snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 21 February 2008, 12:13 AM

Icon402 McShock: Blade cuts girl in kiddies' play tunnel

Security has been increased at McDonald's in New Plymouth after a staff member's stomach was sliced open by a blade left in a the play tunnel.

http://stuff.co.nz/4408429a11.html
Old 21 February 2008, 12:14 AM

Police Police, Labour Dept investigate McDonald's incident

Police and the Department of Labour are investigating an incident at McDonald's in New Plymouth after a young worker's stomach was sliced open while cleaning the playground.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dailyne...8944a6002.html
Old 21 February 2008, 12:30 AM

Icon402

Quote:
While McDonald's was confident that there was no evidence that the razors had been left by a member of the public...
Then who left them? Aliens?
Old 21 February 2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
Then who left them? Aliens?
Obviously the CIA, who are in every way only members of the private.
Old 21 February 2008, 12:55 AM
KKHB

Ugh... do these people not know how many years I have been arguing about snakes in the ball pens and razor blades on the water slides ULs with my extended family? Now they have to go and do something like this and just prove that my sister-in-law was right (at least she will interpret it that way) and that we really shouldn't let our kids play in the play lands....

But more to the point:
Quote:
But McDonald's head office says it is confident that the blades found were not left as a malicious act...
Not a malicious act? Did some child (since adults aren't supposed to be on/in the equipment anyway) accidentally leave their blades behind? Maybe they just carried them in their pockets and they slipped out?

How odd.
Old 21 February 2008, 01:47 AM
Marie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHB View Post
Not a malicious act? Did some child (since adults aren't supposed to be on/in the equipment anyway) accidentally leave their blades behind? Maybe they just carried them in their pockets and they slipped out?
I understand what you mean, and I'm not saying it wasn't a malicious act.... but just speaking from experience here, it could happen. When I was seven/eight years old, I loved playing in the kiddie stuff at fast food places. I was also a cutter, and regularly carried razor blades in my pockets. They never fell out, but I'm trying to show that it could happen.
Old 21 February 2008, 02:17 AM
Ezri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie19 View Post
I understand what you mean, and I'm not saying it wasn't a malicious act.... but just speaking from experience here, it could happen. When I was seven/eight years old, I loved playing in the kiddie stuff at fast food places. I was also a cutter, and regularly carried razor blades in my pockets. They never fell out, but I'm trying to show that it could happen.
You were a cutter when you were 8? Did anyone else read that statement that way or was it just me?

Personally I've always been WAY too claustraphobic to play in those tunnels.
Old 21 February 2008, 03:09 PM
Laberoon

I can see how that would happen. I work in a leisure centre which has a childrens play area. Sometimes the parents will go in for a few minutes if its not busy to reassure the child, and sometimes they will drop things out of their pockets.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezri View Post
You were a cutter when you were 8? Did anyone else read that statement that way or was it just me?

Personally I've always been WAY too claustraphobic to play in those tunnels.
as a hijack here, I started cutting when I was approx. 7 or 8 as well. I could never reach razor blades though, so I carried scissors, and sometimes broken glass.

back to the OP, I hope she wasn't too seriously injured.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:46 PM

Am I the only one somewhat surprised that they were actually cleaning the playpens? Even as a kid I wouldn't go near those things because they were always so dirty.
Old 21 February 2008, 08:16 PM
KKHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banrion View Post
Am I the only one somewhat surprised that they were actually cleaning the playpens? Even as a kid I wouldn't go near those things because they were always so dirty.
One of my boys works part-time at McDonald's with a play land. His most dreaded task is cleaning the play pen. He does it routinely though, more often than I would have thought given the usual state. But that too probably explains why they are so dirty...it is 16 year old kids who don't want to do it that are responsible for the cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
as a hijack here, I started cutting when I was approx. 7 or 8 as well. I could never reach razor blades though, so I carried scissors, and sometimes broken glass.
I am an admittedly overprotective parent, and probably too micro-managing of my kids than is good for them, but I can say without a doubt that none of mine at that age would have been able to carry razor blades or scissors in their pockets without my knowledge. And if I knew about such a thing...well they still would not have carried them around.

It never occurred to me that a child young enough to be in the play area (son's McD's has a height limit of 42") would be inclined to carry cutting implements.
Old 22 February 2008, 04:40 AM
Marie19

*cringes* Yes, I was a cutter that young. I think it started when I was 6 or so. And it took until I was 12 for my mom to catch on. And I carried razor blades and small shards of glass everywhere I went. So yeah.

And now that it's mentioned, I am a little surprised that they were cleaning them. lol I remember when I was young, I'd often see them hosing down the ground around the play area, but I don't remember ever seeing them actually cleaning the inside.
Old 22 February 2008, 02:24 PM
Laberoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie19 View Post
but I don't remember ever seeing them actually cleaning the inside.
Cleaning the inside of these kinds of play areas is the best/worst bit. It can be fun, unless some child feels unwell... in the ball pit... in the middle of the day...
Old 02 March 2008, 12:10 AM

Icon102 Fast food worker cut by pen, not razor

A broken pen and not a razor blade is being blamed for cutting a teenage staff member in a McDonald's restaurant Playland tunnel.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominio...7885a6479.html
Old 02 March 2008, 01:56 AM

Ahem... "The incident... has been found to be an accident caused by a broken pen belonging to the crew person."

Does this mean it was her very own pen that cut her very own stomach? Wow, how embarrassing!
Old 02 March 2008, 02:31 AM
KKHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menolly View Post
Does this mean it was her very own pen that cut her very own stomach? Wow, how embarrassing!
I know I shouldn't laugh but you just know that after this:

Quote:
"Someone has shoved razor blades inside a broken pen and put it inside the tunnel," Miss Daurua said.

"They are so lucky it happened to me and not a kid."

She is frustrated McDonald's has done nothing to alert police of the incident which occurred about 8.30pm on January 24.
She has to be embarrassed. I have a personal policy of trying to find a logical (or harmless) explanation when bad things happen instead of immediately jumping to someone did something to be mean or spiteful. I think that Miss Daurua should adopt a similar policy before speaking to the press about how awful McDonald's is for not being more concerned and publicly threatening to quit her job over it (not that quitting her minimum wage job is much of a threat to McDonald's, mind).