snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 17 February 2018, 02:16 PM

Default Co-sleeping can lead to infant deaths, experts say

Nearly 3,500 babies die suddenly and unexpectedly each year. While many deaths have been prevented by having babies sleep on their backs, health experts are sounding a different alarm. This warning doesn't focus on how they sleep, but where they sleep.

Sophia Danneman lived for two months. "She was a very happy baby. I would take pictures of her smiling. She brought so much joy to this family," said her mother, Sarah Danneman. Sophia was having problems sleeping in her bassinet at her family's home in Birmingham. She wouldn't stop crying, so her parents decided to let her sleep with them. Sadly, Sophia died after suffocating on a sofa next to her father. "It was co-sleeping that did it. And for that, I lost my daughter," Danneman said.

http://www.waff.com/story/37520366/c...hs-experts-say

This is something most young parents I know are doing now. It's trendy but is it safe?
Old 17 February 2018, 04:56 PM

No it is not safe. My daughter was receiving WIC benefits with her first born and there was a poster on the wall of the waiting room showing a head stone above a bed. It was an informative poster warning people of the dangers of co-sleeping. It was a shocking and disturbing poster, but it was pretty accurate. I rate the co-sleeping thing right up there with anti-vaxers.
Old 17 February 2018, 06:41 PM

I remember hearing about how dangerous it was well before anti-vaxers became a movement.
Old 17 February 2018, 08:29 PM

When we were new parents we were told that you could do it, but there were a whole bunch of safety guidelines - only in a bed, not a sofa etc. No cushions, no alcohol in your system. I can't remember the rest but there were heaps. We didn't ever want to anyway.
Old 17 February 2018, 09:17 PM

I read about the dangers 16 years ago when Pink Tablet was born, and never did it because the warnings were very convincing. Babies can suffocate themselves in crib blankets, much less in a bed with a heavy, slumbering adult.

Instead, when the kids were newborns, on bad nights I slept with the bassinet next to my bed and my hand in it. Ultimately, though, teaching them independent sleep meant better sleep for all of us, personally.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:29 AM

I just read Numero Zero by Umberto Eco (his last novel before he died), which is about some people setting up dummy issues of a possibly "fake" but definitely very cynical newspaper that's not intended ever to be real. So it's partly an exploration of the ways in which the media can create stories from nothing, or find stories if nothing is happening. It's set in the early '90s before the web, but was published in 2015 or 2016 I think.

One tip that the more cynical journalists give is that you can create a story whenever you like by reporting something sensationalistic or contentious from a long time ago, as though it's only just been discovered. You might need a new angle on it, or some hook to suggest that it's suddenly more important than before, but otherwise, the idea was that most readers would have forgotten that it was already well-known from a long time ago, and the story could live again, thus making people buy copies of your newspaper, or in modern terms, click on articles.

Without having read Sue's OP link, this story strikes me as being in that genre.
Old 18 February 2018, 01:56 PM

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure that's what is happening here. Co-sleeping is as old as time but it's enjoying a surge of popularity among young parents here right now. It can be done safely but sadly, as news stories like this point out, it can also have tragic consequences.

The problem, if there is a problem, is that stories like this tend to preach to the choir. The people who need to hear this message aren't listening or if they are they are insisting it doesn't apply to them.
Old 20 February 2018, 04:56 AM

Japan

It makes me wonder what's so different about how it's done here and in other places where it's the norm but incidents are very low.
Old 21 February 2018, 12:53 AM

There are other factors like drug and alcohol abuse that influence statistics. I would also think that bed type and what kind of blankets are used would change the risk. A big deep feather bed on a cold night seems more dangerous than a sleeping mat in the tropics.
Old 21 February 2018, 01:30 AM

There are medieval sermons that talk about how dangerous co-sleeping is and from Renaissance Florence there is a drawing of an odd box-like device to prevent a wetnurse from overlaying the baby while nursing. Not a new worry.
I was so careful with newborns but for the one kid I nursed after a few months old she'd end up in with me and I had no memory of getting up to move her. (We called her the magic teleporting baby.) If one is stuck with drafting housing, there might not be a good warm place for baby other than in bed with mom.
I wish there would be more talk of how to do it safely rather than NO never. It is the desperately tired parent who thinks it won't happen to them who needs some clear tools. Even just sleeping on the floor would be safer than dozing off on the sofa.
Old 21 February 2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
There are medieval sermons that talk about how dangerous co-sleeping is and from Renaissance Florence there is a drawing of an odd box-like device to prevent a wetnurse from overlaying the baby while nursing. Not a new worry.
Not a new worry, no. But I do wonder about those medieval stories - -

You've got a society with no effective birth control, and no remotely safe for the mother method of abortion; and some people having trouble feeding the kids they've already got. Deliberately killing or exposing a baby is murder. But accidentally smothering one in your sleep is a tragic accident.

I'm sure not all the cases were deliberate. But I'd be pretty surprised if none of them were.
Old 21 February 2018, 01:45 PM

That was my thought, too. And conversely, some innocent women were probably accused of killing babies that had died of natural causes.
Old 21 February 2018, 10:42 PM

There is no medieval what to expect books. We only know about the cases where things went wrong.