snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 15 January 2018, 05:02 PM

I agree with all of that. I was just pointing out that it might not be relying on voice command. But it seems clear that there are not true fail safes built in, or sensible emergency controls, particularly when you consider the new and untested nature of the system.
Old 15 January 2018, 06:40 PM

An emergency brake seems like a good idea.

Though there are edge cases where the passenger thinks the autopilot is borked but the automation still has things under control? The passenger could cause an accident by trying to override the autopilot. I'd almost suggest making the control system sufficiently redundant that it can still pilot itself to a safe stop in the event of the main computer going down rather than giving a passenger manual overrides. Safety planning is a lot easier if you commit to full AI control rather than counting on a human to mitigate failures.