its origin.

The version I've heard is that a practical joke played by drunken ice
fishing enthusiasts is to startle each other by swimming out of their own
fishing hole, yanking on their friend's fishing line and eventually
emerging up through their friend's fishing hole. As you might expect,
deaths have allegedly been reported as the jokers become disoriented while
underwater and drown in the process.
Old 19 February 2008, 11:47 AM

I doubt it. Swimming under the ice is very dangerous under the best of circumstances, and even if you do get up, you'll probably freeze to death if you don't get into the warmth immediately. Besides, the holes used for ice fishing is usually 10-15 cm, maybe slightly larger if going for larger fish, but I have never seen a drill larger than 20 cm. The jokers have to be pretty slim...

Whoever thought up this story knew nothing about ice fishing, cold weather or getting under the ice.
Old 19 February 2008, 12:23 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
I doubt it. Swimming under the ice is very dangerous under the best of circumstances, and even if you do get up, you'll probably freeze to death if you don't get into the warmth immediately. Besides, the holes used for ice fishing is usually 10-15 cm, maybe slightly larger if going for larger fish, but I have never seen a drill larger than 20 cm. The jokers have to be pretty slim...

Whoever thought up this story knew nothing about ice fishing, cold weather or getting under the ice.
Agreed, this would be a very bad idea in the best of circumstances.
Old 19 February 2008, 01:52 PM

The one time I went ice fishing, we used an augur to bore out a six-inch diameter hole in the ice. It's been a long time since I could fit through something like that.
Old 19 February 2008, 02:22 PM

Default Unless they were spearing

They could have been spearing though. Those holes you can fit into really well. I think my dad's spearing hole is 2' x 3' if I remember correctly. Of course, the cold water rule still applies, and you would see a person coming from a ways off if spearing (and the water was somewhat clear). But then, getting into the warmth wouldn't be an issue so much. I know my dad's dark house gets really warm while he's fishing.
Old 19 February 2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrin View Post
They could have been spearing though. Those holes you can fit into really well. I think my dad's spearing hole is 2' x 3' if I remember correctly. Of course, the cold water rule still applies, and you would see a person coming from a ways off if spearing (and the water was somewhat clear). But then, getting into the warmth wouldn't be an issue so much. I know my dad's dark house gets really warm while he's fishing.
Yeah, but the tale is about line fishing, not spearing. As stupid as trying to swim under the ice would be in the first place, how much stupider would one have to be to swim past a hole where someone is poised to thrust a sharpened barbed spear into ANYTHING that passes the opening! What an icehole!
Old 19 February 2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
They could have been spearing though. Those holes you can fit into really well. I think my dad's spearing hole is 2' x 3' if I remember correctly.
I didn't think about that, as spearing is illegal here. Still, there are too many dangers and uncomfortable moments for anyone sober enough to be able to lie on the ice without falling off to realize it's a very stupid idea.

Quote:
But then, getting into the warmth wouldn't be an issue so much. I know my dad's dark house gets really warm while he's fishing.
We don't use those ice fishing huts either here. We just have a small backpack that you can sit on, then we fish.
Old 19 February 2008, 03:36 PM

Icon86

Having fallen through to my waist once and had a leg go down through more than I'm willing to admit, I don't know how anyone- drunk or sober- could intentionally go under the ice. Not to mention, they'd have to strip down if they want to come back up. Winter-wear isn't water friendly. It took my Uncle Gerard and my Dad to pull me out of the hole with my snow-suit on and soaked and I was only 6-7. (Hand-chipped holes varied more in size and tended to be larger.)

Besides, it would scare the fish away.
Old 19 February 2008, 04:00 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribrats View Post
Having fallen through to my waist once and had a leg go down through more than I'm willing to admit, I don't know how anyone- drunk or sober- could intentionally go under the ice. Not to mention, they'd have to strip down if they want to come back up. Winter-wear isn't water friendly. It took my Uncle Gerard and my Dad to pull me out of the hole with my snow-suit on and soaked and I was only 6-7. (Hand-chipped holes varied more in size and tended to be larger.)

Besides, it would scare the fish away.
And it all gets worse once your head goes under the water.
Old 19 February 2008, 04:12 PM

Icon06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
And it all gets worse once your head goes under the water.
Yes, it does. I had a friend go under when his and his buddy's 4 wheelers went through. My friend drowned. While he was paralyzed from the waist down, he was still a very strong swimmer but they think his wet gear held him under.

I just can't imagine going under the ice intentionally no matter the state of mind without all the proper gear and training.
Old 19 February 2008, 11:55 PM

I doubt highly that it is a practice at all for another reason. besides the impracticality of it all, part of ice fishing is this. you're in a darkened hut so you can see down the hole. seeing a man swimming down there, he wouldn't have to pull the line, just jumping up through the hole would be enough to spook someone
Old 20 February 2008, 12:21 AM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
I doubt highly that it is a practice at all for another reason. besides the impracticality of it all, part of ice fishing is this. you're in a darkened hut so you can see down the hole. seeing a man swimming down there, he wouldn't have to pull the line, just jumping up through the hole would be enough to spook someone
:o I've never been inside a bobhouse.

We also built bonfires (until they banned it), have a half-dozen couples, all the kids, and cookouts on the ice. Icefishing was an all day event and it wasn't uncommon to spend the day on skates. Of course, living on the pond made that easier to do. But we'd go to lakes and such.
Old 20 February 2008, 01:54 AM

Icon19

Even if this was feasible, it wouldn't be a very good prank.

"Yes, I'm soaked and freezing now, but you should have seen the look your face!"
Old 20 February 2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
he was still a very strong swimmer but they think his wet gear held him under.
If there is any current under the ice, it will also make it a lot harder to get up, as it will try to pull you under the ice.

Quote:
We also built bonfires (until they banned it), have a half-dozen couples, all the kids, and cookouts on the ice. Icefishing was an all day event and it wasn't uncommon to spend the day on skates.
Yep, that's more or less a typical family event here as well, although bonfires are not banned here.

Usually, the ice here is over 50 cm thick, sometimes as much as 1 m, so there is no risk of going through the ice. In some places, we even have roads over the ice in the winter (Östersund has such a road, I think there's a ferry in the summer).
Old 20 February 2008, 05:46 PM
diving_cecil

Well I can put this thought to rest. I would not do that with a dry suit, safety line and scuba gear. Under the ice is way dangerous and to be avoided at all costs.

Interestingly enough, under ice is not only wicked dangerous for divers it is the same for submarines. We had some rigorous procedures to follow on the sub under ice. Not the place to loose power.
Old 20 February 2008, 07:03 PM

Spear fishing? SPEAR FISHING?

"Hey dere Ole, chust watch dis. I'm gonna dive in our hole, here, see, an' swim under Sven's hole over dere, an' he's gonna chunk a big ol' sharp spear in me an' t'ink he got a walleye, an' I'm gonna just laugh!"

"Ummm. . . ya know, ya better re-think dat dere, or you're gonna wind up in a Lake Wobegon monologue one o' dese days."