Or the proper way to pronounce Lejeune, as in Camp Lejeune, NC

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=128572001
In college, I had a dormmate who was named after the camp, and spelled the same way, but pronounced Luh-Jean.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:58 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Mukilteo (WA)
Funny you should pick that example, Lainie.

The other day, my dentist's new hygienist just could not get a grip on this name. Not even when I slowed it way down and said "muckle tio" (like uncle, in Spanish).

Seaboe
Old 04 April 2018, 03:00 PM

It sticks in my mind because I actually took a map over to a co-worker's desk at my first temp job, pointed to Mukilteo, and asked her how to pronounce it.
Old 04 April 2018, 05:05 PM

It is Missour-ee. Of course, I'm from the liberal, elite coast of Missouri.
Old 04 April 2018, 06:35 PM

There's a suburb of Ottawa called Orleans and I remember, a long while ago, there was a big tiff about signs that left off the accent aigu.

It's rightly pronounced Or-Lay-ans.

Funnily, few people seem to have problems figuring out the pronunciation of Ottawa (awe ta wa)