snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 19 February 2015, 01:43 PM

Tools... Internet Options... Programs... Manage Add Ons. Here you can either turn off spelling correction or set the language to US English.

ETA: Which actually leads to my stupid question. In the US, we use "The king's (queen's) English" to refer to proper, formal English. In some sci-fi novels, alien races will have similar distinctions with "high" and "low" version of their language. Do all languages with significant non-domestic speakers have a similar distinction? For example, in Spanish classes we learned both Castilian Spanish and colloquial Spanish. Is there "high French" in France and "low French" in Canada?
Old 19 February 2015, 02:25 PM

Very often, it is the courtly language versus the vernacular. For instance in Spain, the Castilian is the courtly language because the Reconquista was completed under the Castilian rulers. In China 'mandarin' is the court and bureaucracy language. I am pretty sure the term 'the king's (or queen's) English' was used first in England to describe the language accepted at the court (up through at least the Plantagenet dynasty, it would have been lingua franca instead - but I'll bet that it, as Norman French, had considerable differences from the royal French language). German has considerable regional variations, from the low German of the Hanover and environs, to the high German of the Alps, Munich etc. to the Prussian German from the east, which no doubt was the 'proper German' for decades after German unification.
Old 19 February 2015, 02:34 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
In the US, we use "The king's (queen's) English" to refer to proper, formal usually British English...Is there "high French" in France and "low French" in Canada?
There is (or was) high French and low French in France. I've only heard the two mentioned above identified as Parisian French and Ontario French.

Oh, and I amended your definition of formal English.

Seaboe
Old 19 February 2015, 02:37 PM

IIRC, there is High German and Low German. I know there used to be.
Old 19 February 2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
There is (or was) high French and low French in France. I've only heard the two mentioned above identified as Parisian French and Ontario French.
A few acquaintances of mine once served in the Peace Corps in Africa. They spoke some basic, high school level French before they went, and became fluent while they were there.

Now they complain that they only know how to speak backwoods African French, and are too embarrassed to speak it to actual French people, lest they sound like a couple of hillbillies. I am guessing backwoods African French might even be "lower" than Ontario French.
Old 19 February 2015, 03:07 PM

My high school French teacher, a speaker of European French, had some snarky things to say about Quebecois French.
Old 19 February 2015, 03:39 PM

Canada

I travelled to Europe with a group when I was in high school, the French Canadian kids were pretty devastated by some of the downright nasty comments a few of the French from France kids we met had to say about their accents and the French they spoke. The dumb thing was that we English kids, who were for the most part being taught "proper" French got along better with them but had a hard time coping in French in our own backyard. French from France French may be the French of the purist but your local French makes more sense to actually learn!
Old 19 February 2015, 04:03 PM

My teacher fortunately just grumbled to us, mostly about people slurring all their words together.
Old 19 February 2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Tools... Internet Options... Programs... Manage Add Ons. Here you can either turn off spelling correction or set the language to US English.
Or if you really wanted to get it right, you could set it to UK English!
Old 19 February 2015, 05:59 PM

Ounly if he wants tou wear out the "u" key oun the keybouard.
Old 19 February 2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My French coworker says Parisian French is what is spoken in Paris. The rest of France speaks differently and are looked down upon by those from Paris. Swiss French is also different.

How far away from the main language does a derivative language has to be before it is considered a dialect? As far as I know there are no English dialects, as compared to German which (as it sometimes seems) has a different dialect for every valley in the Swiss German part of Switzerland.
Old 19 February 2015, 06:50 PM

Yeah English has dialects. But I don't know if there's any way to measure exactly how far one form of a language has to be fro another before they're considered distinct dialects.
Old 19 February 2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
IIRC, there is High German and Low German. I know there used to be.
There was also a Middle Low German which just came up on a thread trying to sort out the language of an old book on my favorite history forum
Old 19 February 2015, 07:23 PM

I would say that different dialects exist when it is possible to separate them into two different dialects and classify either by the vocabulary or grammar of someone that speaks the dialect. For example, use of "ya'all" or "Coke" to mean any cola would identify a Southern American dialect.
Old 19 February 2015, 10:24 PM

Icon605 W-2 question

I found errors on my W-2 -- the first time I have had this happen to me since I began working in 1979
I have not filed my return yet -- I noticed the errors before I filed

my employer contacted our bookkeeper last week & yesterday, he gave her a copy of a W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, Copy D -- for Employer

the errors on my W-2 were:
my last name was misspelled
my street (home) address was incorrect

I am confused about what I do now
I reviewed the information on the IRS website and it seems to me that I file my return with the incorrect W-2 ...

has anyone had any experience with this situation & have any guidance

I would like to get my return filed

thanks
Old 19 February 2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
...How far away from the main language does a derivative language has to be before it is considered a dialect? As far as I know there are no English dialects, as compared to German which (as it sometimes seems) has a different dialect for every valley in the Swiss German part of Switzerland.
"A language is a dialect with an army and navy."

ETA. Partially misunderstood the question.
Old 19 February 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumichick View Post
I found errors on my W-2 -- the first time I have had this happen to me since I began working in 1979
I have not filed my return yet -- I noticed the errors before I filed

my employer contacted our bookkeeper last week & yesterday, he gave her a copy of a W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, Copy D -- for Employer

the errors on my W-2 were:
my last name was misspelled
my street (home) address was incorrect

I am confused about what I do now
I reviewed the information on the IRS website and it seems to me that I file my return with the incorrect W-2 ...

has anyone had any experience with this situation & have any guidance

I would like to get my return filed

thanks
That doesn't seem right to me, but I rely on Turbotax. I seem to recall that it asks about corrected W2s. You could try working through the free version of an online tax software. Or someone here will know the answer...
Old 20 February 2015, 12:19 AM

Agreed, I think you need a corrected W2, which should be the basis of your taxes. You could almost certainly file for an extension to the deadline based on the incorrect W2.
Old 20 February 2015, 05:43 AM

There is High German (Hochdeutsch), the language that is spoken for example on the TV news and is considered "proper" German, and then there are several German dialects, a group of which (spoken in the North of Germany, the East of the Netherlands and the South of Denmark) is called Low German (Niederdeutsch). Other German dialects, such as those spoken in the Rhineland (West Germany) and Bavaria (South Germany) don't belong to the Low German group of dialects.

And thanks to all of you, I can now change the language of the spell checker between English (UK) and German according to my needs. I learned something new today!
Old 20 February 2015, 11:47 AM

I don't see any point in filing with an incorrect W2, unless you're expecting a refund (even with the correction) and need that money. The IRS might just adjust the return per the corrected W2, but if they don't, you'd have to a file a 1040X, which isn't difficult but is a PITA, especially if you've received a refund and have to pay some of it back.
Closed Thread