snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 12 May 2008, 07:27 PM

'Sorry rocks' returned to sacred site

Hundreds of superstitious tourists said they are returning stones to Australia's sacred Ayers Rock because they bring bad luck.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/...red_site/6255/
Old 13 May 2008, 01:14 AM

Whalephant

The same thing apparently happens with fossilized wood from the Petrified Forest National Park, and with bits of lava from Hawaii. People succumb to the temptation to steal little bits for souvenirs, then feel guilty about it, and send 'em back.

Overall, it seems as if it'd be doing as much harm as good, considering the energy wasted in the transportation, the plastic and paper wasted in the packaging, etc. etc.

By the way, I've met people who seriously believe that we should return the Apollo lunar soil and rock samples to the Moon, because we have "unbalanced the solar system" by bringing them to the Earth. I've tried to explain tektites to these guys, but they are unable to see the relevance.

Silas
Old 13 May 2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
The same thing apparently happens with fossilized wood from the Petrified Forest National Park, and with bits of lava from Hawaii. People succumb to the temptation to steal little bits for souvenirs, then feel guilty about it, and send 'em back.

Silas
See its the guilt I think that's the issue. They feel guilty and therefore, because the entire universe revolves around their personal experiences, any bad luck must be because of the action they feel guilty for. It can't be just bad luck, or even bad choices - heaven forfend they actually take real responsibility for something, it must be karmic imbalance. And it makes the solution easy too - post it back with a little apology letter and all is good and they don't have to worry anymore.

Dropbear
Old 13 May 2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Hundreds of superstitious tourists said they are returning stones to Australia's sacred Ayers Rock because they bring bad luck.
Does this mean that there may be a chance that whoever took the rock that kept the lid on my compost from blowing off might return it?
Old 13 May 2008, 10:30 AM

Witch

There is an island called Blå Jungfrun in the Kalmar Sound between mainland Sweden and the island of Öland on the East coast where visiting boat people have taken stones as souvenirs only to find they bring bad luck. Every now and then the authoritie in the municipality it is in gets an anonymous package with a stone and a request to put it back on the island again.

But then, of course, Blå Jungfrun is also believed to be Blåkulla where the witches go on Maundy Thursday to dance with the Devil.

Last edited by Floater; 13 May 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 14 May 2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/...red_site/6255/
I heard that every now and then, the Greek government gets a truckload of small marble stones and spreads it near the Parthenon in Athens, as so many tourist were taking stones from the site.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
According to my father, you don't even have to leave the island for teh bad luck to begin.

See, he and my mother were on vacation on the big island and were on the last day of their trip. They were running late to get back to the airport and along the way dear dad had to go to the bathroom. Instead of pulling off the road to a rest stop, dad decided to relieve his bladder on the side of the road on some lava rocks. They were back on their way in a few short minutes. A few miles from the airport and they saw flashing lights behind them. Dad got a speeding ticket. They finally get to the airport and they get picked for extra security measures. Dad had to explain the hammer in his luggage (he bought it there), pay extra for excess baggage weight, almost missed the flight, and then had to wait on the tarmac for a good hour or so before they took off. Before the plane took off, trying to avert any more bad luck, Dad humbly expressed his utmost apologies to Pele for pissing her off.

Her final revenge came two months later in the form of a $265 traffic fine.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:41 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
. . . Dad humbly expressed his utmost apologies to Pele for pissing her off. . . .
Volcano goddesses have fiery tempers, I'm guessing!

That got me curious, so I just did some idle Googling, and found several pages of Hawaiian legends, many of which emphasize Pele's jealousy and anger.

(I think the Californian earth-gods are probably asleep; every so often, they toss and turn, but they rarely wake up completely. This is probably a good thing...)

Silas