snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 02 June 2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I can't answer Seaboe's question, but I bet we could fill a lot of threads trying to answer the question, "Why are people so stupid?"

That would be the "Things You Shouldn't Have To Tell People" thread.
Old 02 June 2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Okay, this thread is probably about to be closed, but I'm going to ask anyway.

There are two lanes on a freeway on ramp. Both are metered. Both feed into a very long merge with the highway, so by the time you're actually on the freeway, there is only one lane. The meters are set up to alternate cars. The left lane tends to have more cars in it, because the right lane is close to an on/off ramp, which makes it difficult to change lanes from the left lane when the right is substantially shorter.

So why, if you were coming in on the right, would you change lanes to the left, when its line is longer?

This is another "I see this every day and can't figure out why people are so stupid."

Seaboe
I can't speak to your area, but in California the two lane setup will often have one metered lane and one unmetered carpool lane. A carpool lane violation is a pretty severe ticket and one that the police seem particularly keen to enforce. If I pulled onto an onramp where I was unfamiliar and saw one line of cars significantly longer then the other, I would probably just assume I needed to be in the longer line for that reason.
Old 02 June 2015, 05:03 PM

What's a metered lane?
Old 02 June 2015, 05:12 PM

There's a stop-go light at the end of the lane that's timed tor regulate the flow of traffic onto the highway. Wiki
Old 02 June 2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
So I watched Mad Max today and relised the WildaBeast was talking about "Road Warrior" the second film. I watched the first.
Perhaps I should have been more clear, as IIRC the second one was simply named Mad Max 2 in Australia, but renamed The Road Warrior in the US (Apparently with no indication that it was a sequel to Mad Max, at least according to Wikipedia).
Old 02 June 2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
The left lane tends to have more cars in it, because the right lane is close to an on/off ramp, which makes it difficult to change lanes from the left lane when the right is substantially shorter.

So why, if you were coming in on the right, would you change lanes to the left, when its line is longer?
Because the right lane is close to an on/off ramp, so that if you're in the right lane you need to keep adjusting what you're doing to let cars in or out which are coming off or getting on to that ramp, whereas once you're in the left lane you're already out of their way?
Old 02 June 2015, 06:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
What signage is there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
I can't speak to your area, but in California the two lane setup will often have one metered lane and one unmetered carpool lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Because the right lane is close to an on/off ramp, so that if you're in the right lane you need to keep adjusting what you're doing to let cars in or out which are coming off or getting on to that ramp, whereas once you're in the left lane you're already out of their way?
Okay, I guess a little more information is required.

There is no signage, both lights (and the merge lane onto the freeway) are fully visible as you fall into line. There is a third, carpool lane that goes around the other two. The lights are after the on ramp, so there's very little jockeying to let in other people (although there is some jockeying to let people out, since there is an off-ramp as well).

The really long merge with the freeway plugs into an exit lane, and an exit only lane joins about another 1/4 mile down the road. You can't change lanes out of the exit lane any faster if you go through the light on the left rather than the one on the right.

All I can think of is that these people are falling for the false idea that left is always faster. Now, I'm generally in the left lane, because I get onto the ramp at the previous entrance (this very long ramp has two places you can get on and (if you count the one that comes before the first entrance) three places you can get off). This puts me at an initial disadvantage (because the right lane is generally faster, once you've taken out the cars getting off and the car pools), so the knowledge that these people who change lanes are deliberately getting into the slower lane just baffles me.

Oh, well. People are strange.

Seaboe
Old 03 June 2015, 12:16 AM

Don't know if this goes here or in Home & Garden, but it is a stupid question, maybe?

I finally found an apartment and put in an application to rent it (YAY!!!!). It is more or less everything I would want in the immediate future, but I also want, for the first time in my life, to settle into a place that is probably not temporary. One thing it does not have is knobs or pulls on the kitchen cabinets. I would like to have those, at some point, because it is one of very few ways a renter can personalize a place. But if there are none, and they don't let me drill (or if I am afraid to), it seems I would have two options:

One, get some hideous knobs that are the cabinet equivalent of clip on earrings. Example: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...s/N-5yc1vZc67b

Not in favor of that.

The other is that I could try cutting Command hooks to size and effectively glue them on, like on this blog: http://westermanfam.blogspot.com/201...ing-holes.html

Then, when I removed them, I would need to pretend the strip broke and use dental floss, I assume, as per the 3M website.

Are there drawbacks to this I haven't considered? Because this seems pretty awesome to me.
Old 03 June 2015, 12:49 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
It's hard having your work critiqued. Take it from someone who sat through probably more writer's workshops than anyone should;* tears, fits of manuscript-ripping anger, and seething resentment that sticks with you for months are all par for the course, at least occasionally. Some people are better at that thing where they sublimate their feelings and become passive-aggressive or take it out on an innocent loved one or whatever, and some are genuinely better at handling criticism gracefully because they have a strong bedrock of self-esteem and enough experience dealing with workshops not to hear, even on an emotional level, "your story is bad and you should feel bad" every time someone makes a suggestion.

In all honesty, the weird thing is that this level of strum und drang only seems to come about when it comes to receiving written critiques. I go to a writing group every two weeks and I usually don't have too much trouble hearing their critiques. I'm able to listen to them and weigh out the merits of said critiques, without my self-esteem sinking like a brick. Most of the time I wind up agreeing with their assessment, because there's stuff you don't notice until you actually read it out loud. Like I used to be such a junkie when it came to overly long sentences linked together by semi-colons, but thanks to them, I've gotten on the wagon and gotten better about it.

But whenever I post anything on that writing website I frequent...despite the fact it's not, like so many other message boards on the Internet, a festering cesspool frequented by angry idiots who have neither a good reason to be angry or jobs or lives to get back to. It is a well-moderated, well-run board. It's just that every time, no matter how mild the criticism of my work, I usually fantasize about either hurting them or myself.

It also doesn't take me long before I feel like a big stinking hypocrite for getting so worked up. I've always been the one who says, regarding either fanworks or original stuff, that if you put anything out there, regardless of how good it is, there will always be someone who takes it the wrong way. It's the nature of the game. It's harsh, but if you respond in the Dear Negative Reader fashion, you just come across as thin-skinned and petty. It's the old rule of the playground: not everyone will like you, so you're just going to have to live with it.

But apparently I am incapable of taking my own advice. Though I will say in my defense that while I'll occasionally respond asking for clarification if I'm confused, for the most part, I make myself promise that no matter what, I will not respond until after a good night's sleep. I'll write in my journal all the different and horrible ways I wish they'll die, I'll sob for a while in despair, but I won't reply until after I've slept on it. Because the sad part is what happens on the Internet, stays on the Internet. For Ev Ver

Sorry about that last link. Was trying to liven up a dull post. As a show of respect for those who feel I've painted an unfair picture of people on the Internet, depicting them all as obsessive socially-awkward freaks, I will now fish myself. Though really most of the time when I make fun of obsessive socially-awkward freaks on the Internet, I'm mostly talking about myself.
Old 03 June 2015, 02:59 AM

Mouse, you know how it is often said on the boards that we need /sarcasm tags? It is so easy to miss the full intent and nuance of what people are trying to say when it is given in writing. People use facial expressions and gestures when speaking in ways that convey so much, and make words that would seem very harsh by themselves in writing much more meaningful and easy to take. That is probably what you are running into. Something like 'that scene was unbelievable' can mean it lacked credibility (and by the way, what lacks credibility for one person can be the wackiness of the human experience to others) or it can mean it was wonderful beyond belief. But in writing, especially when you are reading criticism, it more readily comes off as a slam. I am not sure if there is a solution, other than imagining all the different ways something can be presented in spoken words. Or by thinking that if someone took the time to respond with a typed message to you, they think you and your story are worth the effort (that attitude can be overdone - some posts just cannot be explained other than by acknowledging that some people are real NFBSKs, particularly online).
Old 03 June 2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Okay, I guess a little more information is required.

There is no signage, both lights (and the merge lane onto the freeway) are fully visible as you fall into line. There is a third, carpool lane that goes around the other two. The lights are after the on ramp, so there's very little jockeying to let in other people (although there is some jockeying to let people out, since there is an off-ramp as well).

The really long merge with the freeway plugs into an exit lane, and an exit only lane joins about another 1/4 mile down the road. You can't change lanes out of the exit lane any faster if you go through the light on the left rather than the one on the right.

All I can think of is that these people are falling for the false idea that left is always faster. Now, I'm generally in the left lane, because I get onto the ramp at the previous entrance (this very long ramp has two places you can get on and (if you count the one that comes before the first entrance) three places you can get off). This puts me at an initial disadvantage (because the right lane is generally faster, once you've taken out the cars getting off and the car pools), so the knowledge that these people who change lanes are deliberately getting into the slower lane just baffles me.

Oh, well. People are strange.

Seaboe
It sounds like it may be a carryover from these people's behavior in uncontrolled merges - take away the lights and we'd be having the old debate about "it's more efficient to use both lanes fully and zipper merge at the end" vs. "you should merge as soon as you know you need to; anyone who doesn't is trying to jump the line." The metering is trying to enforce the former, but the people merging early have the latter mentality.

ETA: Anyone know how Amazon's email recommendations work? I just received an email recommending a show they currently don't hold distribution rights to, so I'm rather baffled why they'd advertise it like it's available. (The show in question is Drive starring Nathan Fillion, for the curious.)

Last edited by Meka; 03 June 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03 June 2015, 02:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Are there drawbacks to this I haven't considered? Because this seems pretty awesome to me.
Does the stuff come all the way off? Will the landlord ding your security deposit for any damage if it doesn't?

Those are the only drawbacks I can think of.

Seaboe
Old 03 June 2015, 08:12 PM

Lefthanded people are sometimes called southpaws. Why aren't righthanded people called north paws?
Old 03 June 2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
Lefthanded people are sometimes called southpaws. Why aren't righthanded people called north paws?
Because we are the normal ones, and lefties are the freakish mutants who are different.
Old 03 June 2015, 09:00 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
I asked that question a while ago among my friends who are golfers (I'm a southpaw golfer, unlike all my friends).

http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php...ents/southpaw/

Has a reasonable explanation of the history and likely etymology.
Old 03 June 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Because we are the normal ones, and lefties are the freakish mutants who are different.
Just you wait, one day we will rise up and turn all the can openers around.
Old 04 June 2015, 01:41 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Just you wait, one day we will rise up and turn all the can openers around.
People, people, let us not forget the real enemy! All those ambidextrous jerks who stubbornly refuse to pick a side and play! If we Righties are to stand in the epic battle that is to come, we need the help of our south-pawed brethren.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go paint my face up like Mel Gibson in Braveheart.
Old 04 June 2015, 02:02 AM

Ah, but don't we all swing both ways to some extent? And recognizing this, can we not find tolerance and common ground for those of either predominant chirality?
Old 04 June 2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
People, people, let us not forget the real enemy! All those ambidextrous jerks who stubbornly refuse to pick a side and play! If we Righties are to stand in the epic battle that is to come, we need the help of our south-pawed brethren.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go paint my face up like Mel Gibson in Braveheart.
"You can take my life, you canna take my can opener"
Old 04 June 2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
We are freakish mutants, just like the X-Men. It is a mild form of a superpower.

Now, if only my color-blindness would let me shoot laser beams from my eyes....

Last edited by crescent; 04 June 2015 at 06:49 AM.
Closed Thread