snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 09 January 2011, 08:21 AM

Read This! Five myths about why the South seceded

As the nation begins to commemorate the anniversaries of the war's various battles -- from Fort Sumter to Appomattox -- let's dispense with some of the more prevalent myths about why it all began.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010703178.html
Old 09 January 2011, 12:45 PM

Being from the deep South, I know some of the real reasons for secession:
  • Abraham Lincoln smelled funny.
  • In the Senate, the Senators from the North used to giggle whenever one of our boys would say "Y'all."
  • It was all about breakfast. Came down to scrapple vs. grits.
  • The Devil made us do it.
  • We still insist there should be a "p" in "Fort Sum(p)ter."
  • We got sick of furriners calling us "Yankees."
  • Oh, and slavery.
Old 09 January 2011, 03:01 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
  • It was all about breakfast. Came down to scrapple vs. grits.
Now I see why it lasted so long and killed so many. Darn you, Brad, now I want some scrapple and grits! And some hardtack...
Old 09 January 2011, 05:33 PM

Scrapple? What good Yankee eats scrapple? I learned about scrapple from my Kentucky-born dad, which makes it border state food at best.

On a more serious note, I'm glad to see articles like this being written. I'd be even gladder if I thought they'd be widely read and the content absorbed and understood.
Old 09 January 2011, 05:41 PM

Jaded

If you're going to write an article covering "Five myths about why the South seceded," you should probably start out with five myths about why the South seceded, not three. The last two entries really don't have anything to do with that topic; they're just ancillary slavery-related issues.
Old 09 January 2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
It was all about breakfast. Came down to scrapple vs. grits.
I'm reminded of the Onion headline "Mason-Dixon line renamed Ihop/Waffle House Line."
Old 09 January 2011, 09:09 PM

Ponder

So the South seceded because they......wanted to? Is that the message that this article is trying to convey?
Old 09 January 2011, 09:11 PM

It's attempting to debunk the idea that secession was not about slavery. It absolutely was.
Old 10 January 2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Scrapple? What good Yankee eats scrapple? I learned about scrapple from my Kentucky-born dad, which makes it border state food at best. ...
Scrapple is popular in Pennsylvania. Maryland, too, but it's arguable if you would call Marylanders "Yankees."

Nick
Old 10 January 2011, 03:44 AM

Another border state. And the Maryland state song was definitely not written by a Yankee:

Quote:
The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland, My Maryland!
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland, My Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!
The despot referred to was Abraham Lincoln.
Old 10 January 2011, 04:17 AM

Pretty sure that Pennsylvania is scrapple "ground zero," though.

Nick
Old 10 January 2011, 05:35 AM

The first point - slavery rather than states' rights - is interesting... considering that the "right" in question was slavery. The Northern states didn't like them owning slaves - for either the moral OR economic reasons - and the Southern states didn't want to stop. It WAS states' rights - over the ownership of slaves.

It's like saying that WWII was fought over the popularity of schnitzel versus hamburgers. Sure, it MAY have been, but both are total misrepresentations.

The South didn't want to give up their slaves... which was (at the time) their right. The North - headed up by the Feds - argued with that right.

How is this NOT about states' rights?
Old 10 January 2011, 12:02 PM

According to the article, the Southern states didn't want the Northern states to have the right to abstain from any participation in slavery. They wanted Northern states to return escaped slaves, and they wanted to bring their slaves with them when they traveled North. If it truly were about states rights, they would have supported the right of each state to abstain from or participate in slavery as decided by the citizenry of that state.
Old 10 January 2011, 02:25 PM

Right. In fact, Lincoln won the 1860 election because the Democrats split on states' rights issues - Stephen Douglas, who had debated Lincoln across Illinois in 1858, was an advocate of "popular sovereignty" (that is, of letting the territories decide whether they wanted slavery or not) faced off against John Breckenridge, whose opinion was basically to just make all the new territories below the Mason-Dixon line slave-owning regardless. If memory serves, these two factions had their own conventions and everything, and given that Lincoln scored barely a third of the vote (there was a 4th contender that year who ran for the "Free Soil" party), it's pretty obvious that he wouldn't have won, and the war might have been delayed another 4 years, had the Northern and Southern Democrats not split.
Old 10 January 2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post
According to the article, the Southern states didn't want the Northern states to have the right to abstain from any participation in slavery. They wanted Northern states to return escaped slaves, and they wanted to bring their slaves with them when they traveled North. If it truly were about states rights, they would have supported the right of each state to abstain from or participate in slavery as decided by the citizenry of that state.
States' rights means that, for example, Missouri can let 16-year-old marry and not cousins, while Arkansas can let cousins marry but not 16-year-olds.* It doesn't mean, and never has meant, that Missouri can refuse to recognize the Arkansas marriage of two cousins, and Arkansas can refuse to recognize the Missouri marriage of two 16-year-olds.

* purely hypothetical. I don't know either state's laws.
Old 10 January 2011, 04:53 PM

Read This!

What about the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution? Of course then there's that whole Defense of Marriage Act thing... Did that ever get ruled unconstitutional?
Old 10 January 2011, 05:01 PM

But in addition, there was this:

Quote:
In addition, they objected that New England states let black men vote and tolerated abolitionist societies. According to South Carolina, states should not have the right to let their citizens assemble and speak freely when what they said threatened slavery.
Old 10 January 2011, 05:38 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
If memory serves, these two factions had their own conventions and everything, and given that Lincoln scored barely a third of the vote (there was a 4th contender that year who ran for the "Free Soil" party), it's pretty obvious that he wouldn't have won, and the war might have been delayed another 4 years, had the Northern and Southern Democrats not split.
Not so. Lincoln totaled considerably more electoral votes than the other three candidates combined, all from free states. His 40% of the popular vote would still have placed him in the White House even if the other 60% of the vote had all gone for a single Democratic candidate.
Old 10 January 2011, 05:57 PM

Huh. I stand corrected. It looks like in a way the Dems splitting might have headed off a larger issue with the electoral college, as Lincoln got more than 50% of the vote in most every Union state (he did lose New Jersey) and overall would have only lost Oregon and California (at the time worth a total of just 7 electoral votes) had Breckenridge, Douglas, and Bell been able to pool their votes. That would have left Lincoln with 173 electoral votes to 134 for everybody else. And 39.8% of the popular vote. If you thought 2000 was contentious...
Old 10 January 2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
What about the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution? Of course then there's that whole Defense of Marriage Act thing... Did that ever get ruled unconstitutional?
That is my question too. In Wyoming, they are trying to amend the state constitution to allow Wyoming to not recognize any gay marriage performed anywhere. Huh? Can they do that?