snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 May 2015, 01:59 PM

Icon102 ‘Natural’ illusions: Biologist’s failed attempt to defend organic food

I had always considered myself a rational and science-minded person so I was upset when I first heard people object to GMOs for reasons such as not wanting genes in their food (in the late nineties, when the topic was still very new and knowledge scarce) or just because ‘it wasn’t natural’, which I saw as a fear of the unknown. Later on I was incredibly frustrated to find that a lot of people opposed standard vaccinations going counter to scientific evidence. So when I stumbled on a Facebook page called “We love vaccines and GMOs”, though I didn’t exactly think of my view on genetic engineering as ‘love’, I was happy to find a place to share my frustration. But as I started following their posts I was confronted with something that gave me pause. There were several that criticised organic farming.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.or...-organic-food/